The most egregious "errors" you've seen on a 71-73?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how about the black strip on bottom of mach1's? I noticed its not suppose to be painted into the door jam to carpet trim piece and on the bottom inside of the doors. But a lot of people paint the inside bottoms of the doors black and continue the black stripe into the rocker up to the carpet. I know it was a pain in the ass masking that all off when we painted the bottom black.
This was different on the 71 & 72s. On the 72s the black coverage grew much larger in that area than on the 71s.

I can go on and on, but its all personal taste.

How you want your car to look, or what parts you could afford to buy, or what was avilable at the time the persom was working on the car.

but now,

1.)the backwards rear fin (you have the right part, just put it on the right way)

2.)chrome aftermarket air cleaners, but nothing else matches it in the engine compartment.
I am guilty of the chrome air filter:)

There are items that our cars didn't come with so unless you are doing a concourse restoration if you like a mod put it on. You will be the one driving it so what makes you happy.

-jbojo

I think if people want to customize or personalize there cars that's great and it's nice to add features that these cars didn't have when new, what I don't like is when people customize or change the car and put incorrect paint or stripes and try and sell it as the real thing. Like my car it's a standard sportsroof that I cloned into a boss, is it 100% correct no it doesn't have the lower body blackout, no twist locks and it still has the honeycomb rear panel. Chrome hood and fender mouldings, rocker and wheel well moulding and it's only a 351 2v with and automatic. But I don't try and fake what it is I always says it's a clone or a fake I never tell people yeah it's a real boss.

I strongly agree with those who state or infer that there are no "errors" if one builds and/or modify THEIR Mustang to THEIR choice.

That having been said, I am a "Modifyer" but have absolutely NOTHING against anyone who chose to make THEIR car the way "it came from the "factory."

In the end, it is YOUR Mustang.

...my $.02:).

BT

I think if people want to customize or personalize there cars that's great and it's nice to add features that these cars didn't have when new, what I don't like is when people customize or change the car and put incorrect paint or stripes and try and sell it as the real thing. Like my car it's a standard sportsroof that I cloned into a boss, is it 100% correct no it doesn't have the lower body blackout, no twist locks and it still has the honeycomb rear panel. Chrome hood and fender mouldings, rocker and wheel well moulding and it's only a 351 2v with and automatic. But I don't try and fake what it is I always says it's a clone or a fake I never tell people yeah it's a real boss.
I totally agree.

-jbojo

OK,

My car is guilty of some of this stuff. Some I knew about and some I did not know about until I started reading and learning. My car was restored around 2004 or so. It had the stripes added at that time which I like, but it does still have the chrome strip which I don't like as much. However, I won't bother to change that. I also have a front spoiler but it looks to good to remove for correctness.

The little things like the black trim paint on the honeycomb rear panel I can and will fix. Already did the research and have the correct paint on the way. I am striving for a concours driven classification for my car. I realize I might lose a few points for some of those incorrect things but I can live with that.

I feel lucky to have my car and am very proud of it. I know everyone here is really into these cars. You can tell from their post to this topic that some might feel their cars are being judged or picked on. We all have our different opinions and what one might think is cool another thinks it looks stupid. I can say this with all honesty, EVERYTIME I see a 71-73 on the road or in a driveway I break my neck looking at it!

So work on your car and fix it anyway you want. Our cars with any luck will out live us. I think of myself as the guy that takes care of my Mustang because I know one day I will be gone and someone else will feed the horse!

Mike,

I certainly would not classify the small differences on your car as "egregious" mistakes. Your car is probably the nicest overall 429 Mach 1 have ever seen in the last 25 years!

The items you mentioned are small and easily changed.

You know, I would love to have a beautiful Pewter 429 Mach 1, and I think you would love to have a red one.

Mine only has a couple more miles than yours...let's trade!

Mike,

I certainly would not classify the small differences on your car as "egregious" mistakes. Your car is probably the nicest overall 429 Mach 1 have ever seen in the last 25 years!

The items you mentioned are small and easily changed.

You know, I would love to have a beautiful Pewter 429 Mach 1, and I think you would love to have a red one.

Mine only has a couple more miles than yours...let's trade!
Thank you Kit. Let me think about that trade...ok I thought about it and I will stay with light pewter metallic. :D

Just to clarify... This thread is titled: The most egregious "errors" you've seen on a 71-73?

The keyword to me is "errors" which is different from customization or intentional mods to the cars. I totally agree that the owners can do whatever they want to their cars. My personal preference is original looking cars with period correct modifications or tasteful modern mods. I'm not opposed to a coyote engine transplant even as long as the car doesn't look botched up.

My TuTone hood example above comes into play when the owner unknowingly uses a bad template for the black or argent paint. That drives me nuts! However I'm ok with other TuTone hood color treatments as long as the template is correct. Lol

you see a ton of "RestoMods" out there, very nicly done.

you can take a 60's-70's car, add modern suspention components, modern audio system, update the engine, and you have a really nice safe car to drive and enjoy, and its still a classic either way you look at it.

now you can take that same car, hack parts into it just to make it compleat, nothing matches, or parts put on the wrong way, now thats an other story, those errors should be pointed out (just my 2 cents)

as everyone pointed out eirlier "its your car make it how you like it".

Don't look at my car too close . :angel: I did get mine the way it looks ,with the exception of the front spoiler (got to have that).The P.O. did the best he could getting a hod-podge of donor mustang parts to save it , the original block was missing . It's guilty of wearing 71 paint ,magnum 500"s ,a standard grille , and many other imperfections .Probably the only thing original is the shell ,front bumper and rear axle . A few of these incorrect parts annoy me and will be changed , I spent my 1 1/2 yrs of ownership making it handle good . I personally enjoy a car that's not too nice to burn the tires and actually use . Will it ever be concourse .... no . Do I care.....no. Is my spoiler on backwards.....no . Does that 460 make me grin and do a ridiculous burnout ....... hell yeah ! ::devil::

Egregious error? FORD fitting over-riders on 73 rear bumpers!

I can get used to the deeper front bumper, but please I implore all who have over-riders, take them off! :D

When it comes to ram-air, spoilers, etc, it seems to me a factory option one year compared to an owner installation on another year/engine is no difference at all. After all, one of the points of the Mustang was to be able to personalise it with options.

If you are referring to the "bumperettes" on the rear bumper, I agree...they detract from the clean looks.

But they were mandatory in '73 the help Ford pass the new-for-'73 5mph front and 2.5 mph rear bumper performance standards.

And another point: I believe that the popular argent-colored plastic front spoilers were never an OEM item from Ford.

I bought many front spoilers from Ford parts counters during the 70s and 80s and do not ever remember seeing an argent one listed.

I also clearly remember seeing several BOSS 351s around the time they were new and they all had black front spoilers, even the ones with lower tutone in argent paint.

My opinion is that the aftermarket repro companies came up with the argent version as an obvious neccesary part that was never offered originally.

I think they look great and would definitely have one if my car had tutone argent paint. I just don't think they were original.

Last edited:
As a purist I do tend to like the baddest factory equipped cars, followed by extremely original cars. But most have gotten pretty much out of reach price-wise. Some changes I personally don't care - sure.

Plenty have heard my opinions on non-stock steering wheels. But currently, my Boss is running a leather wrapped racing wheel. Shhhh. Don't tell anyone!! It will be coming off soon. :D

But I have enjoyed that wheel on the car. :cool:

So if your car makes you happy changing this or that - cool! I have seen many mods, one example: 429/460 motor swaps, that have resulted in many smiles/mile. I'm sure I would enjoy driving or owning many of the modded cars on here.

I used to look at race cars for sale. Many friends have owned or still own them. But - race cars as we all know are modified by nature. And the quality/craftsmanship of the mods are always areas of concern until proven otherwise. They are also known to be driven very hard - which tends to wear out everything. The value of a used race car short of some serious famous pedigree is really low. About equivalent to parts car or scrap.

All changes to original can cause potential buyers to wonder; why was it changed and how well was it changed? As simple as a street car's rust repair and/or repaint. I'd want to know why. If it is still original as Ford built it I know what I am dealing with. If not = potential concerns. Again, once is it determined the mods/repairs have been done in a manner pleasing to the potential buyer, all good.

Back in the mid 70's almost everyone was replacing their rear shock with Gabriel HiJackers air shocks, just to gain extra clearance for the N50x15's mounted on 15x10 Crager - or similar mags. Today although looking very Retro - it would be generally frowned upon. Oh yeah I forgot about CB antennas and sidepipes!!! Oh the humanity! rofl

Hey a new class for MCA ---- Retro Concourse? :rolleyes:

So to the owners of the most modded vehicle on here to the most completely original, I appreciate everyone on here and your willingness to share your experiences with your 71-3 Mustangs!

Oh I almost forgot - NOW I don't like air shocks! :D

They are definitely cool cars. Enjoy them the way you like. I know I will. :runninpony:

Ray

I'm a modifier...and love that there's not a car on the road like mine nor will there ever be! :D

And love that all I hear is wow! Love it! And people wanting their pics with it!

I totally respect the purists and their cars...as well as the modifiers! We have one of the best possible cars out there to work with. One man's error is another man's modification!

:run_horse::run_horse::run_horse::run_horse::run_horse::

That 70's look - I have in stock some 6x14 front & 12x15 rear slot mags shod in Pos-a-Tractions (N50 at back) with very little wear on - occasionally I think about jacking the car up & putting these on just to attend a couple of shows in the summer. Of course I will need a wig, flares & stick on sideburns to match :D I also have some N50 Pro-Tracs on what look like 11x15 Cragars, I bought them for £10 (off a guy I bought a C6 from) but I'm not sure why. I checked the backspace the other day, they are about 3.5" so they are going to stick out a lot I guess?!

No one has mentioned the Mach 1 convertible as an egregious error?

Almost everything on mine. :)
That looks great. How far did you drop that? I'm re-doing a 73 and love how they look dropped. Would you be willing to give up the tire size and drop?

Back