Throttle cable

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If too long you can cheat by looping the cable aroung a screw. Then you tighten it with a nut & washer. In this manner you can shorten it depending on the diameter of the screw and how many turns you go around. I have done it several times.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In doing a bit more research, I apparently have the 2V bracket on my 4V car. They look to be quite different.

Where can a person get a 4 v bracket? I think thats whats going on with me as well.

Here’s my set up. I have a 4v car and this is the original bracket. What I had to do was put some tall spacers under the bracket where it mounts to the intake. I have a Blue Thunder and is a bit taller than stock. Everything fit great and since this pic I have removed the bottom extra return spring. Anyway I can get better pics of how I bolted it to the intake tomorrow if you want.

Appreciate the offer jpaz. I was definitely looking at moving the stock bracket up. But that still won't help the fact that it needs to still come 5/8 to 3/4" back toward the firewall. I'm going to order a new cable(why not) and the system that TommyK is using and move on.

Ok Fellas,

Your posts just got the best of me, so I went to my parts car, 73 q code 4 sp. car and pulled the bracket, as it looked completely different from the current bracket that I am currently using.

First of all my current bracket (believed to be from a 302 2v) allows 100% opening from the loud pedal.

I then removed it and used a square and marked where the attachment holes were in relationship to the cable attachment.

Then I did the same to the Q bracket, same exact measurement, I would have sworn that the q bracket was longer and thus push the ball clip to a

more forward position, this did not happen.

With both brackets I am seeing the ball clip ahead of the ball stud by approx. 1/2'' (my Q bracket looks like the one Big Red Mach 1 posted a picture of)

My little test this morning leads me to two possibilities : the ball studs are too far rearward on the carb lever or not all intake manifolds are of the same orientation (their bracket location to carb pad location may be different).

Boilermaster

The current bracket that I am using, (believed to be 2v or a mutt) looks nothing like either of the pics that Don C. just posted.

I think the issues lie in where the carb is being located on the throttle shaft or with the intake manifold attaching points.

Boilermaster

My cable is too long. I need about 18 to 18.5" from the firewall to the ball socket. My current cable is 20. I'm checking with Don at OMS to see if his cable might work. I'm hoping I have the wrong cable installed and that the standard cable is the cable I need. Even with the adjustable bracket, there's just nowhere to shove 2 extra inches of cable.

Why do you need a shorter one? Your motor/carb should be in the same relevant position as mine and this one fits without problem. It was from NPD. I bought 2 so to have one for a spare. OR, is the Summit carb that much different to the Holley or QF?

Correct cable bracket location.

Last edited by a moderator:

If I had to guess, It's the orientation of the carb on this Offenhauser 360 intake. The Holley carb was the same way.  That's why Eddie bent the linkage and drilled additional holes on the Holley. I'm not willing to do that on this Summit carb. In order to hook it up anywhere, I have to compress the spring so much that it actually puts so much pressure on the primary shaft that it actually increases idle. I thought the new adjustable bracket would work , and it will, but there's nowhere for the excess cable to go. Shorter cable is my only option.

Last edited by a moderator:
@ Big Red Mach1, Ah, now I see what you're dealing with, a funky intake!! Are you sure you can't find a way to take up 1/12" of extra cable between the bracket and firewall?

No idea if shorter cables are available other than make you own.

Honestly, it sounds silly, but not without bending it to the point that I feel it won't end up prematurely wearing the inside of the sleeve. I do believe I have possibly found my fix though. The throttle cable for Ford Torino may work. Waiting one one more detail from the seller. Length is perfect. Just want to make sure it has the same firewall mount.

Honestly, it sounds silly, but not without bending it to the point that I feel it won't end up prematurely wearing the inside of the sleeve. I do believe I have possibly found my fix though. The throttle cable for Ford Torino may work. Waiting one one more detail from the seller. Length is perfect. Just want to make sure it has the same firewall mount.
Where there's a will, there's a way. hope that works for you.

On mine which is all stock apart from the carb, there is about 3/8" to 1/2' compression on the cable spring. There needs to be some compression to make sure the T/plates close, assuming that no extra springs are used. I have no issues reaching WOT.

On mine I had to install a bushing to move the cable support backwards plus used the trick I posted earlier where I winded the cable around a bolt/nut. Being able to fully open the butterflies at WOT is crucial for speed...... when I got my car from the previous owner the butterflies only opened about half. The good thing about is that it indicated that he was babying the engine.

Yup. That's about the amount of compression I'm looking for. Right now I'm super compressed (Over an inch) and cannot reach WOT.
That would be a concern for sure. Hope you find the solution. All good stuff to help others (including Omie1.)

Back