the curse of the blown transmissions strikes again

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6/29/2015.

* put some torque on the cylinder heads to see if it stops up the weep leak i seem to have on the backside of both heads.

valve covers on and off and re-torqued as well.

---------

waiting on parts order i put the rear end back together.

I wish you the best of luck on your test drive with the new tranny. Mine was an awful experience but after finding the issue its 90% better. I still need to do some adjustments, I think the vacuum modulator may be bad but the car is drivable.

It seems that you make decent progress on a day to day basis.

everyday i find something else that broke that i replaced 3 times already, arugh....

waiting on the parking brake assembly and backing plate seals so i can finish up the rear brakes and then the rear axle , put the drive line back together.

7/1/2015

* pulled Passenger side drum brakes.

* pulled backing plate

* put backing plate in media blaster

* welded backing plate

* cleaned it up

* back in the media blaster

* painted it with high temp black

* installed Drivers side backing plate, new backing plate seal installed, wheel cylinder

* torqued to spec on everything.

** cannot install drivers drum brakes yet due to back ordered part

* installed passenger side backing plate, new backing plate seal, installed wheel cylinder

* torqued to spec on everything.

* started to install new parking brake assembly

Please see my review here:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-concourse-parking-brake-review

* finished parking brake pedal to under car , and passenger side cable

* installed passenger side drum brake assembly.

* axle is now buttoned up

** need to fill with rear end fluid

***Garage REEKS! of rear end fluid.

* Replaced Yoke on drive shaft with better one. How i hate the Universal Joints and Zerks, i fought everything for over an hour.

* yoke and drive shaft installed in transmission have not hooked it up to the 3rd member yet.

called it a day

7/2/2015

* 3rd member filled with gear oil, sealed.

* Driveshaft installed

* transmission pre-filled with 6 quarts. 5 in the pan 1 in the converter.

Waiting on brake parts to wrap this party up.

7/3/2015 car is done and test drove.

* parts came in 5 days early (THANK THE LORD)

* completed parking brake cable install

* drivers and passenger drums assembled.

* Brake system flushed from Dot 5 to Dot 3 synthetic.

* exhaust installed.

* tires installed

* car on ground, then lifted rear tires.

* engine start, fill trans.

* tested trans on jack stands, went into reverse, drive, 1 and 2, refilled fluid.

* no leaks as of yet

* dropped car to ground

* torqued lugs

* tested in driveway, car went into reverse and drive, 1 and 2, and neutral.

* completed air cleaner and brace assembly.

* test drive for 10 minutes. Stomped on it a few times. Trans Shifting very early under 20mph could just feel 1st and 2nd and 3rd shift as a light hesitation. stomped on it a couple of times, drove to around 40-45mph came home. it is suppose to rain.

** need to adjust vacuum modulator for later shifts and do a longer field test.

noticed a steering wheel vibration also, have to see if it is the sway bar i messed with.

Test drive 2

Moved the modulator 4 turns clockwise , still no where near enough.

Parked again waiting for everything to cool down for another inspection and modulator change

Test drive 3

the new transmission behaves differently then the old one so i had to do some checks and changes.

Double checked my timing.

Checked Idle RPM and vacuum under load.

moved modulator clockwise again.

Changed pump shot from .35 to .37

took it out.

Holy cow. doing 1/4 throttle burn outs.

trans shifting at 1-2 20mph and 2-3 30 mph like i want.

again doing burn out very easy now.

the new torque convertor is a WAY better match for my engine then the POS the trans place gave me years ago.

basically i'm doing burn outs with my A/C on and my 3.00:1 gear set.

car has much more power.

So far no slipping and gear shifts are fine.

crossing fingers i fixed it.

i still have more adjustments. i had it out all day driving around.

keeping an eye on things for a while.

7/06/2015

* softened the modulator slightly

* rotated drive shaft 180 in the yoke to reduce a vibration issue.

* found one trans cool line is leaking slightly, need to figure out how to get to it.

7/7/2015 Down Again.

So i had an issue when i installed the transmission with one of the cooler lines. I didn't like the way it fit in the tunnel but i comprised and felt it would be ok. Well it wasn't ok. After 3 days i noticed a leak at the fitting on the transmission for that cooler line.

I pulled it down having to take the trans cross member out again and the cross member on the floor boards had chewed through part of the line, the line had bent going into the transmission as was not sealing anymore.

So i had to pull out the cooler line again. after looking at it the problem is the bend is not short enough at the connector and there is not enough clearance between the trans and the tunnel to have this tubing fit.

after messing with it for 2 hours i came to conclusion i need to remake the entire cooling line from the back of the trans to the radiator to make this work.

So i had to order a tubing bender and some 5/16 steel tubing to see if i can create my own tube that fits the space i have.

i tried knocking the floor and cross member back in the tunnel with brute force and it just won't work cutting the cross member it is not a much better solution, things were tight with the old cooler lines as well, but this is much tighter due to how the fittings sit on the transmission.

So my car will be down again until the tools and materials arrive for me to start fabrication. I have a Flair tool and a cutter already.

Yes, i have one, but i wanted to use the mustang C-6 cooler lines.

depending on how things pan out the next few days i might go back to that 90 fitting.

Well I was re-reading your updates as I have had no time to check out the forum and I was excited to see that you had the car running good after minor adjustments. Sorry to hear about your transmission line. I hope you get it all fixed and over with soon so you can enjoy your pony.

My car is shifting a little weird also. Adjusted the modulator and it made it a bit better but still have more changes to make. Transmissions are a pain!

i tried to find a guideline for the 1-2,2-3 shift points but never found anything.

driving lightly i'm shifting 1-2 around 30mph and 2-3 around 40. if i put some power on it i get a 20 mph 1-2 and a 30mph 2-3 shift.

before i was shifting at like 5mph and 10mph

I noticed if the modulator was too clockwise the trans would not downshift fast enough, so if i came to a slow down before a right or left turn i felt like the trans was in 2nd or 3rd gear and there was no power for a split second then it would down shift to 1st.

when i backed off 1 turn it got better. i must of added about 5 turns to the modulator clockwise to raise the shift points to where they are now.

basically counterclockwise shortens the shift points and softens the shifts.

Clockwise lengthens the shift points and makes the gear changes much stronger.

Contrary to what other internet forums say you can get a HUGE amount of adjustment with just the modulator on the C-6 without messing around with a recalibration to the speed governor.

In all this i learned the Torque convertor has a much bigger role then people think.

Before my torque convertor was much lower stall speed, so it would really slam into Gear going from Park. the engine was getting pulled down a bit as well. with the higher stall the engine is getting less load down at idle, and the higher launch rpms is showing what the engine can do even with a tall rear gear set.

hopefully with some practice i will be able to fabricate the line the way i want it and have good clearance in the tunnel.

i plan to make some test bends and test flairs to see if i can make a tight radius bend to the rear cooler line in the tunnel.

I have some options, i still have a stainless tube cooler set and the 90 fitting but i'm trying to get what i want in it.

My '73 had a factory 90 degree fitting in the rear with a straight shot line.

IMG_0723_zps64274090.jpg

yup that is the fitting i have. they make the reproduction C6 cooler lines with 2x 90 degree bends front and back.

The 71-early 72 cars seem to have the straight fitting on the trans front and back.

The late 72-73 cars seems to have the 90 on the rear cooler line and the straight on the front.

Latest posts

Back