suspension upgrade help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharpstang72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
351C 2v, 4bbl,FMX, 9" Rear 3.50 gears
Hey guys,

I'm putting in new suspension (kit from laurel mtn.mustang), if I change the strut rod bushings, do I need to make sure the bolts are tightened the same length where the bushings are now ? Big washers on the lower control Which needs to be marked before removing (casters?) were marked before I took out the lower control arm, do I still need an alignmeent? It's kinda hard to match marks on both sides as you tighten the lower control arm bolt, any suggestions? Any short cuts, or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

You will still need to have it aligned. By reinstalling everything close to where it was previously, it will probably drive okay to get it to the shop. As usual, a short test drive should be done to ensure nothing is scrubbing, rubbing, or just plain hinky before heading down the road.

I've used combinations of string, level and tape measure to do a rough alignment in the past. Eyeball it, test drive a bit and keep adjusting until it feels somewhat okay. Be careful when setting the LCA camber. I usually lift it up, adjust, drop it down and check for vertical with a level to get initial setting. Some folks have used double layers of cardboard under the tires.

And make sure whoever is going to do the alignment understands suspensions from the 60's. I had an inexperienced kid one time strip out my camber bolts within seconds of placing it on the rack. What really irked me was I had discussed having someone experienced do the alignment with the manager as I drove in and then he and assigned it a rookie who wasn't even born when the car was new. Of course the shop maintained the bolts were stripped before they touched it....I've never gone back to that shop ever since.

Back