Trunk Rehab

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The back edge of the floor should sit flush to the crossmember (You have to fit the gas tank & filler neck to center the hole in the floor foreward ,back) If it still hangs over after fitting the tank then trim flush

The rear body panel should sit flush to the bottom edge of the crossmember..Don't worry about the center hump..or the old spot weld marks

You also need the rear bumper reinforcements that go from the floor to the bumper mounts..it will help set the rear body panel

You need your new Rear body panel..That's what you should be fitting , it's gonna fit different..trust me:)

You need to install the trunk lid too to fit the rear body panel & quarter panel gaps BEFORE you weld anything

You need to also fit the rear bumper

I see all my advice helped you:p The bill is in the mail:p

Send it on, the info has been very helpful :D

I am not sure I can push the taillight panel up that far and make it meet the qtr panels correctly. I have the new tailight panel, and I had planned on mounting the trunk lid back on for alignment. The filler neck needs to be located where and how? I do have repop's for the bumper mounts but they are different then the factory pieces, I had thought about torching some out of a junk car. I also don't know how they mount. Is there any other metal that reinforces the bumper connection?

Thanks, Charles

As for the Mustang shop accessories, its bad when that is the first time you have used your 300# olympic bar set that you've had for several years :p

Send it on, the info has been very helpful :D

I am not sure I can push the taillight panel up that far and make it meet the qtr panels correctly. I have the new tailight panel, and I had planned on mounting the trunk lid back on for alignment. The filler neck needs to be located where and how? I do have repop's for the bumper mounts but they are different then the factory pieces, I had thought about torching some out of a junk car. I also don't know how they mount. Is there any other metal that reinforces the bumper connection?

Thanks, Charles

As for the Mustang shop accessories, its bad when that is the first time you have used your 300# olympic bar set that you've had for several years :p
Maybe someone can snap a shot of the trunk floor to bumper mount brkts & the gas tank filler neck where it goes through the floor for him? I know the repo's look a bit different but the "step" is correct I would say fit the new panel..fit the lid..& see where the bottom edge ends up. Then post a pic. of whatcha got

Last edited by a moderator:
I can snap a few pictures later today but I have the tank in now if it matters. But no bumper installed yet so maybe it will help.
He needs to see how the filler tube goes from the taillight panel to the trunkfloor (through the floor gasket) & where the floor to taillight panel reinf. brkts are located

Hope these help.
Tn..I think Patcon owes you a brew in the vip lounge:) Those are some great reference pics ! Should help anyone doing a trunk floor...rear body panel..Btw NICE CLEAN TRUNK looks great !
Thanks it actually needs a respray now I did not block it off when we did the lizard skin and got quite a bit of overspray:mad: But looks a helluva lot better than it did when we started.

Question if I may jump in on this thread. TN, are those aftermarket taillights? They sure look nice and clean, and the wire harness looks different? Also, when I changed my tank, I could not find the right gasket for the tank to filler neck. Does anyone know if that is being reproduced now? I ended up epoxying mine, but it doesn't give like it should I think.

Question if I may jump in on this thread. TN, are those aftermarket taillights? They sure look nice and clean, and the wire harness looks different? Also, when I changed my tank, I could not find the right gasket for the tank to filler neck. Does anyone know if that is being reproduced now? I ended up epoxying mine, but it doesn't give like it should I think.
THey are stock tail lights with Dakota Digital lights installed that we did the black paint with a product from Mar-Hyde

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3MAutomotive/Aftermarket/Products/Product-Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECFTDQCEK3_nid=8HCFGZ0XXKbeFDKXQL309Jgl

Here is your seals:

http://www.ohiomustang.com/store/item_listing.asp?pcid=3&L1=Fuel%20System&L2=Seals

Tail Light - blackened.jpeg

Good pics, I appreciate those they show the seam at the rear of the trunk floor real well. Also the location of the reinforcing brackets. The beer is in the fridge and cold. It's waiting on you when youre ready.:p Another question is how do I locate the rear tailight panel? What has to be checked? I don't want to tack it in and realize something doesn't fit. From what I can tell from the assembled cars in the junk yard none of the trim or tailight lenses meet up against anything else. I plan on finish fitting the tailight panel this weekend and start tacking some sheetmetal down ;)

Thanks, Charles

Good pics, I appreciate those they show the seam at the rear of the trunk floor real well. Also the location of the reinforcing brackets. The beer is in the fridge and cold. It's waiting on you when youre ready.:p Another question is how do I locate the rear tailight panel? What has to be checked? I don't want to tack it in and realize something doesn't fit. From what I can tell from the assembled cars in the junk yard none of the trim or tailight lenses meet up against anything else. I plan on finish fitting the tailight panel this weekend and start tacking some sheetmetal down ;)

Thanks, Charles
Charles if you have it fitted up & down (bottom edge pretty much even with the crossmember) The only other thing to do is center it..Measure from the inner back edge of each qtr panel to the center screw hole of the gas tank filler neck (where the neck screws to taillight panel) If it's an aftermarket taillight panel those holes could be off, so instead measure to the outer edge of the tailight cut out...so left inner qtr edge to rt rear tailight cut out edge...Then reverse...this will get the panel centered...Also a good Idea to put the qtr end caps on too..just to make sure you have the same gap on each side from the qtr end cap to the outer edge of each tailight.

Scott

Thanks Scott,

That's what I had thought about doing but I wasn't sure if I was missing soemthing. You would hate to weld it up and then find you overlooked something. Spot welds are bad enough the first time. Don't want any "do overs"

Thanks, Charles

Thanks Scott,

That's what I had thought about doing but I wasn't sure if I was missing soemthing. You would hate to weld it up and then find you overlooked something. Spot welds are bad enough the first time. Don't want any "do overs"

Thanks, Charles
You got it Charles..I know about those spot welds..But sometimes it happens & ya gotta do ,what ya gotta do ..Good luck & keep us posted !

Last edited by a moderator:
Made some progress last weekend. My son and I added the spare tire loop on top of the trunk floor and the support that holds the front of the tank to the bottom of the floor. We laid out where the floor panel ran with the frame rails from underneath by outlining with a sharpie. I then marked where I wanted holes in the floor pan about every 2 1/2"s. Insted of using a drill bit I got to use one of my new toys from Christmas :D Break out the plasma cutter. I cut all the holes in the floor pan in about 20 minutes, maybe 120 holes. It works fabulous.

DSC_0279.JPG

Knock everything down a little with a 60 grit 2" roloc disc, degrease, weld tru primer and you are ready for final fitting.

I do have a question about the trunk gutter, are there supposed to be little vee shaped notches on each side of the trunk to let water out? Most of this is rusted away, but that is what it looks like. If that is the case I will refab them.

DSC_0190.JPG

DSC_0192.JPG

Another one of my helpers

DSC_0129.JPG

Here is the "Bean Pole" at the bead blaster cleaning some of his Mustang parts. The Mach 1 is his first car, and I really don't work on it with out him. I have projects of my own (240z's).

DSC_0284.JPG

This weekend we were gone most of the weekend but today we started tacking down the trunk floor. Wow we have real metal and shiny too... :D

It is such a nice change from rusted out mess :s

DSC_0600.JPG

Making progress... :cool:

Charles

Tnfastbk,

Give us a shout if you get close by. We are only about 25 minutes from G'ville. Come by and we will give you a tour of the shop and that brew I owe you. Always on tap and always cold...:p

Charles

Tnfastbk,

Give us a shout if you get close by. We are only about 25 minutes from G'ville. Come by and we will give you a tour of the shop and that brew I owe you. Always on tap and always cold...:p

Charles
You got it. But I'm usually on 26 pedaling hard to the beach, but plan a trip to g'ville once the car is road worthy though.

I was still wondering if those little notches are supposed to be on either side of the trunk?

Thanks, Charles

I was still wondering if those little notches are supposed to be on either side of the trunk?

Thanks, Charles
Nice Job Guy's thats great you got the kids involved !! Glad to see you have overcome some major problems ! I think what you mean by the v's are the steps for the overlap of the corner piece to the rear panel..they are supposed to be there ,your pic of the left side is what it should look like, but about a 1/4' longer there should be about an 1/8 to 3/16" space between the overlap step & the start of the corner piece...Keep up the good work !

Scott

Back