Thinking of installing a shift kit.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alarmrick

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
351C-4V
I have a 351c 4V with a C6. Would a shift kit give me crisper shifts? I don't race but would like the tranny to maybe wind out a little more than usual. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

Shift kits control how fast it goes from one gear to next, not at which RPM. I have a shift kit but I also don't have the kick down hooked up. If I put it in drive it shifts normally but I also can shift it 'manually' without having the kick down 'override' me.

I have a 351c 4V with a C6. Would a shift kit give me crisper shifts? I don't race but would like the tranny to maybe wind out a little more than usual. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks
If you want to change the shift points I think you can just do that at the modulator.. Usually you insert a small flat head screw driver..& adjust to change the shift points

Thanks
If you want to change the shift points I think you can just do that at the modulator.. Usually you insert a small flat head screw driver..& adjust to change the shift points
Thanks, I will look into that

I put a shift kit in all my trannys and love them. nothing like having a ratchet shifter and smacking 2nd gear and chirping the tires :D
I took mine out for a short test drive yesterday and smacked 2nd with my ratchet shifter and my new tires went up in smoke!!! :?)

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks
A shift kit will make it shift faster and therefore firmer. The adjustable modulator does affect part throttle shift RPM points. WOT RPM shift points are largely controlled by the governor. To my knowledge no "kit" is available for a C6. However specially modified governors are available that allow higher than stock RPM shift points. I suggest you contact these people. http://www.broaderperformance.com/en/7-valve-bodies Chuck

Broader is very good with building good valve bodies! They have built several for me. All shift hard and good. Mine is a c4 and will shift normal in drive. But it will also hold any gear to any rpm that I want.

Back