Tilt column rebuild

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NG8264723

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang f code MACHI
Purchased in 1997 or so
So I just replaced the pin in my wives tilt with the pin from West coast cougar.  I have a few pointers.  The pawl that the pin goes in should be removed and all the grease cleaned.  The pin as machined by west coast cougar did not fit.  I believe they say it was oversized.  I put in in my drill pres and filed it and then polished it until it slid in nicely.  Once it lid in I replaced the pawl (the piece with the grooves for the lower pin) and used a punch to line up one side.  Now the hard part!  Starting the pin is easy but when it gets to the pawl it is a pain.  After some trial and error the best way is to feel it by hand push it until you can just start it.  Use a punch in the other side to line up the pawl.  Then slide it in.  Once in add the c clips and you are all set.  The lower pin is a bear but if yous is fine leav it alone!

Now the clockng.  It stinks!  What I did was put the ignition gear in and pull it all the way out.  I then slid the casting over the gear while turning the ignition gear with a screwdirver.  It worked and slid down nicely.  Email or PM me and I will help anyone with this difficult task.  Don;t rush it and give yourself 2-3 hours!

Back