Steering Components Recommendations for a 73

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy friends, it's about that time on my 1973 Coupe project to pick steering components and would like some feedback from fellow owners.

I have installed the Total Control Products front coil over conversion kit on the front, here's a video of that installation if anyone is interested

Last weekend I got the sub-frame connectors welded in so the suspension and chassis is looking very good. My goal for the car is to make a great driver and "weekend warrior" track day/ autocross vehicle so if anyone with that type of experience in their Mustangs could offer input...it would be greatly appreciated!

TCP offers a rack and pinion setup for a Fairlane that I am pretty sure we could make work if people here want to see that or I could just call Lee Manufacturing to get a short ratio stock style Borg Warner box.

Thoughts or input ????

4clhruV.jpg

If you have the budget to swing a rack setup, that would be pretty cool. The stock PS boxes are Saginaw. I got a quick ratio reman from redhead steering out of Seattle. That along with fresh tie rods, maybe a bump steer kit would make a major difference over stock. I think TCP offers outer tie rod bump steer eliminator kits.

If you have the budget to swing a rack setup, that would be pretty cool. The stock PS boxes are Saginaw. I got a quick ratio reman from redhead steering out of Seattle. That along with fresh tie rods, maybe a bump steer kit would make a major difference over stock. I think TCP offers outer tie rod bump steer eliminator kits.
Thanks for the input, that's very helpful. It's a tough call...I'm just curious if anyone else had done the rack and pinion thing and afterwards really considered it worth the effort.

Since I'm spending your money, and not mine, I would upgrade the box. Then do a custom rack TCP rack install and compare the two.

:D

On the earlier cars the feedback on the TCP rack conversion is overwhelmingly positive. The 71-73 is on the list of stuff to make but it hasn't made it to the top yet. Kinda like how I'm still sitting downstairs with two different brands of computer monitors instead of upstairs with the cool kids. Someday.

Last edited by a moderator:
All,

I could not find a Total Control Product Rack and Pinion setup for the 71-73 Mustangs. Total Control Products do have a listing for 1965 thru 1970. I sent my Variable Ratio Saginaw to http://www.powersteering.com/ and had it converted to the 12.7:1 Fast Ratio Steering. What a difference it made during the installation.

mustang7173

All,

So, I wrote RRS about the 71-73 Mustang Rack and Pinion for Left Hand steering mustangs. Here is the response.

Hello David

Thank you for your email inquiry. YES RRS do manufacture a RRS GT rack & pinion specifically to suit 1971 – 1973 LHD Mustang. We manufacture both Manual system @ $US1915 plus freight and Power system @ $US2055. RRS can also provide pump kit and hydraulic lines to suit. (attch)

· Power rack & pinion to suit LHD 71 – 73 Mustang including brackets, inner tie rods, NEW inner shaft, universal joints & bearing kit -to fit original stg.column use original LHD bolt holes to secure brackets

· Precise, faster ratio, feels like a modern car

· Compact

· Allows more room for header and bigger engine (in the future)

· Easy to fit

· Full warranty

· Proven reliability – RRS 15 years of trading

· Specifically made to suit your 71- 73 LHD Mustang

· Superior to anything else on the market

RRS products work in conjunction with original parts and can be installed in stages.

RRS offer a large range of products with FULL warranty specializing in Ford uni-body i.e. 1960 – 1987. RRS an international supplier for over 15 years provide products to suit both left hand drive and right hand drive vehicles Catalogue: click here http://www.rrs-online.com

RRS is an Australian owned and Australian manufacturing company designing and developing new, innovative, engineer proven, Government approved aftermarket automotive steering and suspension products.

· RRS products out performs everything else in the market

· RRS best value for money

· Full technical and service back up

· Full product warranty

· Has been assessed to the highest government standards

· Comfort and excellent handling characteristics are achieved

Please enjoy the u-tube video, photos and RRS catalogue below:

http://www.rrs-online.com/ RRS stub axle information

http://www.rrs-online.com/xy-ho-gt-fitout.php –RRS install HO GT XY

I did not think that a Rack and Pinion setup was available. Well, I am wrong on that front.

mustang7173

All,

I could not find a Total Control Product Rack and Pinion setup for the 71-73 Mustangs.

mustang7173
Right, there is not currently a TCP rack package specific to the 71-73; this is why I suggested doing a custom installation if the box doesn't work out.

This 71 has the TCP rack which was custom installed.

71leads911.jpg

Hello Carl,

Does TCP plan on offering a Rack and Pinion set up or even offer the brackets to install a rack and pinion from a Ford product.
We plan to, it just hasn't made it to the top of the project list, yet. It will be built completely in-house just like the one for the earlier cars. Frankly, we haven't had much request for them which is why they haven't made it higher up the list yet.

The thing is that the 71-73 gets less attention from people looking to modify their cars and more from people who want to keep them stock. At least that has been my experience.

I'd say go for the 12.7:1 box. I understand the desire to scrap the hydro assist power steering system on the earlier mustangs, but we already have decent steering gear on our 71-73's. I plan on ditching my pump for the easier to tune later Saginaw pump.

The later pumps are easy to tune, you can add washers inside to the pressure regulating piston to lower the pressure of the pump, making the steering feedback greater, and making it feel more modern.

After trying a reman '73 pump that hit the shock tower, I started looking into the Saginaw pump.

What's the best year/make/model pump to search for? I have a 351c with '70 heads.

Thanks,

Alton

After trying a reman '73 pump that hit the shock tower, I started looking into the Saginaw pump.

What's the best year/make/model pump to search for? I have a 351c with '70 heads.

Thanks,

Alton
I ran into this same problem. I had a cardone and it had a new housing that caused it to hit because it is deeper. I went back until I found one with an original housing and the differences was 1/4" which is my current clearance.

I'd say go for the 12.7:1 box. I understand the desire to scrap the hydro assist power steering system on the earlier mustangs, but we already have decent steering gear on our 71-73's. I plan on ditching my pump for the easier to tune later Saginaw pump.

The later pumps are easy to tune, you can add washers inside to the pressure regulating piston to lower the pressure of the pump, making the steering feedback greater, and making it feel more modern.
I would like to hear more on this:

"easier to tune later Saginaw pump" Where is the tuning part come in?

I already have the 12.7:1 box with high effort valve.

Back