Timing light advance measurement doesn't stop

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IF you choose to go with a new or reman, distributor, Rock Auto list the Cardone reman part # as 302813 for 351 CLEVELAND.  Also the Cardone Select part # 842813 for CLEVELAND. I don't know what the US prices is as I get it in Canadian dollars. They are complete Dizzy's with stock small caps. Personally, I'd go for the reman. Cardone claim that the Select version is engineered better than original, so your choice. Threads are metric on this one though.

As for DuraSpark, yes that would be where I'd go if and when I need to replace my existing dist.

Geoff.
Thanks. The issue is that those are points type. I would be looking into a magnetic trigger type. The magnetics I can only find with big caps from Cardone.
 If the Pertronix II will work as the trigger as you mentioned before as I recall, then all you do is change the points to Pertronix II. I could be talking out the back of my head now as when it comes to all this multi spark stuff, I'm getting out of my comfort zone.

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
The big caps are standard with Duraspark. All you have to do is take the cap and the adapter base off the Duraspark distributor and put on a small cap that fits your car now. You may have to limit the size of the spark plug gap with the small cap, though. You can go up to 0.060", or so, spark plug gap with a Duraspark and stronger coil, but may get crossfire in the cap if you go that big. You should be able to go to a 0.045" spark plug gap, though.

This distributor is all new, inexpensive, and has the small cap. Spectra acquired Rich Porter Industries circa 2014. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6283431&cc=1141423&jsn=480&jsn=480  Chuck

This distributor is all new, inexpensive, and has the small cap. Spectra acquired Rich Porter Industries circa 2014. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6283431&cc=1141423&jsn=480&jsn=480  Chuck
Thank you. That's the one I had in sight. I was a little unsure on how good the Spectra was.

The big caps are standard with Duraspark. All you have to do is take the cap and the adapter base off the Duraspark distributor and put on a small cap that fits your car now. You may have to limit the size of the spark plug gap with the small cap, though. You can go up to 0.060", or so, spark plug gap with a Duraspark and stronger coil, but may get crossfire in the cap if you go that big. You should be able to go to a 0.045" spark plug gap, though.
Don, I actually have gone that road in the past. I bought one of the Cardone Duraspark distributors with the big cap and the small caps don't fit. I had to Dremel the lip of the small cap quite a bit to make it fit. The diameter of the rim in the distributor is larger than the small cap's lip. Trust me, it doesn't make sense, but I spent a lot of time and effort going down that road. I eventually made the small cap fit but later screwed up the distributor while servicing it (don't ask how :whistling: ). Also, and this may apply for all the aftermarket distributors, the distance between the gear and flange is no completely correct so this has to be fixed to not destroy the gear.

"Also, and this may apply for all the aftermarket distributors, the distance between the gear and flange is no completely correct so this has to be fixed to not destroy the gear."
  ...…. And that's why I went with a Motorcraft reman. Even then I was leery of the quality of the replacement gear used. Cardone claim it is the same spec, but is it? That dizzy is still in the car with no problems at all so far after 2 years or so.

I do have a Cardone Select version in my box of tricks, but I'll admit I have not actually measured that critical dimension. I'm recovering from hip replacement surgery and not yet able to drive, soon I hope, but when I can, I'll take it to my former work and measure it accurately. I need to know anyway.

As for the Spectra one Chuck linked, I wouldn't mind betting it's the same casting as the Cardone Select one, but with electronics instead of points and sold through a different vendor. That's just a thought I had on it.

As a side line, I bought a cheapo Chinese poc from Rock Auto just for my own information when I started playing around with distributors and timing. as a quick test, I dropped it in the engine and ran it for about 10 minutes while I played with the timing. No intention of driving it with the cheapo, but when I took it out, the gear was already wearing. I sent it back for a refund along with a strong comment.

Buyer be ware for sure.

I'm enjoying reading this post as progresses hopefully to a good conclusion.

Geoff.

Back