Test run with mounted transmission

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

machmeter1

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1 - sold
Hi

Recently I tripped over an article which met my interest. A guy wanted to conduct an engine test run with mounted automatic transmission.

One guy suggested him to do this just with transmission in neutral position, another suggested in park position.

As I was advised to conduct the test run with mounted transmission in order to get more stability and balance on the crank, I am now a bit confused. Current situation is as follows:

FMX Transimission rebuilt and filled, converter filled with approx. 3/4 liter trans oil. Engine new rebuilt and ready for test run.

My idea was to do the test run with mounted transmission in Park position. Do I have to worry about problems doing it in this way or should I better back away from a test run with transmission?

For better illustration see attached picture showing the engine stand.

Thank you in advance

Wolfgang DSC00158.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done this a few times and always done it in park. I've never thought to put in neutral. My guess is it wouldn't make a difference.

Hi Don

Thank you for now.

That are good news, I would prefer to do the test run with trans. My engine stand was constructed to carry engine and trans. I dont want to change the construction.

Did you connect the oilcooler or just bypassed the transmission cooling system?

I thought to connect the oil cooler and lines correctly and fill up the trans with the specified filling quantity of ATF. So I could make sure that enough liquid is in it.

Wolfgang

My low cost solution is to put the loose ends of the trans cooler lines in a jar of some sort to circulate the fluid. I only ran the engine for a few minutes.

My low cost solution is to put the loose ends of the trans cooler lines in a jar of some sort to circulate the fluid. I only ran the engine for a few minutes.
I have to run in the cam for at least 20 min...does this change something?

I ran mine the same way with the tranny lines looped together with rubber hose. Topped off the tranny and it was fine. But like don said i only ran mine about 15 minutes like this. but it was good to go. Also ran mine in park .

Why don't you wait until it is in the car to break it in? Seems safer.
Hi Thanks to all for contribution

The thing is that, engine and transmission are rebuilt - of course I think I did everthing right but I want to keep it out of the car, just in case that something doesnt work:s. Would make the repair or exchange of parts much easier.

I also put safety in consideration. If transmission wouldnt be in park the spinning output shaft could easily become an uncontrolled projectile.

According to FMX trans overhaul literature you should, in order to get all channels flooded after refilling, shift through all gears. But cause of above mentioned reason that will not be possible.

So I asked to be sure that running a newly rebuilt and filled FMX just in park position will not cause damages.

Wolfgang

Last edited by a moderator:
No damage as long as you are circulating fluid. Me, I'd use my radiator connections for circulation since you're needing it to keep the engine cool anyway. Just be sure it is secured so as not to hit the engine fan

Thanks a lot guys

In around one week I ll give you an update regarding engine test run progress with pictures as well. Need to complete my engine stand (wiring, tachometer and oil pressure gauge).

So far everything seems to be clear but I dont want to ban that I might come up with questions again.

best regards

Wolfgang

Hi guys

So whats new? I worked hard in my off days and modified my engine stand. Due to I had to much doubts regarding the mounted transmission, I removed the converter. FMX is still on but just for stabilisation.

I upgraded the engine stand with a oil pressure gauge, ignition and starter button and a kill switch as well. So all components where compounded - I was very excited but... the new rebuilt starter didn t work! F... So starter to the starter service, but I had to go back to work. So far no testrun. Anyway next holiday is coming soon, meanwhile I ordered a tachometer - was missing on the improvised dashboard.

Please find attached updated pictures

IMG_0954.JPG

IMG_0943.JPG

IMG_0942.JPG

Back