Stereo upgrade

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe59287

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Vert-Mach 1 tribute.
Kona Blue/Silver, white top
351C
Up next on the chalkboard is stereo. I have been looking hard at the Custom Autosound Slidebar. http://www.cjponyparts.com/custom-autosound-slidebar-radio-classic-look-300w-with-lcd-display-1967-1973/p/CAMLMSBR/

I just listen to music off my phone these days and don't really need Bluetooth in a convertible, so this seems to fit my needs. I plan on a small amp, replacing the dash speaker, running some 6 1/2s to the rear panels and maybe run some door speakers when I get to my interior build.

Does anyone have any experience with this unit? Any input would be appreciated.

Dang it, I searched and everything! Sorry for the duplicate thread. I hate being the effing new guy!

Dang it, I searched and everything! Sorry for the duplicate thread. I hate being the effing new guy!
Don't worry about being the fn new guy, we all have been there! Welcome to the site. I put a new custom autosound in my ride and love it! You can hook up any of your devices, plus its digital, sounds great & you can go Bluetooth if you want. I downloaded a ton of music on a flash drive, there is a lead they give you to connect to, & I put in glove box, awesome!

Again, welcome to the site. Its the best one you'll find! :)

I had a near identical, but older model in my 72 and my 69 Torino came with a Custom Autosound radio in it. My review: average to below average at best.

PROs: Looks stock-ish

CONs: $$$ for the money, sound quality is poor, USB quit working after 2 weeks, cheaply made.

Recommendation: If you aren't stuck with stock, get the aftermarket 1 DIN panel and get a solid Sony radio for $100.

Oh yeah, I'm not kidding - custom autosound really are low quality and have a high failure rate.

Oh yeah, I'm not kidding - custom autosound really are low quality and have a high failure rate.
I have recently heard the same thing at a few cruise nights, by multiple people who received the radios for Christmas, and are now using them, they were hoping for much better sound and performance.

Their clams were the Price to quality ratio was poor, and not worth the money.

Ok,

Quality means how the head will sound, how it performs, and how long it will last.

The first two items above pass with flying colors ON THIS PARTICULAR NEW RELEASE MODEL. How long will it last? I don't know, and only time will tell on that score, as i've just purchased the new head and just installed it in my '73 Mach 1.

Remember, choice of speakers play a crucial part in the equation as to how a system ends up sounding as well.

I would put this model up against my new Alpine head i recently bought for my '73 Convertible any day. Everything i said in my review holds true for me. My new system sounds fantastic and performs very, very well.

You make your final decision.

Greg.:)

Buy a repro bezel, cut it for 1 din. Install deck of choice.

IMG_2034.jpg

Greg,

My comment was going by what I heard others say at a Cruise nights, not personal experience.

they were commenting about poor FM reception, and FM playback sound quality.

the USB and AUX play back were good.

and they all seem to have the same complaint.

Buy a repro bezel, cut it for 1 din. Install deck of choice.

IMG_2034.jpg
That's not the look I'm going for.

Based on Austin Vert's review, as well as one of my friends locally raving about it in his '70 Mach 1, I'd be inclined to give the USA-630 a shot.

My two cents: I had originally wanted that unit for my '71 years ago when I first read about it, but after reading some of the reviews and discovering some of the things I needed (Bluetooth/hands-free, for instance) were add-on components, I went with a Retrosound Model 2. It doesn't have the slidebar function, but everything else is included... and a slightly more expensive price (but still less than adding the extra features to the USA-630). To make the Retrosound Model 2 'look' more OEM, they currently offer a static mask (think "screen protector") which tends to make the LED display difficult to read except when it's dark, and even then it's blocked out a bit in strategic places.

I paired it up with Retrosound speakers for the doors as well as rear deck (with Retrosound 6x9 adapters - non-folding rear seat), and it honestly sounds as good, if not better, than my 2012 Ram factory stereo. Once I get to the point of building a custom box and amp perch for the trunk, I'll be adding 2 MTX Terminator 10" subs to the mix.

Speakers make a huge difference as well, as he eluded to - he already had quality speakers in-place from his previous high-end stereo installation, so swapping out a head unit probably had little effect on the overall sound. Tuneability becomes the issue now (does the USA_630 have the same or similar custom audio sound adjustment capability as the old unit it's replacing?).

Again though - Greg knows his stuff, has been there, and replaced a high-end unit with his new USA-630 and loves it. Not much gray area there, I'd have to say. ;) :D

Hope this helps!

Based on Austin Vert's review, as well as one of my friends locally raving about it in his '70 Mach 1, I'd be inclined to give the USA-630 a shot.

My two cents: I had originally wanted that unit for my '71 years ago when I first read about it, but after reading some of the reviews and discovering some of the things I needed (Bluetooth/hands-free, for instance) were add-on components, I went with a Retrosound Model 2. It doesn't have the slidebar function, but everything else is included... and a slightly more expensive price (but still less than adding the extra features to the USA-630). To make the Retrosound Model 2 'look' more OEM, they currently offer a static mask (think "screen protector") which tends to make the LED display difficult to read except when it's dark, and even then it's blocked out a bit in strategic places.

I paired it up with Retrosound speakers for the doors as well as rear deck (with Retrosound 6x9 adapters - non-folding rear seat), and it honestly sounds as good, if not better, than my 2012 Ram factory stereo. Once I get to the point of building a custom box and amp perch for the trunk, I'll be adding 2 MTX Terminator 10" subs to the mix.

Speakers make a huge difference as well, as he eluded to - he already had quality speakers in-place from his previous high-end stereo installation, so swapping out a head unit probably had little effect on the overall sound. Tuneability becomes the issue now (does the USA_630 have the same or similar custom audio sound adjustment capability as the old unit it's replacing?).

Again though - Greg knows his stuff, has been there, and replaced a high-end unit with his new USA-630 and loves it. Not much gray area there, I'd have to say. ;) :D

Hope this helps!
Cheers Eric,

Radio station performance, can be effected by a few different things, which i won't go into. However, when i tested my new Slidebar, it performed very well for me in relation to where i live, my station's outputs, Don's new removable antenna, and the heads ability to pull in the signals both AM &FM, AND DELIVER A GOOD QUALITY SOUND.

Thanks,

Greg.:)

I actually deleted my antenna altogether, and went with a Retrosound antenna signal amplifier module that's currently mounted under the dashboard, where the center speaker is supposed to go.

I'll vouch for it, because it's pulling in stations a lot cleaner than my other vehicles with their stick antennas from Abilene, TX - over 90 miles away while sitting in my garage and under the metal carport.

Restomods rule - or should I say, "Restomods - No Rules!" ::thumb::

After much contemplation on the Tree of Woe, I've decided to go all in on the Custom Autosound Slidebar. I'll keep everyone updated on how it goes.

As an aside, Retail Me Not has a 5% coupon for CJ Pony Parts along with free shipping if you happen to need anything...saved me $15 on radio and new dash speaker.

+1 on the Retrosound Model 2 - I installed the same system in my "72 Mach 1, and love the sound and look.

Hope this helps!

Back