trans lines to and from connections

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 convertible with 351C and C6 trans
i search here and didn't fine a definitive answer. i think mine are backwards. so on trans u have rear and frontal mountings, rad is on side with upper/lower fittings.

which one from trans goes to which fitting on rad..

the tubing installed now is rear trans to upper rad fitting.

i'm pulling engine and trans for engine rebuild and clean trans.

i'm also thinking of transmission rubber flex lines at auto zone

The formed steel lines at the radiator are pretty much determined by the bends as to high and low. Same with the lines as they reach the transmission. Since it's just a simple circulation loop, it does not make much difference even if they are backwards.

When I swapped in my AOD, I had ordered some stock replacement lines for the FMX, and there was no way they were going to work (different attachment points on the AOD). There was about 8" of 'leftovers' from the original AOD lines still on the transmission. I clipped the new lines, cleaned up the ends on both sets of lines, bubble flared everything, then connected them with some hoses. So far, so good.

Most likely though, the forward line on the transmission should be the "outlet" as it's closest to the pump (the rearward line being the "return" line from the cooler.

As well, the upper line should be the "inlet" for the cooler, and the bottom being the "outlet" back to the transmission, much like the radiator's upper and lower hoses use gravity to assist the water pump with the flow.

I'm looking for some diagrams to support this.

Latest posts

Back