Trying to explain away the stupid in a decision?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1 351c FMX trans and 9 inch rear end
My lease is up on my 2021 Wrangler Rubicon in 7 days. I ordered my 2024 Rubicon about 8 weeks ago because they told me it would take 6-8 weeks. The UAW calls a partial strike and of course out of the nearly 100 plants they could choose they pick the Toledo Jeep plant. That's where, you guessed it, they make Wranglers.
So with all that in mind:

I need an every day car right?
I ordered a Jeep to be that car, right?
UAW went on strike, right?
It looks like it's going to be a long strike, right?
And I still need a car, right?
And UAW is on strike, right?
My replacement Jeep ain't coming for a while, right?
And I still need a car right?
Oh, and 72 Ranchero's are my favorite year.:LOL:

I think I should just tell my wife it's the universe telling us we need to buy this Ranchero, lol.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_8402.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_8402.jpg
    809.2 KB · Views: 1
  • thumbnail_IMG_8400.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_8400.jpg
    1,010.2 KB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail_IMG_8396.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_8396.jpg
    907.4 KB · Views: 2
  • thumbnail_IMG_8398.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_8398.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail_IMG_8397.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_8397.jpg
    881.6 KB · Views: 0
Every day car with no overdrive?

And you gotta ask for pictures and receipts for the paint and body work. It says new paint, but if they put in on bad body work or on top of old paint, it wont stay looking that good very long.

Every day car with no overdrive?

And you gotta ask for pictures and receipts for the paint and body work. It says new paint, but if they put in on bad body work or on top of old paint, it wont stay looking that good very long.
I agree, I have never bought a car done before. I always buy ones that need restoration and do it myself, so I know exactly how it was done and no doubts. I have always torn down all of my cars to empty shells and have them stripped down to bare metal and then epoxy primer them inside and out so I know what I am building on and that it's sealed up. Out of my comfort zone to buy a finished one, but my Mach won't be done until next spring probably and I can't have too projects at one time. Momma don't play that, lol. Also very good point about the overdrive, but I understand the Gear vendors OD units work really well.

Last edited:
There's also the rear wheel drive, light ass rear end, going in to winter, salt on the roads, only really a two seater, can't really haul anything, kind of a silly car premise in the first place thing that I have to reason with. I got my wife a 2023 Infiniti Q60S AWD that I could drive when it's actually snowy outside. So that solves some of those issues, except maybe the it's really just a two seater thing. Because, even though her car is officially a four passenger you can't really fit two adults in the back seat comfortably.

There's also the rear wheel drive, light ass rear end, going in to winter, salt on the roads, only really a two seater, can't really haul anything, kind of a silly car premise in the first place thing that I have to reason with. I got my wife a 2023 Infiniti Q60S AWD that I could drive when it's actually snowy outside. So that solves some of those issues, except maybe the it's really just a two seater thing. Because, even though her car is officially a four passenger you can't really fit two adults in the back seat comfortably.
2-seater problem is easily solved. Bolt down some seats in the back like a subaru brat.

1695481769295.png

We were looking at replacing my 97 Ranger with a Gladiator Mojave. They are offering some great deals on 2023's but I want a 2024 because of the updates I want. Not sure I can afford one considering the interest rates have gone up significantly. Think I'll wait a while and get the wife a new 2024 Mustang GT instead,mustang GT.jpg so she won't whine about me putting a TKX in the Mach1

Love the '72 model. Body on full frame, no hideous bumpers.

Why not just buy out the lease and drive it until new one available?

As long as it spent most of its life in the southwest and wasn't imported to Laughlin from Michigan, rust shouldn't be a problem. The biggest problem there is interior sun damage, and it sounds like it has been taken care of. As long as it doesn't smoke you should be OK, it's old enough to be waived from smog inspection in the Las Vegas area, as long as it doesn't smoke, and you drive it less than 5,000 miles a year and you have it registered as a classic vehicle.

I come at the issue with a different point of view. I have never ever bought a car because it's "sensible", or has extra seating for others, or It'll help save the planet, or it gets ten billion miles per gallon. I will buy a car because I LIKE IT. IT LOOKS GOOD TO ME. Maybe today's buyer has gotten numb to automotive passion. Get a car because it turns you on. If you buy a car, and drive to the store, and on the way in you don't stop and turn around to look at it, you bought the wrong car. C'mon guys, when you see a girl who catches your eye, you don't care about the details, you want to get to know her. Cars should be the same feeling. Leasing is like dating for years with no commitment. That relationship is going to end, after a few years. No need to try to keep it going. If you really dig the car, buy it, make it yours, maintain it, and it will take care of you. To deep for some? Then you really aren't a "car" person.

Came here to mention what Klingon said. End of the lease has a buffer. They will work with you especially if you have another one coming.

Ranchero looks nice, too. Just make sure you check it out.

Last edited:
Rancheros are great vehicles. I’ve had two of them. Fishmouths , being one of my favorites. By the way, I’ll be in the Laughlin area on Tuesday if that will help.

My lease is up on my 2021 Wrangler Rubicon in 7 days. I ordered my 2024 Rubicon about 8 weeks ago because they told me it would take 6-8 weeks. The UAW calls a partial strike and of course out of the nearly 100 plants they could choose they pick the Toledo Jeep plant. That's where, you guessed it, they make Wranglers.
So with all that in mind:

I need an every day car right?
I ordered a Jeep to be that car, right?
UAW went on strike, right?
It looks like it's going to be a long strike, right?
And I still need a car, right?
And UAW is on strike, right?
My replacement Jeep ain't coming for a while, right?
And I still need a car right?
Oh, and 72 Ranchero's are my favorite year.:LOL:

I think I should just tell my wife it's the universe telling us we need to buy this Ranchero, l

I recently bought a new GT Mustang. But summer is ended so I wanted a cheap daily driver only to see high prices for high mileage cars, so I bought this Ranchero. I had to do some maintenance and fix a few things but I am driving it to work 45 miles per day 20230808_100219.jpeg20230808_100152.jpeg

Back