Sway bar fit?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7stang3

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang base coupe, 302, ps.c4,a/c,p/b
Have almost finished front suspension installation, but the front sway bar does not look right. The bolt, when viewed from the side is at 11:00.

swaybar 002.JPG

The bushing on the bottom of the bolt is only making contact on a little more than 1/2 of the surface. We have not fully tightened the bolt yet, but straight is not possible at this point.

swaybar 001.JPG

Should the bolt be vertical?

Don't worry about that at this point. Your sway bar end links won't have complete contact with the control arm until the tires are on and suspension is on the ground and compressed. Another words once you set it down on the ground with the tires on your bushings should have full contact with the control arm. Don't over tighten the end link nut either. Typically with rubber bushings you would tighten the nut until the bushings compress to be even with the washers. The new ploy bushings don't compress that much. As long as it's all snug. Check it once you drive it a little.

On my car, with the car on the ground the link points straight up.

Lift it up as though it were on the ground and see if it straightens out. If so it looks like it's OK to me.

Greg

Thank you! Will not panic until I have it on the ground. If things look goofy then, we can revisit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that the Grab A Track? The shape on mine isn't quite right. I thought it was because I have a ton of caster and the car is low.
Sorry, have been away. Yes, the pictures of mine are Grab A Track.

Just ripped my drivers side off with about the same angle. Wheels off on jack stands.
I hope this is just a figure of speech ;). Thanks for the response. We are finishing brakes, will patch some rust, install fuel tank and lines and then we can put tires on and drop to ground for a good wash and undercoating. We will see at that time how this looks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back