Top loader synchro replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirconmach1

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 351 Cleveland, 4 barrel, ram air, 4 speed, factory a/c, 77 k original miles in bright red with black.

Drive it like you stole it!
Hello y’all, I would like to have my synchros replaced on my 71 M code 4 speed. 2 questions. Are special tools needed and where’s a good place to get the synchro kit. I have very good mechanical skills and would like to do this myself if possible. Thanks for your help.

The entire transmissions has to come apart to replace the synchros, so a complete rebuild is in order. I bought my rebuild kit from Dan Williams Toploaders, was about $200 shipped with the max load bearings. His website seems to be down, but AFAIK he's still in business.

(828) 524-9085

Call after noon, he keeps odd hours. Be sure you have an hour of your time blocked out, a place to sit and some refreshments available. He loves to talk about toploaders.

The only special tools needed are good snap ring pliers, access to a shop press (preferable) and some lengths of tubing.

Hello y’all, I would like to have my synchros replaced on my 71 M code 4 speed.

I have very good mechanical skills and would like to do this myself if possible. Thanks for your help.
Since you have good skills... Here is a link of one, of four videos in rebuilding a ford top-loader... the guys style needs some work, but he knows his stuff.

Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 8.25.57 AM.png

I agree with Hemi, do a complete rebuild. Worn bearings can cause the same symptoms as worn synchro rings. Plus, it just makes good sense to do it while it's apart. The extra cost of the bearings is cheap insurance.

The entire transmissions has to come apart to replace the synchros, so a complete rebuild is in order. I bought my rebuild kit from Dan Williams Toploaders, was about $200 shipped with the max load bearings. His website seems to be down, but AFAIK he's still in business.

(828) 524-9085

Call after noon, he keeps odd hours. Be sure you have an hour of your time blocked out, a place to sit and some refreshments available. He loves to talk about toploaders.

The only special tools needed are good snap ring pliers, access to a shop press (preferable) and some lengths of tubing.
Thanks for the info. This will be on my chopping block soon.

Since you have good skills... Here is a link of one, of four videos in rebuilding a ford top-loader... the guys style needs some work, but he knows his stuff.

View attachment 85746

Thanks. I did watch part 1 already. It’s nice to have a video to reference.

Hello y’all, I would like to have my synchros replaced on my 71 M code 4 speed. 2 questions. Are special tools needed and where’s a good place to get the synchro kit. I have very good mechanical skills and would like to do this myself if possible. Thanks for your help.
David Kee Top Loaders This is a source I looked at extensively when I was resto-modding my "66 F100. Actually purchased a Tremec but was undercut by a local where it was being sold from.

Anyhow, I've heard nothing but praise from people who have had their rebuilt or purchased a new 4spd. The link at the beginning is to their remanufacture page and has info that could help you out. Reasonable prices based on things too.

While I do understand some hesitation sending the rarer items, I'm concerned with the set of older closed chamber 4v Cleveland heads I'm getting ready to send out, he's reputable and you can document numbers just in case it helps and provides more peace of mind. I actually have an old die stamp kit and stamped a letter and number on each head to compliment the id numbers already present.

Back