Trunk Fitment

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteG41

Reaction score
My Car
351c 2v, FMX Transmission. Ordered from Sanderson Ford in Phoenix, 99k original miles.
I searched through the forums on panel adjustments and things like that, and it seems the consensus is just to manually bend them? The trunk lid on my 73 is sitting high on both sides. I can push it down and looks like it levels out but comes up as soon as I release pressure. Any suggestions? Or can I loosen the striker in the trunk to make the adjustment? I know when they were assembled it wasn’t perfect, but the lines are visibly off and am doing some other things while I wait for motor rebuild funds

Attachments

• 5FE97E47-515C-401B-AC7A-CE6F0B805965.jpeg
    5FE97E47-515C-401B-AC7A-CE6F0B805965.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
If both side are up an equal amount, try moving the striker down keeping it centered left to right if the vertical gaps are the same when closed. There is also adjustability in the latch as well. Chuck

If both side are up an equal amount, try moving the striker down keeping it centered left to right if the vertical gaps are the same when closed. There is also adjustability in the latch as well. Chuck
Yep both sides are evenly up, although it looks like it might have to go a tiny bit left as well. I thought I might be able to adjust the striker on the trunk lid but wasn't too sure so figured I would ask before I went adjusting on things.

Looks like a simple striker or latch adjustment to bring it down.
Very simple. Went to adjust it aaaaand, my key is stuck in the lock. Somehow managed to work some lock lube in there and it finally came out. I was able to get the gaps even on both sides with some hinge adjustments, but the striker in the trunk is as low as it will go.

Last edited:
I searched through the forums on panel adjustments and things like that, and it seems the consensus is just to manually bend them? The trunk lid on my 73 is sitting high on both sides. I can push it down and looks like it levels out but comes up as soon as I release pressure. Any suggestions? Or can I loosen the striker in the trunk to make the adjustment? I know when they were assembled it wasn’t perfect, but the lines are visibly off and am doing some other things while I wait for motor rebuild funds
Yes, if one side is higher than the other at the back edge of the trunk, the way to adjust the trunk is to grab it by both ends and bend it. As weird as that sounds there isn't a much better way to do it, LOL.

Back