Steering linkage and bushings

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantOv

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Mach1
I got a good look at my steering linkage and it appears to me that the bushings are all pretty much shot. My thought was to remove the linkage in total then clean up and replace bushings. This is a manual steer setup. No bends or issues on the metal parts so I think just the bushings need to be replaced. Advice? I'm an electrical guy learning mechanical lingo as I go so forgive me if I get the terms wrong.

Attachments

• IMG20240323134006.jpg
    IMG20240323134006.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG20240323134000.jpg
    IMG20240323134000.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 1
Rock Auto should have what you need. Inner and outer tie rod ends, pitman arm (connects to the steering gear), and an idler arm. Drag links (the long center link) and seldom go bad. Check all the joints for play and only replace what you need.

These are good suggestions if I really need to replace the metal rods and arms but I'm not sure this is necessary since it is only the bushings that appear to be warn out. My arms/rods aren't bent or rusted and just need a good cleaning in my opinion. Since I'm not going for show quality or drag or ground up build I'm trying to replace only what is needed for good regular driving which is why I'm asking. Not trying to to cheap out but just put money to good use where necessary.

Thanks for the recommendations - seems reasonable to replace the parts. Rock Auto was def cheaper than other places I was looking at. After getting used to their funky website (reminds me of digikey or old mcmaster) i found most things. Idler recommendation was very helpful as well. For the pitman interface to a reused drag link - is there a bushing I will need to replace? It seems that the pitman integrated bolt will need to go into something like a bushing pressed into the drag link. Not finding that with my searches unfortunately.

Pitman arm (on the steering box) has an integral ball type joint, it's not replaceable.

That bushing is for the idler arm (mounted on the pass rail), and yours is aftermarket so that bushing may or may not work. Factory idler arm had two rubber bushings, yours has one and a sealed joint.

Back