Unhappy With Holley Sniper

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, if you take a carbureted engine with a lumpy cam and an LSA of 110º, or less, and convert it to EFI you'll likely lose horsepower as well as driveability and won't be happy with the results. I haven't looked up the specs on an LS, but I'll bet the LSA is around 115º.

I have an Adjust-A-Jet metering plate on my Holley that I bought years ago when I was driving at elevations that were from 100 to 7,500 feet above sea level. I could also lean it out for emissions testing. So, adjusting my Holley for altitude and air pressure changes isn't a problem. I'm still doing an internal debate about whether or not to go with a FiTech. I like the idea of being able to easily tailor timing curves more than fuel adjustments, which the EFI should take care of if properly set up.

The camshaft I am installing in my 408 Cleveland has an LSA of 115º, just in case I go with EFI. It still has healthy intake/exhaust durations. It was spec'd by Brent Lykins.

I agree, if you take a carbureted engine with a lumpy cam and an LSA of 110º, or less, and convert it to EFI you'll likely lose horsepower as well as driveability and won't be happy with the results. I haven't looked up the specs on an LS, but I'll bet the LSA is around 115º.

I have an Adjust-A-Jet metering plate on my Holley that I bought years ago when I was driving at elevations that were from 100 to 7,500 feet above sea level. I could also lean it out for emissions testing. So, adjusting my Holley for altitude and air pressure changes isn't a problem. I'm still doing an internal debate about whether or not to go with a FiTech. I like the idea of being able to easily tailor timing curves more than fuel adjustments, which the EFI should take care of if properly set up.

The camshaft I am installing in my 408 Cleveland has an LSA of 115º, just in case I go with EFI. It still has healthy intake/exhaust durations. It was spec'd by Brent Lykins.
I have a good idle with my termX 4150 stealth

It does have a blower, but I am using the Howard’s baby rattler cam with a pretty good overlap

Seems ok.

Attachments

• IMG_6541.mov
    23.9 MB
This topic seems to rare its head more often now. Is your Sniper setup the first generation? The first gen Snipers had the ECU in front of the body. If you have the OEM distributor with and electronic igniter installed, you will have problems. The electronic igniters create RF interferance that jam the ECU on the Sniper. You may have to repace your distributor with a Holley HyperSpark or Dual Sync distributor. These work very well with Snipers as I have no issues on my 72. A friend of mine had those very issues with the Sniper on his 67 Mustang with 347 stroker. He installed the HyperSpark with great results. I heard that the second gen Snipers positioned the ECU in a more neutral spot so that it would not be jammed by the igniters.

I have the Holley Sniper/ full hyper spark set up and I like it. I’m sorry you’re having issues. It just starts with the turn of the key and runs good. I paid a great deal of attention to installing it exactly the way they wanted it. I hope you can get the set up resolved and working or get your money back.

I have the Holley Sniper/ full hyper spark set up and I like it. I’m sorry you’re having issues. It just starts with the turn of the key and runs good. I paid a great deal of attention to installing it exactly the way they wanted it. I hope you can get the set up resolved and working or get your money back.
Actually I lied it starts with a push of a button 🤪

Back