Turn signal won't flash

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 mustang convertible(some day)
I'm installing a new steering when i put everything back with my harness I noticed that my turn signal would just be a solid color. I don't know if it's solid because I don't have any of the bulbs in and I don't have the rear harness in. I did purchase a new flasher and that didn't solve the problem. Does anybody know if the bulbs are not installed or the rear harness is not installed will the blinker not work?

Here's what I think:  When a signal bulb burns out, that side will stay lit solidly because now the circuit can't complete.  Without the bulbs in the sockets, the circuits are not complete, and therefore can't build up the appropriate amount of resistance to make the flasher blink off, so it just stays on.

Having said that, not having the rear harness plugged in is effectively the same thing.

So - yeah... no blinky. :whistling:

Here's what I think:  When a signal bulb burns out, that side will stay lit solidly because now the circuit can't complete.  Without the bulbs in the sockets, the circuits are not complete, and therefore can't build up the appropriate amount of resistance to make the flasher blink off, so it just stays on.

Having said that, not having the rear harness plugged in is effectively the same thing.

So - yeah... no blinky. :whistling:
+1 have to have bulbs in.

Yep, need enough resistence in the circuit to activate the flasher.

This is actually a common problem people have when they replace all of their bulbs with LED's since LED's draw less current.

I remember having issues in my '97 Ram when I would plug-in a trailer's lights.  The factory flasher would flash erratically because I didn't have a tow package, so I replaced it with a solid-state replacement flasher - never had that problem again.

I know they have some solid-state flashers for our cars as well - I bought some for mine (signal and hazard), but I don't think they resolve the problem of when you have a burnt bulb the circuit won't flash.

if using LEDS to replace the conventional bulbs you need a special flasher unit (called a digital flasher years ago not sure now) above the glove box.

you will also need to replace the hazards flasher up by the fusebox.

some newer generation leds have extra resistance built in to allow the original flashers to work however that defeats the second purpose of an LED to save wattage and load on the system, so you just gain the slightly brighter light from the leds.

-------------

another signal light failure issue is caused by the front lower turn signal buckets on 71-72 cars. the buckets are exposed to weather and the sockets rust out and can cause shorts where the lights no longer work correctly. when you have the rear harness connected and still run into signal light issues try pulling out the front signal bulbs or unplugging the connector for each side to find the problem. that socket will need to be replaced.

Latest posts

Back