Travails of the Trailer Queen

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other than be prepared to get really dirty, because there is 40 years of crap under their. I think I must have scaped 10 pounds of "stuff" from the wheel wells alone. I did mine the old fashion way with a scraper, wire brush and occasionally a wire wheel. Of course the car was safely on proper jack stands and I had people around me to ask questions. I have had people suggest hotsie the underneath to save some time. I still have a section forward to do, so I might go that route. I don't know how many people are in an area where they undercoat there cars. The old style,etc, was still under mine. YUCK Also, forty years of farm country, remember they found her in a barn.

Personally, I would have preferred a reference to needing a large set of ovaries to drive a car like that. But, I am a woman. haha ;)

Personally, I would have preferred a reference to needing a large set of ovaries to drive a car like that. But, I am a woman. haha ;)
Oops, sorry, mach1mama! I keep asking questions of Denis by replying to you.... kind of a split personality thing in reverse due to the TTQ saga... :D

Doc

Your great story continues, Denis. :goodpost:

I LOVE the sticker and must have one. Any idea where I can get one?

Doc
Unfortunately no, I just this as an image on-line. However, there must be a graphic artist or two around here who could make a few of these. :idea:

Oops, sorry, mach1mama! I keep asking questions of Denis by replying to you.... kind of a split personality thing in reverse due to the TTQ saga... :D

Doc
No there's no confusion, me and the wife usually finishes each others sentences. Must be a married thing. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Your great story continues, Denis. :goodpost:

I LOVE the sticker and must have one. Any idea where I can get one?

Doc
Unfortunately no, I just this as an image on-line. However, there must be a graphic artist or two around here who could make a few of these. :idea:

Doc
No there's no confusion, me and the wife usually finishes each others sentences. Must be a married thing. ;)
That's a bit of my fault as well, you had addressed the post "shippy" but I couldn't resist making a comment. My name is Melody by the way. I know I haven't mentioned that previously:)

Other than be prepared to get really dirty, because there is 40 years of crap under their. I think I must have scaped 10 pounds of "stuff" from the wheel wells alone. I did mine the old fashion way with a scraper, wire brush and occasionally a wire wheel. Of course the car was safely on proper jack stands and I had people around me to ask questions. I have had people suggest hotsie the underneath to save some time. I still have a section forward to do, so I might go that route. I don't know how many people are in an area where they undercoat there cars. The old style,etc, was still under mine. YUCK Also, forty years of farm country, remember they found her in a barn.

If you buy yourself a 12 pack ... you can save a lot of time. but the 12 pack is "oven cleaner". Now that stuff burns the skin so wear a face shield, hat, an old rain coat is best but it's cheap and effective.

Thanks, Melody - now I can put a face to the name, er rather a Name to the name. Whatever... :)

Denis, it's a pleasure to formally meet your wife. Now that I've got it straight, regardless of the moniker posted under, I'll be able to address each of you appropriately. Here's to more conversation ahead! ::beer::

Doc

Part 13 (Originally posted 01 May 2011)

Another week, another update, not much to report this time around. The mechanic assisting my wife in re-assembling the Trailer Queen has been busy working on problems with his own vehicles for his other business. As such, he has not been able to get much accomplished on the Trailer Queen, even if he could we are still awaiting parts to complete the remaining work on the AC system. However this week was not a total loss, I managed to figure out how to download the engine break-in video and I have the dyno sheet. I also have photographs of more parts arriving and some corrosion that we found.

First off is the engine break in run video that I promised you all. Remember that for some reason I could not get the actual dyno pull on the video, for that I apologize.

The dyno sheets are little hard to read. The engine puts out 337.6 hp at 4800 rpm and 379.0 ft/lbs of torque at 3700 rpm.

IMG.jpg

dyno1.jpg

AC components partially assembled.

mod312.jpg

mod313.jpg

mod317.jpg

mod319.jpg

A new retro/modern radio.

mod311.jpg

mod310.jpg

Driver side rear floor pan rot.

mod321.jpg

mod323.jpg

Passenger side rear floor pan rot.

mod325.jpg

In a previous instalment I mentioned the rot and wrote that a temporary fix would be done with the final corrective measures completed next winter. However, it was decided that the best course of action would be to take care of the problem ASAP. To that end my wife ordered and received a complete floor pan from which an appropriate section of metal will be cut out to replace the rotten sections currently found on the Mach 1.

Driver side half pan.

mod306.jpg

Passenger side half pan.

mod308.jpg

The last item that we received was an optional chin spoiler, which will direct additional cooling air to the radiator, transmission cooler and AC condenser.

mod309.jpg

And now, for something completely different.

image0088.jpg

End of Part 13. Part 14 to follow.

Great installment! The engine looks great.

I came accross a copy your last warning sticker a few years ago. Once my boys were over 18 I printed one out for each of their Mustangs! I decided not to put one in mine! :shy:

I came accross a copy your last warning sticker a few years ago. Once my boys were over 18 I printed one out for each of their Mustangs! I decided not to put one in mine! :shy:
You're not afraid of the better half are you? if so, you're smart.

You're not afraid of the better half are you? if so, you're smart.
She wasn't too happy I gave them to the boys, so I figured I better not press my luck!;)

Personally, I don't see the need to have that particular sticker in my vehicle. Not that I don't like to go fast, but, I would rather my female friends keep there gear on in the car. The car already gets enough male attention. Her nickname in our local car club is "the man magnet", for obvious reasons.;)

Part 14 (Originally posted 09 May 2011)

Well, it looks like this will be the second to last instalment in the ongoing trials and tribulations of the “Trailer Queen”. Early this week the Mach 1 was complete enough to put on the road for its first “shake down” cruise. Other than a few problems things went amazingly well. In order to keep things clear and organized I’ll divide the car by system and give you, the readership, the results.

First off, the engine. As I have detailed in previous posts, during the engine dyno run at about 5,000 rpm the engine would make a strange noise, refuse to rev any higher and the hp seemed low for the amount of torque the engine was producing. At first we thought that maybe the valve springs weren’t strong enough causing the valves to float. Truth be told after the engine was installed our engine builder simply advanced the timing about 4 degrees at which point the noise stopped and the engine ran smoothly with a light “lumpy cam” sound and willingly reved right up with no problems. One problem picked up was when we tried to install the Ram Air filter tray we found that the electronic MSD distributor was much too tall, making it impossible to fit the Ram Air cleaner on the carburetor. As we have regular air cleaner this does not affect the engine, so we’ll leave it alone for the time being and later in the year we’ll see about getting a shorter distributor in order to allow the use of the Ram Air. On the first test drive we found that the car would bog for a short period of time just prior to when the secondaries would kick in, a quick adjustment and the problem was somewhat solved.

The exhaust system has been an unending source of frustration due to interference issues. It took many hours of “fine tuning” and “massaging” to get the headers to fit. Also, because the headers where installed and removed several times the gaskets where damaged requiring them to be replaced, even so we found we had a very minor “ticking” caused by a small exhaust leak that was effectively rectified with something my wife called copper silicone? The original thought for the remaining exhaust system was a dual 2-1/2 inch mandrel bent stainless with either an “X” or “H” crossover and a pair of Pypes mufflers. What she finally ended up with was a custom made 2-1/2 inch stainless steel system, but with no “X” or “H” crossover due to the fact that there was no place to install one. And instead of a set of Pypes mufflers she’s using a pair of Thrush mufflers for their Old School rumble, and rumble they do. She got exactly the sound she was looking for, a nice, deep, low rumble at idle but with a loud bark when she comes on to the throttle all while maintaining a reasonably civilized sound levels inside the car. She couldn’t be happier.

One the first test drive our builder noticed that the transmission was slipping a little, another quick adjustment of the valves (?) and no more slipping. There is a very small vibration emanating from the driveline, the cause of which is probably an out of balance drive shaft or trouble in the pumpkin. Either way it is very minor and will taken care of when the wife gets a new drive shaft (I’m trying to convince her to go carbon fibre) and converts her stock 3.27 open differential to a limited slip unit sometime next year.

The four wheel disc brakes work very well, no more praying that you’ll be able to stop without ending up sideways on the highway when you hit the brakes.

After putting the car on the ground the wife didn’t quite like the stance, she wanted a little more height in the rear, so instead of jacking up the rear using lifting shackles she had a pair of air shocks installed so that she could adjust the height to her liking. A pair of traction bars where also installed.

As detailed in previous instalments, we recently noticed some rust through in the floor pan in the rear passenger compartment. As this greatly concerned out mechanic we ordered and received new left and right floor pans of which about the rear third was used to replace the rotted metal. Once the new metal was welded in it was coated with three coats of stone guard. All the front metal that was installed by our original body shop has been repositioned, “tweaked” and re-welded in place to eliminate the out of whack front end (again I must emphasize that the chassis is straight and true). The chin spoiler has been installed, both doors and front fender as well as the hood and grill have been re-aligned and look much better.

All the new accessories have been installed, the radio looks like an OEM unit but is completely modern allowing my wife to play CD’s or plug in her I-pod. The after market AC has been installed but must be charged with Freon before we can install the compressor belt, we plan on doing this sometime within the next few weeks.

My wife took possession of the Trailer Queen last night (08 May) although there still remains some very minor body work left to do, but at this point my wife just wants to get the car on the road. All remaining issues will either be taken car of later this year or early next year. The important thing is that the Mach1 is now totally safe, very reliable and much more comfortable than when she started this odyssey.

And now for the obligatory Pics

I apologize for the quality of the photographs in this instalment, once I get access to a lift I’ll take better photographs and post them ASAP.

Now that my wife has made her big reveal to our club members the embargo she imposed on me with regards to the custom paint for her Ram Air breather cover can now be lifted. This very talented artists name is Travis Roma. This young man had a great future ahead of him and is someone to watch. You can see more of his very impressive work on Face Book. Although he primarily does more modern “true flame” work he agreed to do an old school rendition of the Cobra Jet. Here it is mid way through the process.

mod342.jpg

mod344.jpg

Here it is completed.

mod345.jpg

On the Mach 1 with the Ram Air cleaner (less air box seal).

mod328.jpg

On the regular air cleaner.

mod330-1.jpg

New floor pan metal (passenger side).

mod335.jpg

Exhaust system looking from front to rear.

mod336-1.jpg

Exhaust system looking from back to front. As you can see there’s little to no room for a crossover pipe.

mod341-1.jpg

Shiny new Stainless Steel Thrush mufflers.

mod337-1.jpg

New air shocks.

mod338-1.jpg

Traction bars, I’ll get a picture of them installed as soon as I can.

mod326-1.jpg

3/4 Front left and right before the rear air shocks where installed.

mod332-1.jpg

mod331-1.jpg

There will probably be a two week pause before I post my last instalment on the “Travails of the Trailer Queen” to allow my wife time to break the car in and get the remaining minor items done/checked out. However in the interim I will post more photos as they become available. If any of you have any questions or want me to post any specific photos please feel free to ask.

End of part 14. Part 15 to follow.

Looks like it all came together with great results. That is great art work too on the air cleaners! Are those the "Hush" Thrush muffers?
No, they're not "Hush Thrush", they're two chambered 304 polished stainless steel "Thrush Welded" mufflers and trust me there's hardly any hush.

Very nice! I'm looking forward to hear how things went on the road last season.

X2 on the artwork... that "kid" is good!
This kid is not good, he's phenomenal. He's so talented that he was commissioned by the Canadian Air Force to paint a flight helmet for Prince William (a chopper pilot) as a wedding present from the Air Force when the Royal Couple did there world tour honeymoon last summer. I'm hoping to eventually have him do some very tastefull custom paint work on the hood of my car.

Part 15. Epilogue (Originally posted 31 May 2011)

Well, aside from posting a few more photos as they become available, this will be my last instalment of the Travails of The Trailer Queen for the remainder of this calendar year. It’s been over three weeks since the last report, the delay was due mostly to poor weather conditions and the long weekend celebrations. However my wife was able to get a few good runs in the last few weeks, and other than the few items mentioned in part 14 the Mach 1 ran flawlessly. Of the outstanding issue, the AC system is schedule to be charged with Freon tomorrow and the compressor belt installed. The driveline vibration will be addressed by replacing the 38-year-old OEM driveshaft with an aluminium unit (the wife wouldn’t spring the cash for Carbon Fibre). If the vibration persists then the problem is likely with the pumpkin, if this is the case my wife will upgrade to a new traction lock instead of the stock open differential.

Since the rebuild the cars gas mileage has been improving as time goes on, even though the car puts out about 100 more ponies than new (depending on who you talk to) and probably 150 – 200 more than before the car was re-built. The exhaust sounds awesome, it definitely sounds old school. Some members of our club have inducted her into the “Loud Mustang” section of the club.

After owning the car for two years the wife finally allowed me to drive the “Trailer Queen”, I almost forgot how these cars drive and handle, the sudden jolt when the secondaries kick in or when the C6 downshifts (I haven’t owned a automatic car since about 1985), the mushy brakes (although the rears are now discs the front still uses OEM type single piston callipers), going around curves is also an interesting evolution what with leaf springs and the rear end being moderately jacked up by air shocks. All in all it was an entertaining and nostalgic drive for me. But what really surprised me was the attention, the looks of appreciation, the thumbs up and the positive comments from my fellow motorists and pedestrians. I own an ‘08 Grabber Orange GT500 Convertible and it doesn’t get near the attention the “Trailer Queen” gets…Hhhmmm… maybe I should ask the wife if she wants to trade cars.

My wife has now been bitten by the mod bug, she’s already planning for future improvements/changes, aside from the ones already mentioned she plans on gutting and restoring the interior (i.e.) re-building the seats, new headliner, seat covers, carpets, door panels, handles, hush matting the floor and re-chroming the interior metal parts. She’s also toying with the idea of replacing the recently installed Edelbrock 650 cfm carburetor with a new Holley 4 injector TBI Electronic Fuel Injection system. I’m trying to convince her to upgrade to 4-piston front and 2 piston rear brake callipers to improve the cars stopping power.

Here are a few lessons learned that some of you may find useful if you should decide to embark on a re-build of your own rides, this is in no way a comprehensive list, just observations from a novice.

1. It WILL cost more than you think.

My wife’s rebuild of her car came in just slightly over budget, it was just a few hundred over. She managed this by going to each vendor/shop and giving them an unvarnished description of the condition of the car, with photos if appropriate (at this time the car was dead in our garage) and a list of what she wanted done. She then asked for an estimate for the worst case scenario, then she added another 50% to the total. In the long run it all worked out, some items came way over budget, some on budget, and some way under budget.

2. Make sure you know EXACTLY what you want BEFORE you start.

By and large my wife kept to her plan and made no major changes to her initial vision of what she wanted. Engine, complete rebuild with new/modern components, between 300 – 400 horsepower using only mild carburator, intake and cam modifications (she wanted a cruiser not a bruiser). Transmission, rebuilt with a mild shift kit. Brakes, four wheel disc with larger than OEM fronts and new master cylinder and brake lines etc…and AC. Making changes mid way through a rebuild can be costly both in time wasted and money spent.

Make sure you know what you want, but decide if it’s the smart choice (i.e.) if you want a numbers matching perfect restoration bringing the car back to showroom originality, by all means put on those scary four wheel drum brakes with skinny tires and standard steering. Tune up or replace that rare and expensive fiddly carburetor that gets crappy gas mileage. Keep tweaking and cleaning those points or adjusting those lifters but don’t expect to be doing much trouble free driving. If on the other hand your not going for a concourse level restoration it might be wise to get a modern induction/ignition system or better brakes etc… and have a reliable, safe car that you can drive trouble and worry free. The last thing you want to do is spend tons of money on a car you don’t enjoy or are afraid to drive. In the case of my wife I tried to get her to go with multi piston brake calipers but she decided against it.

3. Research, research, research.

Even more important than knowing what you want is knowing if it can be done and what it would cost (parts and labour). This is especially important if you have a rare or short run vehicle, case is point is the Cleveland engine which had a limited run (about 5 years) with multiple variations making it more difficult to source parts as compared to a Windsor engine. She also wanted the stock cast heads replaced with aluminium units but could not find the correct 4V units at a reasonable cost so she had the stockers refreshed, re-built and machined to accept larger valves. When my wife decided she wanted larger front brake she had to go with larger wheels, which meant larger tires while making sure that there wouldn’t be any clearance issues. Researching beforehand gives you a good handle on what is available so you can avoid delays.

4. After market parts may not fit as advertised.

Despite what some part suppliers may say, even big name brands, that their parts are “bolt on”; it’s not always true. In the case of the “Trailer Queen” the headers, AC unit and rear brake kit were a constant source of consternation and the Edelbrock carb needed some minor throttle linkage mods to work properly. Important factors when choosing an aftermarket vendor are reputation, customer service and a lenient return policy. This is particularly true if the parts do not fit, are missing or no longer required. We found the Mustang Shop based in Calgary to be the best vendor we have dealt with and highly recommend them.

5. The shops that starts the work on your car may not be the ones that finishes it, be prepared and have a back up shop/plan.

Of the five shops/mechanics originally contracted to work on the Mach 1. 1 completed the work perfectly and on time (transmission). 1 completed the work on time but we had to have another shop take of errors (body). 1 shop (assembly disassembly, general mechanical) was so far over his head with other projects that he couldn’t give us a start time let alone a completion time even though he had the car for several weeks, so we cancelled the contract. 1 shop was unable to complete work (engine) due to financial, legal, business problems (of the shop owner) not related to this rebuild. The last mechanic (engine), who was a business partner of the engine shop owner contracted to do the work on the Cleveland, stepped forward and not only finished the engine, he also completed the remaining work and rectified the errors in the body.

6. Specialty shop for specialty components.

Notwithstanding point #5 it is important not to depend on one shop to do all the work. I don’t think there are very many shops that can handle complete rebuilds, most of them are probably going to outsource some work to specialized shops (i.e.) engine, machining, transmissions and gears etc... When this happens you probably won’t know who they are or what kind of quality your going to get. Despite the problems we had, my wife made it a point to know WHO is doing WHAT so she knew exactly who to talk to if things go sideways, I think that is the best way to do things

7. Big name shop may not necessarily be the best shop.

Of the people/businesses mentioned in point #5 it seems that the best service and quality was an inverse function of name recognition/reputation of the shop. The bottom was the shop (assembly, disassembly) a big name in the area, that took on more than he could handle. The second shop (engine) a shop with a good reputation, left us hanging due to his business, legal problems. The third shop (body) an expensive shop with and excellent reputation, although did excellent work on the body and paint work messed up on the replacement of structural metal. The top two shops/technicians were the retired Ford Master Technician who worked on the transmission did excellent work and completed it well under budget and on time. And the engine shop business partner who stepped up to the plate when the other big name shops either couldn’t get’er done or messed up. We have since become good friends with the family of this person.

8. Expect delays and the unexpected.

If you strictly adhere to observation #2 and #3 and the vendors have a lenient return policy, order all your parts as soon as possible to avoid weather, strike, parts availability, shipping etc… delays. This does not apply to parts required to rebuild engines, transmissions, differentials or any other components being done by a specialty shops. In the case of my wife, she ordered the AC, brake system, master engine fastener kit structural metal and body panels as well as many other miscellaneous parts. Even so there will always be some king of delay, it just seems to be the nature of the beast. As for the unexpected, we were very surprised by the state of the rear floor plan, as stated in a previous instalment, we, as well as other mechanics, have been under that car several times but nobody saw the rust. This alone caused a good two week delay. Another unexpected issue deals with points #4 bolt on parts that don’t.

9. Stay in communication with the shops

Keep constant communication with the shops doing the work. My wife would at least every three or four days politely speak to one or more of the shops. She would also visit the shops about once a week, often taking pictures, again, always with a upbeat and friendly attitude. Although this may see a little extreme it has the advantage of letting the shop owner know that she’s keeping an eye on them and on the progress of her car, while allowing her to ask questions if she sees something she doesn’t like. The visits also allows the shop owner to point out any problems and if required ask for direction. Could you have imagined where the Mach 1 would currently be in it’s rebuild if my wife had dropped the car off at the shop (assembler/disassembler) in early January and showed up end of April to pick up her car without contacting the shop in the interum. Oh Boy, fireworks would have definitely ensued.

If anyone has any other points or advice please feel free to post them.

Here are a few new photographs for your enjoyment.

Ram air plenum mounted to the hood.

mod346.jpg

Ram air hood nostrils.

mod348.jpg

Ram air intake when intake is in vacuum (engine running).

mod351.jpg

Ram air intake when intake is not in vacuum (engine off or at wide open throttle).

mod347.jpg

Traction bars installed.

mod349.jpg

mod350.jpg

And know in keeping with this forums title I have taken a selection of previously posted photos and turned them into a before and after montage.

Car profile. Before.

DSCN0595-1-1.jpg

After.

mod354.jpg

Transmission. Before.

mod056.jpg

After.

mod245.jpg

Engine. Before.

mod058-1.jpg

After.

mod217.jpg

Engine bay. Before.

100_3133.jpg

After.

mod357.jpg

I’ll continue posting new photographs and possibly some videos.

Till next year, have fun and enjoy your rides whatever they may be.

Today, 19 Feb 2012. Sometime in the next week or so I'll write a post, with pictures, detailing the events of 2011 and the current status of the "Trailer Queen".

Back