Tail light gaskets

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
2000 F250-SD
2001 H-D FLTR
2004 GMC Denali
Need some help with tail light gaskets. My glass/upholstery guy has been water testing my car in an effort to eliminate water intrusion.

We are still getting water into the trunk and he says it is coming through the tail light assemblies.

I've purchased both new gaskets and tail light assemblies from OMS.

My glass/upholstery guy mentioned that the gaskets from OMS are not as thick or as pliable as the gaskets that were in the car.

Can anyone suggest a manufacturer of a good tail light gasket to use?

Not knocking OMS in any way. Not 100% sure if the gasket is the issue. Just seeking other gasket alternatives, and advice.

I will also need advice on correctly painting the silver tail light assemblies.

Thanks

Hello klinton994,

The only other alternative would be to purchase some NOS tail light gaskets.

As for the silver part of the tail lights, check out my thread on the vinyl roof trim that I had ceramic coated with a satin color. It is looking good and the coating should out last the mustang.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-vinyl-top-trim-restoration

I have several sets of the NOS gaskets and I have a set of the new tail light pods. I wil need to compare the NOS and the new to see if there are indeed some differences.

What kind of shape is your tail light panel in?

mustang7173

the repop gaskets are pretty thick.

is the gasket pushed out around the tail light panel flange. sometimes it gets pinched during install.

the gaskets should be glued to the tail light assembly so they do not shift during install.

there is a tremendous amount of adjustment on the 4 tail light studs, also the nut on the studs should have a gasket of sealant so it seals the 4 posts.

the gasket is compressed as the nuts are tightened on the 4 studs.

really to know somebody needs to sit in the trunk with a flashlight as you spray the rear of the car and watch for the water to start to drip in.

I have owned one of these since new and they leaked when new around the tail lights and rear side windows. You need to be sure you have the inside of the tail light panel coated with paint so it does not start to rust again. If you really want it not to leak you are going to have to put some kind of sealer on both sides of the gasket. I would use RTV so you can get it back off if needed. I have a couple sets of NOS gaskets and they are not that great either. I am not sure if Dennis Carpenter makes them or not but his other weather strips and seals are the best I have seen. He actually purchased equipment like OEM used. I have a California 73 Vert and the only rust on the car anywhere is around the gasket for the tail lights. It is original factory paint also. They say the foam is closed cell but it still holds water in there and it rusts. Pic att. RTV is about all I know that will hold up.

You were talking about painting the housings. I assume you purchased new ones that come as the 73 model without the black out paint. There are how to videos on youtube on how to take them apart and refinish them if they are old. A car with the plastic panel in the back had the same type black paint used for the hood black out applied on the inside edge of the opening for the light and also around the gas filler. One of the members posted a Ford document showing where it was applied. I have attached a couple pics of an original car with the black showing in the area between light and trim.

I am a firm believer in never putting a water hose to our cars unless you somehow got caught in a mud storm. Every time you hose it down you feed the rust in all the cracks and crevices. It goes inside the doors and around the quarter windows no matter how new the felts are it will get in. You get the inside of the cowl wet and it just loves to rust. A good bucket of clean water and micro fiber towel to take the dust off is much better for the car. I think the hose is more of a therapy thing for the owner than good for the car especially a pressure washer or car wash.

My thoughts,

David

100_2397.JPG

100_2396.JPG

IMG_20141204_175342_903.jpg

Hi

I had the same problem... Got some aftermarket tail light gaskets, but quickly noticed that they wont work properly.

Luckily I had a second trunk seal. With some adaptations (cut of the bulge), I got a pretty good result. The rubber is very soft and nestles nicely around the tail panel. For better illustration see PICs below.

cheers Wolfgang

IMG_1961.JPG

IMG_1970.JPG

IMG_1971.JPG

IMG_1972.JPG

IMG_2002.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies on gaskets. It ended up, that the rear panel surface, where the tail lights install, is not flat. Most likely from a result from a collision.

With my right tail light sitting in the rear panel, one edge of the tail light would be tight to the panel, and the other nearly a half inch off.

Hi

I had the same problem... Got some aftermarket tail light gaskets, but quickly noticed that they won't work properly.

Luckily I had a second trunk seal. With some adaptations (cut of the bulge), I got a pretty good result. The rubber is very soft and nestles nicely around the tail panel. For better illustration see PICs below.

cheers Wolfgang
Wolfgang,

can you explain what you mean by cut off the bulge?

jim

Hi

I had the same problem... Got some aftermarket tail light gaskets, but quickly noticed that they won't work properly.

cheers Wolfgang
Wolfgang,

can you explain what you mean by cut off the bulge?

jim
Sorry typing error, meant the bugle or nose which I cut off - see second picture.

Remember no matter if the gasket seals or not the water will sit in between the gasket, tail light and the rear panel. If there is a scratch or a place for the rust to start it will rust. The design with the gasket inside sucks but I guess they thought it looked better. With a gasket on the outside the water would shed off and dry out with it inside is just sits there until it evaporates or rusts and runs out.

David

Latest posts

Back