Steering lock mechanism loose?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach1, 2003 Cobra coupe
2012-02-21_212348_ford_mustang_locking_steering_columns+locking_steering_column_diagram_t_bolts.jpgOn my 72 Mach1 I cannot remove the key after turning the car off unless I twist the half inch wide piece on the column that is just below the flange casting. Do I just need to take off the wheel and look to see if something is broken inside? Has anyone had this problem and how did you fix it? I have attached a diagram. Thanks

Mine needs to be adjusted because the steering wheel lock is just a tad out of adjustment and I have to position the cylinder just right to get it to lock. I've been putting it off because to adjust it I have to drop the column to make the adjustment. I'm not sure what to tell you about your problem but I think somebody in the forum should be able to help you. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
On my 72 Mach1 I cannot remove the key after turning the car off unless I twist the half inch wide piece on the column that is just below the flange casting. Do I just need to take off the wheel and look to see if something is broken inside? Has anyone had this problem and how did you fix it? I have attached a diagram. Thanks
Rex, that is controlled by the lock out rod

Runs from column to trans linkage

I would start there.

It has a slotted end for adjustment

vamach1,

+ 1 with OMS and look at the Lock tube bushing per this diagram.

6fxesk.jpg

Source: Ford Motor Company Master Parts, May 1975

mustang7173 :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back