Tutone Hood paint question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
146_4653.JPG

I like your hood as opposed to the Ford display. I know it's not "right", but I don't care. I'm not looking at a concours resto in my garage, that's for sure.
The black on the Ford display hood does not come close to the edge like it should and the edges should be more rounded. The freshly panted hood is not mine - I got it some from website (maybe this one). My hood was painted about 20 years ago to as close to original specs as possible. See picture

PS - my daughter is now 15 so that picture is a little dated. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I would agreee but some like myself prefer the gloss look as to the matte/flat.

Like Fastback I didn't want the blackout to be overly flat. On the other hand, I wanted it close to the matte stripes on the side. Don from OMS was good enough to supply me with a reference to that Mustang monthly article so my paint guy used their suggestion of 1:1 paint to flattening agent but then changed it a bit. I don't remember if it was 2:1 or more but I like the result. Not glossy but has a little shine. I think the 1:1 would have been too flat for my taste. Always better to go with what you like.

In Uruguay we have several problems to get a semi-gloss poliurethane paint... When you are going to the catalogue semigloss black and then you spray it, it tends to shine too much (that is what i did in my engine bay... Too shinny for my taste).... But if you use flat mate base,it is way too mate and tends to look grey...

Now i´m about to paint the original stainless wheels for my car (Soon there will be a thread with this complete history that it must be telled :)) and i´m facing what to do with the paint... I may try a new brand for me... Dupont suppose to have a good semi gloss PU paint...

Does anybody know what kind of gloss the argent accented cars had?

Was the argent hood section also semigloss or was it glossy?

Michael

Michael
Hi Michael,

Check the Mustang Monthly website posted earlier by Hyena429. I think they mention the paint code in Sherwin Williams Paint and that it was mixed with flattening agent.

I can only speak to 1972 with certainty. According to the original for literature (1972 Fact Book) the only way you could get the semi-gloss black hood was to option the Mach 1 with the 351-2V Ram Air. The option included the hood locks. That is not to say hundreds of hoods were painted by dealerships and others. It is the same situation with front spoilers, only came from the factory on 1971 Boss 351. Chuck

Michael
semi as it had the flattener too

So the three ppg products from the mega site are mixed with any black of choice? Am I reading this right? SO they are 6:1:1 + black?? Im confused maybe I missed something.....

I am sure you have your info by now but i totally recommend from experience that you paint the black on the hood flat or a matte black. The biggest problem that you have is on a nice bright day the glare comes right back into your face and you cant see a thing. My car i used a recognition book and found the hood paint scheme. Most are like the grey hood in the picture above. I have never seen one except in the book like mine where the hood is mostly black with the scoops painted body color. I painted mine that way just because it is so unique.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Reno, NV.

I think you have your answer but remember most of the pictures of the tutone hood paint is where it tapers off at the front like an arrow pointing to the center of the front bumper. I found mine in a recognition book and have only seen a few where the entire hood is one color and the scoops are body color. (wanted to be different than the rest of the sheep in the field).

What does it mean? Part black with body-color?

Thanks

Im sorry Cody I dont know the paint codes but i am going to warn you with the black on the hood since having it done in gloss. What a frickin mistake they made them flat for a reason if you get in the right sunlight in the morning or evening the sun glares off the hood right into your eyes and you cant see very well at all so make sure you use a black and matte clear over it to make it matte black or flat black if you want. Otherwise you will regret it even though the gloss looks really cool.

Mike

So the three ppg products from the mega site are mixed with any black of choice? Am I reading this right? SO they are 6:1:1 + black?? Im confused maybe I missed something.....
523580_342593789170549_2057949972_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back