Summit 5200 camshaft gear to cam bolt size

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilPuppetMaster

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Mach 1 Q - code
Hey guys

Just finished installing my new summit cam(5200) and realize that my old cam bolt does not fit.

Has anyone used this camshaft and do you know the bolt size?

Thanks

Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys

Just finished installing my new summit cam(5200) and realize that my old cam bolt does not fit.

Thanks

Alex
Hi guys

so here is my update... Called summit and they told me that the bolt is 3/8 - 16. 

I bought the new bolt but it still does not fit into the camshaft. It's too big

I used small camera to check the the threads and realized that  they did not tap the cam  :huh: 

So instead of sending it back i just taped it with 3/8 16 and was able to tighten the timing gear bolt to 40  ft-lbs

Alex

Hey guys

Thanks

Alex
Hi guys

so here is my update... Called summit and they told me that the bolt is 3/8 - 16. 

I bought the new bolt but it still does not fit into the camshaft. It's too big

I used small camera to check the the threads and realized that  they did not tap the cam  :huh: 

So instead of sending it back i just taped it with 3/8 16 and was able to tighten the timing gear bolt to 40  ft-lbs

Alex
Well, you don't see that every day :) 

Did you let Summit know they may have a bad batch of cams? Maybe they would give you a discount on a future purchase for your trouble.

Summit is very aware of parts that are "questionable" being sold !! Look around on forums for SBF and "timing gears".

Seems many parts are filtering in that BUYERS figure out machining issues, incorrect specs for clearances and MISS MARKED application. PEOPLE are fixing these problems by remachining junk parts, retapping (above) etc etc. Sellers (and I have nothing against Summit) have to refund and are happy to because importers make so much they credit back and say "keep the part".

Mark

P.S. There will be a time that cars are separated in value for use of original parts, repro parts and "universal fit parts!"

Back