The case for driving a 71-73 mustang

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don65Stang

Reaction score
My Car
Several.
So reading the "Any 71-73 Daily Drivers", "Why I like driving my mustang everyday" and responding to Lux's "I'm not happy" threads I thought my reply makes a good case for owning/driving a 71-73 mustang.

I know that it's better do it right but this will probably become a money pit and I can't use that right now.
It is Still cheaper and better looking than a new car, no? Especially since yours is mostly a daily driver.

Heck, you could buy another 71-73 in very fine condition for $17-20k US and still be cheaper than buying a new car...plus the 71-73 will hold value as long as it is maintained. In my mind driving an old car is a much better deal financially because you can drive the cool, old mustang as much as you want and when it's time to sell, you can sell for what you have in it.
Wow, I think I just decided to sell my Honda. Lol

What do you guys think?

I dont think you would get the miles out of an old motor that you would out of a modern one. That being said, a rebuild on an old v8 is relatively cheap and easy (in my eyes) compared to working on modern cars with computers!

As far as miles out of the older engines no they will not do a 250,000 to 300,000 mile run without a rebuild. I did run a Ford 240 6 cylinder in a 1969 Econoline van for 467,000 miles. The local Ford dealer was going to send pics to Ford when I hit 1/2 million but I crashed it. I did two rebuilds on the motor and a rebuild to me is new everything but block, heads, crank and covers. It broke down once when a phenolic timing gear broke but fixed it and went on. The last year I drove it we took to Montana from N.C. hunting and drove non stop out and non stop back without any issue.

I think it is great when someone drives their old car. A local here has a 65 mustang he bought new that has over 1,000,000 miles but several rebuilds and the last was on rotisserie and it looks new.

David

I think a pushrod v8 could reasonably go 125,000 miles and maybe 150,000 given regular oil, oil filter and coolant changes.

The key to driving it forever is fluid changes and regular maintenance by replacing items as they wear out.

I think the only issue I would have driving mine as a daily driver is after all that time, effort, money, blood, sweat, and tears (nope... actually, no tears) invested, I'd probably come unglued after the first door ding or first passenger that damages something because we all know that nobody besides us really has any kind of deep-seated 'care' for our cars... at least not to the level we do, anyway. It's not "just a car," folks - even my lowly Honda Civic hatchback was "my baby" while I had it. I love cars, and especially after I bring one back from the dead, I get great enjoyment driving and caring for them... as well as great pleasure in having a cool car that other people seem to envy even just a little bit.

I know it drives me nuts when my boss (who is now basically blind and depends on me for rides to lunch and errands pretty much everyday) slams the door in my truck, pulls the seat belt absolutely ALL the way out and/or closes it in the door, tosses his cane into the truck, can't seem to remember how to cover his face when he sneezes, etc. It also drives me nuts when someone else hops out and just tosses the seat belt aside, expecting the retractor to suck it up, but usually not before it clanks on the window and takes a chunk out of the window tint.

I've already told him the first snot-rocket I find anywhere in the car will be his last ride in the Mustang. I thinks he thinks I'm kidding... No Sir - not kidding. Not by a long shot.

Yeah, door dings. Other people suck sometimes.

Still cheaper to buy a nice one, drive it, fix stuff as needed then sell for roughly the same amount you have in it. I don't see them going down in value.

Once the 73 vert is fixed I plan to drive it daily, even on rainy days...unless it's one of our monsoon type rain days then the Excursion makes the commute.

I think I tend to agree. Granted, mine was an extreme case ;) , but picking up a running '71-'73 that just needs minor restoration and maybe a paint job would be vastly cheaper than a new Mustang, for sure. But "minor restoration," I mean new soft parts (bushings, seals, interior stuff, etc.). Even warming up the engine, swapping in an overdrive tranny, and rear gears on top of all that could still come out cheaper than a comparable-equipped/-performance model modern Mustang.

Taking a '71 Grande`up to the performance level of a '13 Boss 302 (skid pad numbers aside) could easily be done for $20K less than buying the Boss outright.

With all due respect, i have my own take on this.

FACT. These 123 Mustangs are around 40 years old. They were never designed to last 40 years. If you want to keep these cars in good looking, good running, roadworthy condition, then one way or another, you have to SPEND MONEY to make that happen.

FACT. Spending money.

To keep them running in good condition, you'll be spending money on parts and labor costs. Here's where there's a big difference as to where you live on the planet. If you live in America, that will be most of the battle, as parts and labor are still reasonably priced to the American public. Gas is still fairly cheap compared to the rest of the world too. Purchasing values for these cars are still realistic in America too. However, if you live in a foreign country, buying, importing, owning, running, restoring and maintaining these cars is quite expensive compared to America. Buying and importing these cars is expensive. Buying and importing parts is expensive. Paying for labor done on your car is expensive. ( i have all the paperwork to prove this) So to own, maintain in good condition, and drive one of these 40 year old cars in America is one thing, but is another thing money wise in another country. It's a whole lot more, and you'll need deep pockets to do it.

FACT. Money value.

In most cases you'll be blowing your money owning these cars, especially if you live in an overseas country. It is true that as collectables, these 123 Mustangs are slowly appreciating in value around the world as time moves on. However, if you add up exactly what you have spent on your car to keep it in top condition since you've owned it, you'll find in most cases owners have spent more money on them than what the car is worth selling on the present day open market. Saving on labor costs by doing your own repairs, modifications and upgrades, can make a big difference in saving your money, but don't forget, it's your valuable time you're giving up for the love of it all. I hope you are doing it for the love of it all. Remember, you can never compare a 40year old car with a new one, no matter how much money you spend on it to bring it up to scratch.

FACT. Conclusion. You own these 123 Mustangs because you love them, and you want the pleasure in owning and driving them around. Like most hobbies and things in life that bring genuine pleasure, they cost serious dollars. Owning these cars is no exception. So as the saying goes, what value do you put on things in your life that brings you genuine happiness and pleasure. You put a lot of value on them. And that my friends, is your money well spent, even if you don't get it back later on.

Greg.:)

Yep, these are money pits. You know when you start a small project and and up spending crazy money. Doesn't help that there is ALWAYS something to be done to these cars whether you are fixing something or just upgrading parts.

"Normal" people don't realize how much these cars mean to us.. I can't even express how much I love my car. Driving these cars feels so different than modern cars. No matter how much time and money this car will take, I will keep it running and looking good for as long as I live, it holds a special place in my heart.

Cant wait to meet some of you guys, I NEED to see some of these cars in person. And of course meet some of you guys that seem to have unlimited knowledge about these cars

Yep, these are money pits. You know when you start a small project and and up spending crazy money. Doesn't help that there is ALWAYS something to be done to these cars whether you are fixing something or just upgrading parts.

"Normal" people don't realize how much these cars mean to us.. I can't even express how much I love my car. Driving these cars feels so different than modern cars. No matter how much time and money this car will take, I will keep it running and looking good for as long as I live, it holds a special place in my heart.

Cant wait to meet some of you guys, I NEED to see some of these cars in person. And of course meet some of you guys that seem to have unlimited knowledge about these cars
Hi Elizabeth,

Any plans of coming to Australia?:p:p

Greg.:)

Hi Elizabeth. Pretty much a year ago, some of us were in Charlotte with our cars. Unfortunately we did not take the extra step to do any kind of formal get together. Too much to see and too little time not to mention a bit of rain.

And I had my Challenge coin ready to go!

BTW: well stated Greg.

I have a slightly different take on this. First off, I'm a driver... The way I tackled this is to look at these as a safe investment. It's almost like putting my money in the bank (no real return, but very safe). Then I get to play with and drive my money as often as I like. I know many of you stated how much they cost to own. Maybe I've been lucky but I'm not upside down in any of my cars. As Greg mentioned the parts in America are relatively inexpensive and if you do most of the work yourself it's even fun. To me it's just a great hobby that is so rewarding on so many levels. Not to mention it introduced me to this site! :D:cool::D

I think a pushrod v8 could reasonably go 125,000 miles and maybe 150,000 given regular oil, oil filter and coolant changes.

The key to driving it forever is fluid changes and regular maintenance by replacing items as they wear out.

Only how many? Don't tell this guy! :)

BTW I'm not sure if he has ever had the motor rebuilt... :cool:

I know it has been posted before but thought it cool to post here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2Fe1VVJJLY

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1036196_1971-mustang-owner-has-619000-miles-on-the-clock

Ray

My Mach 1 has 113,000 original miles without a rebuild. She still is running well, has good oil pressure and hopefully has a lot of life left in her.

I know a guy with a 72 Ranchero with a 302 that went 470,000 miles without a rebuild. When the motor blew up it took out the block with it. He had to put in another motor.

Only how many? Don't tell this guy! :)

BTW I'm not sure if he has ever had the motor rebuilt... :cool:

I know it has been posted before but thought it cool to post here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2Fe1VVJJLY

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1036196_1971-mustang-owner-has-619000-miles-on-the-clock

Ray

Yes, I am not surprised -- I had close to 300,000 miles when I rebuilt the 302 in mine.

My stang is in the shop right now getting a total engine rebuild.

She has 147,000 miles on the original engine and once we started to pull it apart, it was like changing the washer in the bathroom faucet.

Once you start and get deeper into it, you might as well go all the way.

Back