Throttle Linkage Modification Issue

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfoot72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang Coupe
I’m having an issue connecting my new Edelbrock 4 barrel carburetor to the existing throttle and kick down on my 1972 Mustang. I purchased the Edelbrock Throttle Lever Adapter Kit and i believe it looks to be set up correct (I’m an amateur so please correct me if I’m wrong). The only issue i seem to be having is that the bracket that’s attached to the intake manifold will bend my throttle cable if i attach it normally. So as seen in the picture where i circled, I made a half-ass modification by only mounting it to one of the bolts in the manifold. I’d really appreciate if someone could help me figure this out..

C6EAF8D7-0C2A-4B85-80CA-5FBE26B4403A.jpeg

7A84B166-47D1-4DB6-B27B-7B08CA7D1947.jpeg

It maybe as simple as reversing the "ball stud" (to the inside) and relocating the spring. That would be a straighter.

EVERYTHING is thought out on the engineering side of auto design. A throttle cable that pulls straight force is decreased when arm is at full travel (WOT). There are actually TWO brackets (different heights use with the 2V or the 4v) So SO many cars have mismatched components or modded carbs and no work put preserving rules of engineering.

Mark

Edelbrock sells a kickdown rod extension listed for 429/460 and a throttle cable adaptor listed for a 351M. Who knows what they will actually work with. May be of no help at all. Chuck

You may have to adjust your trans kick down linkage as well as the kick down spring. You want to make sure that it all moves freely. Everything is in a different position now so you have to do some modifications to all that stuff.

Wow.  I have no adapter kit at all on my 1406, and all I did was add the ball to the throttle lever and snap the factory cable onto it - used the factory bracket for the accelerator cable and everything.

Wow.  I have no adapter kit at all on my 1406, and all I did was add the ball to the throttle lever and snap the factory cable onto it - used the factory bracket for the accelerator cable and everything.
Do you have a picture you could show me? I'm surprised it worked well for you! I hope mine is that easy

You can’t reverse the ball mount on a C4 auto setup with the kick down rod, the rod is occupying the space.

If you don't mind I'd like to hijack this thread for a quick question:
Does this look like the proper routing for the kickdown rod? Mine wasn't installed when I bought the car.

This is towards the bottom of the firewall you can see the brake lines
Thanks,
MikePXL_20220101_171356833.jpg

Wow. I have no adapter kit at all on my 1406, and all I did was add the ball to the throttle lever and snap the factory cable onto it - used the factory bracket for the accelerator cable and everything.
Hey there. Are you running that set up right now?
Could you possibly take a few pics?
Post them or email?
I have an ugly accelerator cable set up with my 302, Edelbrock performer, and 1406.
Thx.

I think the adapter is just for connecting the kickdown rod to the 1406 linkage. This is what I have set up (still has the old kickdown). The adapter is what the kickdown rod is connected to. IIRC the throttle connection came with the carb.
Mike

PXL_20220101_171917568.jpg

I don't have a real clear pic, and the video I have of it is an .AVI - so, I'll need to convert it to something the site will allow.

I'm trying to follow this thread. I want to put a Edelbrock 1406 73 Q code 4v. Will this work on the factory manifold? I don't even want to carb swap much less an intake too! I want to remain as stock as possible. Thanks

I'm trying to follow this thread. I want to put a Edelbrock 1406 73 Q code 4v. Will this work on the factory manifold? I don't even want to carb swap much less an intake too! I want to remain as stock as possible. Thanks
I don't think the carb will mount to a 73 manifold. The manifold is an oddball spreadbore design.

I had to change manifolds to an Eddy to get it all to work.

I don't think the carb will mount to a 73 manifold. The manifold is an oddball spreadbore design.

I had to change manifolds to an Eddy to get it all to work.
Are you running a 1406? I was shopping and the pics of the carb underside look very close to photos I have of the factory manifold. Thanks

Are you running a 1406? I was shopping and the pics of the carb underside look very close to photos I have of the factory manifold. Thanks
Do some research, but I believe any Edelbrock squarebore carb will bolt on but the secondaries will not open. They will hit metal before they open.

The Edelbrock 1406 is a square bore and the secondaries are spaced very close together:
https://www.bing.com/images/search?...B46E127&selectedIndex=8&ajaxhist=0&ajaxserp=0
The Q code manifold is a spread bore with the secondaries spaced much further apart:
http://www.mustangtek.com/Intake/D1ZE-9425-BB.html
You will have to use an adapter like this one:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...1458796279876&utm_content=GSAPI+5ba2a448130a5
Darn now I am confused. Pictures of intake with secondaries much closer! I thought the 1406 would work on this manifold

Attachments

• s-l1600c (3).jpg
    s-l1600c (3).jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 8
Back