Under hood wiring - shock tower braces - convenience group

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 T5 Q-Code 4-Speed
Hi guys, 

there is a wire (harness) which comes from the firewall and goes over the passenger shock tower brace to the starter solenoid, I think. It was from the factory by different engine options - here are some pictures: 

https://mustangattitude.com/mustang/1973/1973_00085_02.jpg[/img]

1973_00041_14.jpg

https://cdn.dealeraccelerate.com/future/1/120/3674/1920x1440/1973-ford-mustang[/img]

What is this harness for? On some pictures you see an additional female plug - is this the connection for the engine compartment light assembly? What is the purpose of the whole harness other than that if I am right? Is it for the convenience group? Is it like that: 

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/m3sAAOSwjVVV3RCd/s-l1600.jpg[/img]

How does it operate? 

I think I had it on my car originally as pictured but it is routed a bit different... 

Thank you very much!

The yellow harness pictured is not from any 71-73 that I've ever seen. The factory harness I'm familiar with is a fairly thick black wire with yellow dots that terminates under the dash in a three position flat yellow connector that accepts bullet connectors.

What's the part number on the purple tag by the brown connector?

It looks like it's for options like automatic seat back release when doors open, plus under hood light and maybe a few other pkg. options. The one pictured doesn't have the pigtail for the hood lite, plus the ones I have is a black wire. So I might be wrong.

I'm going to guess that this is 74 or later...based upon plug type (which I hate to unplug and plug back together!)

I am sorry - the harness pictured above is from an ad I thought it would show the right one. 

But if I read your answers right this harness in general is really the power line for the convenience group accessoires and the hood lamp plugs in there, right? 

Does anybody have an unmolested harness to sell, especially you, Midlife?

I do not have an unmolested one; the ones I have have the hood lamp plug and wire missing. It is still in storage until late this year, though.

I do not have an unmolested one; the ones I have have the hood lamp plug and wire missing.  It is still in storage until late this year, though.
Hmmm... I have the hood lamp harness in complete. If you have one you could get rid of and I can adapt that harness I would be in... Have to dig in my treasures these days to have a look at the harnesses - the one in the car and the one on a box which is somewhere...

In the case of you being tired to have all of these together collecting dust - can you provide a picture and perhaps an idea of the costs which will come in front of me?

I do not have an unmolested one; the ones I have have the hood lamp plug and wire missing.  It is still in storage until late this year, though.
Hmmm... I have the hood lamp harness in complete. If you have one you could get rid of and I can adapt that harness I would be in... Have to dig in my treasures these days to have a look at the harnesses - the one in the car and the one on a box which is somewhere...

In the case of you being tired to have all of these together collecting dust - can you provide a picture and perhaps an idea of the costs which will come in front of me?
Tim, if Randy does not have them I do... but see what Randy has first

Don, 

thanks for chiming in - we will do so  ::thumb::

Don, 

The harness provides constant (non-ignition switched) power. Used on verts to power the roof motor switch to the hydraulic motor. As mentioned previously the automatic seat back release actuators and the hood light (both part of the convenience group option), as well as power windows (the windows use a relay located near the brake booster that is triggered on by the ignition switch in the On and Accessory positions). Finally, on cougars provided power to the seat adjustment motors. It had an inline metal fuse at the solenoid connection.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't show you squat until everything comes back from storage which will be by the end of the year. *Sigh*

Don, 

The harness provides constant (non-ignition switched) power. Used on verts to power the roof motor switch to the hydraulic motor. As mentioned previously the automatic seat back release actuators and the hood light (both part of the convenience group option), as well as power windows (the windows use a relay located near the brake booster that is triggered on by the ignition switch in the On and Accessory positions). Finally, on cougars provided power to the seat adjustment motors. It had an inline metal fuse at the solenoid connection.

Richard, 

thank you very much for that explanation  :goodpost: :thankyouyellow:

Back