Transmission / Gear Ratio Questions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoLimitssjca

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Coupe
1972 Mustang Mach 1
I've been doing some serious thinking and beginning to remember how much fun my 66 Chevelle was to drive with the 4 on the floor. I'm now considering putting a Manual transmission in my Mach 1. I'm a street only kind of guy and I would want to drive it frequently (suedo daily driver) but I have a few questions.

1: Is a 4 speed Top Loader a good option?

2: Would I do better in performance and gas mileage with a newer 5 or 6 speed?

3: What are the unforeseen costs with the different options?

I agree with will e on the 5-6 speed with OD. The overdrive will give you a higher final drive ratio which will allow you yo run a much more "fun" gear set in the rear end. The last thing you want to do is have to turn 4,000 rpm to hit 70 mph cruising speed!

My Mach1 went from c6 to Tremec TKO-500 (5-speed).

A new TKO was close to the same cost to put in a (good quality) rebuilt Toploader.

The TKO-600 (also 5-5peed) has different ratio gearing, so which you go with depends on

what rear gear you have.

A T-5-Z would be cheeper, but it is only rated for 330ft/lb torque.

A 6-speed is the hi-cost option, but unless your road racing at over 100pmh and need two OD gears, it's way over-kill for these cars.

Go with a toploader in my opinion. They are reputed to be unbreakable.

They are fun to drive but you have to work them.

mike
+1 on that, mine is a hand full. I guess I got spoiled with the new cars. How far you have to move the shifter is what still amazes me. But LOVE it.

mike
+1 on that, mine is a hand full. I guess I got spoiled with the new cars. How far you have to move the shifter is what still amazes me. But LOVE it.
People ask me why the Hurst shifter is so big. I tell them it gives me

something else to hang onto.

mike

It depends on what you want from the car. A toploader is probably one of the most durable options but it does not sound like you are going to drag race. I am going with a t-5 because they are affordable and plentiful used. As for cost it depends on your skill level, ability to fabricate, ability to find deals and how patient you want to be while gathering parts or if you want to buy a "kit". I have a thread going on my swap in the drivetrain section if you are looking for a low buck labor intensive solution.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-c-6-to-t-5-swap

Last edited by a moderator:

mike
People ask me why the Hurst shifter is so big. I tell them it gives me

something else to hang onto.

mike
True:cool:

So far we have a unanimous 50/50 split.

Jeff, I love finding a great deal. I'm patient and have a long way to go. Planning is my friend. My style would be running a windy back road with great handling acceleration, downshifting and stopping.

That being said, I would want to minimize fabrication in the tunnel and go towards direct bolt up. 1 more wrench to think about. Any significant difference in mating a 302 or 351?

No difference between the 302 or 351 as they are both small blocks. As for cutting the T-5 I am using absolutely fell into place using the C-6 crossmsmber and mount with no modification to the floor at all. The fabrication I am doing is all planning and mapping the mechanical clutch linkage. Hudraulic linkage is another good option which would require less fabrication.

I am completely with you on the running down a backroad part that is my intention.

No difference between the 302 or 351 as they are both small blocks. As for cutting the T-5 I am using absolutely fell into place using the C-6 crossmsmber and mount with no modification to the floor at all. The fabrication I am doing is all planning and mapping the mechanical clutch linkage. Hudraulic linkage is another good option which would require less fabrication.

I am completely with you on the running down a backroad part that is my intention.
Do we need to specify 302/351Windsor as small block bolt patterns? I was thinking the 351 C used the big block bolt pattern... or am I just confused? (haven't crossed this road yet)

Good work with the mods BTW!

Back