steering vibration

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By any chance have you tried swapping the front tires to the rear to see if the condition changes? It may narrow the troubleshooting down a little if the symptoms move or if they don't then you know it's probably not the tire that causing the vibration. Good luck.

Tom

By any chance have you tried swapping the front tires to the rear to see if the condition changes? It may narrow the troubleshooting down a little if the symptoms move or if they don't then you know it's probably not the tire that causing the vibration. Good luck.

Tom
Hi,

Have not because they are brand new tires and 3 good wheels along with one brand new wheel. I have 235's in the front on 15x7 wheels and 245's in the rear on 15x8 wheels. Not sure if I could put those up front.  If I can I might try that at some point.  Thanks

Yesterday, I went to a car show about 45 miles away, so a nice drive to and from (except for crappy weather on the way home!)

Now, I know all the front end on my car is good and I too have new tires, BFG's on newish Magnum 500's. 235 x60x14 on 7'

s in front and 245x60x14 on 8's in the rear. However, I noticed a slight vibration that was not apparent before hand. Even my daughter noticed it and she's for sure a gear head! I suspect a wheel has thrown a stick-on weight. Or one or more of my wheels was not balanced correctly, but that is unlikely as the vibration was not that apparent before. 

As it's getting close to putting the car away for winter and I plan on dropping the rear axle for a rebuild/service, I'll take my wheels back to be checked, ready for spring and that can't come soon enough!!

Message here, check your wheel weights and rebalance if necessary.

Geoff.

One more question concerning the  tail shaft bushing in the C6 trans.  One mechanic that was trying to locate the vibration told me it was the tail shaft bushing.  This was based  on the following :  he grabbed the driveshaft just aft of the tail shaft housing and was able to move the tail shaft up and down app.  1/8" to a 1/4 " .  He said that was the problem, worn tail shaft bushing.  I had the car at an old school transmission shop.  The owner did the same thing and stated, "no problem here, normal movement" Said it has to have some play in it or it would wear out prematurely.  After looking at varius sources it seems like there should be no play, that is what the u-joints are for.  Who is right ?  Thanks

Steve
No play. The yoke must fit as a glove, the bushing is there to do what bushings do. not support or compensate any play.

Just redid my 71 driveshaft and u-bolts must have zero play other than be able to move freely and smoothly in the perpendicular plane to the shaft for the rear and on two axes for the front one. Any u-bolt with play will generate vibrations are are likely to break under load or at sustained speed very quickly. If the front one breaks that can lead to a very dangerous situation too.

If u-bolts bearings are worn, usually when one of the needles breaks, the play should be small at first. if more, as you describe, its been neglected/ignored for way too long.

If you do the fix yourself, I'm sure many manufacturers do good parts, but I know after replacing both sets of my mustangs, that Moog offers very good quality. These are inexpensive ( +- $15 a piece) and can be replaced in matter of minutes if you do not restore/paint the shaft.

Know that you do not need special tools other than sockets if you like me do not have a big enough vice to press them out (I do since this weekend).

In case its your first time, if of any help, here's the step my step procedure that I did for my old rusty 71 driveshaft 3 or 4 weeks ago.

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-fabrice-s-429cj-71-project?page=36

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom
Hi,

Have not because they are brand new tires and 3 good wheels along with one brand new wheel. I have 235's in the front on 15x7 wheels and 245's in the rear on 15x8 wheels. Not sure if I could put those up front.  If I can I might try that at some point.  Thanks

I'm running 255/60-15 on the front with 15x8 wheels, and could probably go larger. Swap them front to back.

Tom
Hi,

I'm running 255/60-15 on the front with 15x8 wheels, and could probably go larger. Swap them front to back.

As always great advice and help !!! Anyone know where you can get an inexspensive tail shaft bushing puller ?  I would like to pull the tail shaft bushing without removing the tailpiece ?  Thanks again.

Do you have an Autozone or O'Reilly's or other parts store in your area? They typically have them to borrow for NC, just take a deposit and refund it when you return it.

Stuff the end of the transmission with WonderBread (some suggest wheel bearing grease) and then use the driveshaft yoke to push it in even further. It will force the bearing out the rear as the stuffing has to go somewhere...

Cleaning the stuffing out is another matter...

Hello,

Would like to install new tailshaft bushing and rear trans seal.  I don't have the proper tools to install with tailpiece in vehicle, may not have the room either.  May be easier to remove the tailpiece and install these new parts.  How would I do this ?  I know how to remove the drive shaft but am not sure about supporting the trans and exactly what parts I have to remove to get the tail piece out.  Four bolts to actually remove the tail piece, but the tail piece is also attached to the trans mount.  Any pointers/advice would be apprecitated. I also swapped wheels/tires back to front and vice versa, made no difference in the vibration. I did check the yoke where it enters into the tail piece and there is distinct play in this area, thinking the tailshaft bushing is worn out.  Thanks 

online image hosting

online image hosting

Back