The Rickster - a 73 Mach 1 work in progress

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, Rio and Tim.  It's been quite a journey.  The paint shop said they can get it around the middle of March, and I'm nowhere near ready, so I have to stay focused.

Rio, I have an Eastwood 135 MIG welder that I received as a Fathers Day gift about 10 yrs ago.  I am using 023 wire.   I will switch to .030 or .035 if I am welding something more than 14 gauge sheet metal or 1/8" angle, but that is not very often.   

With all this practice the Bronco will go fast.
That rust in the doors can be a sore spot when painting any vehicle. They did not do a great job of sealing at the factory for sure and simple washing the car with running water feeds the rust in the hem.
My friend that restores cars actually pours come POR inside the door and rocks it around so that it runs into all the hem area. If some runs out he wipes off POR is horrible to sand. You might want to do that when you get it patched up. Also to make sure you do not have some paper thin areas take a sharp pick and go along the bottom hem on the outside and push by hand. I had a paper thin area in trunk I was prepping for the Q vert. I have found that brushing sealer or 3-M undercoating inside the doors works much better than trying to spray. Gets into the tight places better.
You doing great work the body shop will want to hire you.
Now is the time to invest in a rotisserie since you have a line of vehicles to do. You have seen mine and it sure saves time and pain when priming and sanding and would make it easy to get to the body shop also. I love the big tires on mine can move easily even outside. I think it was a bottoms up if I recall. I bought used from my friend that restores cars.
If you do get rotisserie I put a sign where you pull the pin to rotate, DOORS, to remind me to strap the doors closed before I rotate.
Will also speed up your assembly you can to all your suspension, brake lines. fuel tank and lots of things with the car on its side so you do not have to go under it.

It's been a week and a half since my last update.  I've been working diligently, getting this thing ready to go to paint, so haven't taken many pictures, but then again, a lot of what I've been doing isn't very picture worthy.  I did get the seat risers welded in.  I've also been cleaning up the underside of the floor, wishing I had a rotisserie, and getting it ready for some primer and paint, before it heads out for the body, hood, fenders, etc., to be painted.  I think I've almost got the wife on board with me getting rotisserie, but we'll have to wait and see. 

I painted rust converter where the front of the rear springs attach, and Wednesday morning will be spraying the underside and engine bay with epoxy and then single stage Chassis black paint.  Then I can get the spring under the back end, get the axle tube mounted and get the wheels under it. 

So I am making progress, although not very visual, and I promise, more pictures to come.  

Ron, You have to whine more to the wife about your back and neck and getting crap in your eyes. How difficult it it to get up and down and under the car. How slow it is, etc. A rotisserie will put a boost in the build for sure. Keep check on Marketplace and Craigslist might get a buy. I went to one estate sale and there was two there one just assembled and never used and the other still in the box went for half price. I already had one or would have been on that.

Ron, You have to whine more to the wife about your back and neck and getting crap in your eyes. How difficult it it to get up and down and under the car. How slow it is, etc. A rotisserie will put a boost in the build for sure. Keep check on Marketplace and Craigslist might get a buy. I went to one estate sale and there was two there one just assembled and never used and the other still in the box went for half price. I already had one or would have been on that.
I think I almost have her convinced.  I'm pretty sure she would be fine with it, if I find one for a reasonable price.  Yes, she's a keeper.  

Well, the last few days I've been busy working on the car, but not a whole lot to take photos of.  I did get the underside and engine bay cleaned and sprayed with a coat of epoxy primer.  Then I applied seam sealer and followed that with another coat of epoxy primer on the underside and engine bay and aprons.  This morning, I sprayed the underside and engine bay with 2 coats of Eastwood 2K sating Chassis Black.  I tried to take some photos, but all they show is that the engine bay is black.

While waiting on paint to cure, I took the wheels and tires down to the local tire shop and got the tires mounted and balanced.  Now they are ready to go, too.  

Tomorrow, I can get the leaf springs and rear axle bolted back onto the car, finish rebuilding the chunk, and get it installed.  I hope to have the rear wheels on it by this weekend, and then start working on the front suspension.  

It was supposed to be at the paint shop by now, but the shop is running behind, so it's given me some breathing room, but I am really looking forward to getting it to the paint shop, and even moreso, to getting it back from the paint shop.  

Slowly but surely, it's coming together.

I know you were dying to see pictures of the underside and engine bay, so I took some pictures for you.  

20210313_174939.jpg

20210319_173503.jpg

I had gotten the leaf springs painted the same Chassis satin black, and got them installed next.  I also cleaned up painted the axle tube and got it positioned on top of the leaf springs.  I was cleaning up the passenger side shock mounting plate and found that it had been repaired with some welds of unknown quality.  I've got Don at OMS on the case getting a replacement. 

I also got the upper and lower control arms installed and also the strut rods and front sway bar.  I tried to use a coil spring compressor with the moveable arms that sit inside the spring, but I had a terrible time with it.  I finally broke down and bought one that bolts to the shock mount and runs through the top of the shock tower.  It worked like a champ.  

20210319_173520.jpg

20210327_180705.jpg

In the meantime, the seat covers from TMI came in.  I think they will look pretty nice with the dark green body.  And so they go back in the box, to wait for a week or two, until it's time to start working on upholstery.

20210324_180035.jpg

In the meantime, I was cleaning parts in the media blaster and noted that the compressor was sounding lounder than it should.  I removed the shroud and found a loose bolt on the fan.  I tightened it, and restarted the compressor and HOLY COW! was it loud.  I immediately shut it down and started looking some more and found one piston had pretty much disintegrated and destroyed the cylinder.  A went online to see about ordering some parts, only to find that the parts I needed to repair my 25 year old, second hand Sears Craftsman compressor were no longer manufactured and no longer in stock anywhere.  To make a long story short, I now have a new compressor and have been working on getting it plumbed up and running.  

While I was working on cleaning and painting parts, I also cleaned up the old center section.  It was a 2.75 open diff, so I had ordered a trac-loc differential for it and new 3.50 ring and pinion gear set.  I spent 2-3 days putting it together, but got it all set with perfect backlash, and a really nice wear pattern in the yellow paint.  I made a simple tool with some scrap metal to dial in the carrier bearing preload and to make adjusting them easier.  It's not perfect, and it's not pretty, but it litterally only took 10 min to make, and it works great.

20210327_113634.jpg

As I was looking it over one more time, I discovered that the differential was soooo close to the pinion nose bearing, that I couldn't tell if it was rubbing or not.  My 0.005 inch feeler gauge wouldn't pass so I pulled the diff and ring gear out, along with the pinion and ground and rounded off the edge to give the ring gear a little more room.  

I reassembled it, and got it dialed in, again.  I was so glad to have that done, but then the really fun part was to begin.  That was getting the pig under the car, and then laying on my back, getting it on my chest so I could get it into the axle.  Oh, and the gasket sealing compound was smeared all over the axle flange and around the base of the studs.  It was a major pain in the backside, but I got it onto the studs.  I tightened the nuts and then torqued them all down to spec.  I used a 6 in extension and crows foot so I could torque the bottom nuts that you can't get to with a ratchet.  Overall, I a pleased with how it came out (er, ah, went it).  

20210326_173250.jpg

Now, I am on to the rear brakes.  But wait, I am also working up front.  I installed the front brake splash shields, put the new races in the new rotors, packed the new Timken bearings and got the rotors bolted onto the spindles.  I couldn't help it, so grabbed the new front tires and put them on, just to see what it was going to look like.  

20210328_175951.jpg

So there you have it.  Making progress on the Rickster, slowly, but surely.  It's come a long way in the last 9 months, but still has a long way to go.  Hopefully, though, it will be going to the paint shop soon.  

Today, I installed the new steering box and steering linkage.  The steering box was rebuilt by Red Head Steering Gears.  Can you tell?  I still need to tighten up the nut on the pitman arm, and torque everything.  I ordered a 1-5/16 socket from Tekton.com, this afternoon.  They make good stuff and shipping is super fast.  I got shipping confirmation about 30 minutes after I placed my order.  The socket will be here Wednesday, so I can finish the pitman arm tightening then, but I'll have the rest of the steering linkage ready to go by then.  

20210329_155210.jpg

Today, I installed the new steering box and steering linkage.  The steering box was rebuilt by Red Head Steering Gears.  Can you tell?  I still need to tighten up the nut on the pitman arm, and torque everything.  I ordered a 1-5/16 socket from Tekton.com, this afternoon.  They make good stuff and shipping is super fast.  I got shipping confirmation about 30 minutes after I placed my order.  The socket will be here Wednesday, so I can finish the pitman arm tightening then, but I'll have the rest of the steering linkage ready to go by then.  

View attachment 49943
Looks good.

I am also a fan of Tekton tools. I have been buying a ton of their stuff and have loved it so far. I bought a complete 1/4" drive set, 3/8" drive set, 1/2" impact sets, sae and metric wrench sets, impact torx sets, ect ect.  I have been stocking up my 2nd box at home and love their stuff. Lifetime guarantee and no hassle to get replacement.  I broke 2 of the impact torx bits using my big gun and all you have to do is go online and take a pic, fill out form and they usually respond same day with shipping confirmation. Also all their sockets and wrench set are complete and do NOT skip sizes. Which is a huge plus. Keep up the good work on the car and dont be afraid to buy more tools from Tekton. 

Thanks, Tim and Turtle.  

Yes, Turtle and c9zx.  I have been a fan of Tekton tools for a while and probably more than half of my ratchets, sockets, screwdrivers, etc are Tekton.  The price is competitive, tools are good quality, and warranty is unequaled.  

@73MustangCoupe

Small question, I have received a new pitman arm and a puller for it a few weeks back.
I haven't removed the old one yet, but saw no wider splines on the what is visible of the shaft while seeing some (4) on the new one to align it correctly. Basically question is, are the 4 wide splines on the arm helping to set it back correctly also on the original shaft?

Hey Fabrice,

Once you pull the old pitman arm, you will probably find a flat.  That will allow you to index the pitman arm in one of four directions.  The correct direction should be obvious at that point.  Removing the pitman arm may difficult and require some persuasion with the "hot wrench".  Good luck.

Back