Still no dash lights!!!!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1, Q code 351CJ, 4 speed.
I put the steering column in last night and now have break lights and windshield wipers.  Headlights, tail lights and dome light work as well.  I have ignition power. I still do not have dash lights!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

-I checked the fuse and get an audible OHM signal

-I have 3 grounds attached

- 1 is a double wire ground to the bottom middle of the dash near the dash brace.

- 1 is to the buzzer board

- 1 is a 2 wire connection to the cigar lighter housing

-I replaced all of the light bulbs with LED's a the turn signals.  Those take a special type LED to allow them to blink right?  

***I don't have any bulbs at all in the turn signal spots. This shouldn't matter should it?

-I don't have the heater controls hooked up.  This shouldn't matter should it?

Dash LED lamps may very well be polarized, so they can only work with a certain insertion direction. Don't forget to pull the headlight switch out when testing, and rotate all the way (I forget CW or CCW) until you feel a detent, which is all the way on, IIRC.

[Those take a special type LED to allow them to blink right?]

It take a special flasher, not special leds, unless you'd buy some extra resistor with them.

The LEDs do not draw enuff current to make the original bimetal contact bend.

Ordered this one

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Electronic-Turn-Signal-Flasher-Relay-LED-2-Prong-Round-Style/132155733170?hash=item1ec51874b2:g:ggwAAOSwpkFY7Dnp&vxp=mtr

and its basically old one out , new in, and you done. Fits 100% the harness connector.

Seen the exact same one with price multiplied by ten many times...

In case you are as young and flexible as I am (not)

To test very quickly my circuits under dash before getting stuck with a nasty muscle cramp, I use a simple "needle" like thingy similar to this one.

Once grounded, you have one hand free, and its just a matter of touching wires/connectors where ever its supposed to be juice.

Its no replacement for a volt/ohm meter of course, just a super handy to check/follow circuits. Thought i'd mention it!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Auto-Car-Motorcycle-Circuit-Tester-6V-12V-24Volt-Gauge-Test-Voltmeter-Light-ZY/122896127502?epid=875515892&hash=item1c9d2e160e:g:qG8AAOSw2xRYQU66

today i was putting in a new speedo cable . and has the instrument cluster pulled out a ways and the instrument lights worked then no  it turned out that the plug on the back of the panel was  loos and i moved it around and the lights work move and they don't  hope this helps

Back