Upgrading my seats. Opinions wanted.

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, 351CJ, 5 Speed. Currently being restored. Projected finish date is some day.....
flowfit.jpg So, I've been looking to upgrade my seats to something more comfortable and safer than the original seats. I found an outfit that can do a pair of FLO-FIT buckets in blue "Comfortweave" and matching rear seat covers for about 2 grand. I have not had any experience with these seats, but see that they have good reviews.

Has anybody installed then in their 71-73 Mustang? How difficult was it? Are you happy with the end result??

Mister 4x4

Too Big to Sneak
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
TMI (the company that does reproduction upholstery and other interior pieces) makes a kit to transform late-model Mustang seats into exactly what you have pictured... at significantly less than $2000.

Don't get me wrong, that seat you posted looks awesome! I just don't think I'd want to spend that kind of money on seats, is all.

Good luck with it!

cazsper

Reaction score
My Car
1968 Coupe: 393w, TKO-600, Maier Racing springs, Global West suspension, Currie 9in with forged axles, 3.50 gears, Trutrac, Baer brakes front/rear
1973 Mach-1: 351c 4V, C-6, 3.73:1 gears and a long "To Do" list..
I'm not really sure. I was planning some Sparco seats for the future. My seats are horrible. Driver seat is broken. The seat reclines all the time. I have to put a spare car battery on the floor behind the drivers seat with a 2x4 that holds the seat up. Ghetto I know. This is not a long term fix but it works for picking up groceries. If you are getting rid if your seats, I'm interested..

Reaction score
My Car
1973 H Code Convertible

adm22

Reaction score
Wyoming a small town in the People's Republic of I
My Car
1972 convertible with almost half a million miles 351c- T5 transmission for 24 MPG on the Hwy! Still has a few original parts on it- not many!

also have a 1975 Bricklin with less than 20k miles.
You can remove the uplhostery and have the metal seat frmaes welded to fix the lean backs too far bit. I noticed that the seats all tend to crack and had the cracks welded up and a reenforcement put in the seats that I have in my car right now. It was also done to the original ones that I took out and replaced to change the colour (they are sitting around taking up space nwo if you are interested)

I'm not really sure. I was planning some Sparco seats for the future. My seats are horrible. Driver seat is broken. The seat reclines all the time. I have to put a spare car battery on the floor behind the drivers seat with a 2x4 that holds the seat up. Ghetto I know. This is not a long term fix but it works for picking up groceries. If you are getting rid if your seats, I'm interested..

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q code Mach 1
I used TMI upholstery and foam and I am unimpressed. You'll still spend a pretty sizeable amount with the foam and they are not going to turn your seats into modern seats.

I wish I had bought something like the Procar Elite's

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Sports Roof Fastback (early model)
1973 Coupe -Under rebuild/restore
I have wanted to find a decent set of modern mustang seats to install. Most of the time they are worn on the drivers side and want a lot money. Just looked up the Procar seats and they are nice. They even have the adapter for our cars.

http://procarbyscat.com/seat/80-1200-52r

mustang7173

71_resurrection

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
She is named Victoria and sports a 302 with a C4.
I think I am going to go with TMI's Sport R upholstery and foam replacement. Black with black stripes and red stitching, should look nice and they are a great price compared to custom tailored.

wwhite72

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
72 convert 351c
Jeff did you used the original style or the newer sport foam/covers? My original seats are like new but the foam is obviously old and compressed. I have TMI original style foam replacements and was planning to have installed in my original covers. Im hoping that having the springs retied and new burlap and foam would improve the flat unsupportive seats as they are currently.

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Convertible
Born an I-6, spent the teenage, 20 and 30 years as a 302, but at 40 will reach full potential as a 351C.
Add seat heaters, and in Vegas, you will never have a reason to put the top up...except for the occasional rain...or the blazing sun.

Man, I miss those $2 craps tables.

Jared

Reaction score
My Car
Mustang
I used TMI upholstery and foam and I am unimpressed. You'll still spend a pretty sizeable amount with the foam and they are not going to turn your seats into modern seats.

I wish I had bought something like the Procar Elite's
Which foam did you use? A stock replacement foam won't turn your seats into modern seats. The Sport R can give you a modern look..

OLE PONY

VIP Members
Staff member
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Conv.
01 Mustang Bullitt (my son owns now)
04 Oxford White Mach 1
04 Azure Blue Mach 1 (sold)
The 2003 and 2004 Mach 1's have retro seats with comfort weave that are supposed to be a tribute to the early Mach 1's. The drivers seat also has the power seat controls built in on the front of the bottom seat cushion. They also have lumbar supports. The have great bolsters on the seat and back that hold you in on the corners.

You could probably pick some up at a junk yard or sometimes they show up for sale on the mach1registry site.

Here are some pics from our Blue and White 04 Mach 1's:

slobin3d

Reaction score
My Car
1971,2,3 Mustang Project car
I have a set of Corbeau vx2000's with their seat bases' The have recline and the bases slide like stock and fit exactly in the stock location. I picked these because they are made for a taller, wider driver. I'm 6'6" and 265 lbs. Have the side bolsters and coutored seat needed for a snug fit but are comfortable enough for a long cruise and are still easy to get in and out of and have provisions for a 3-4-5 Point harness if desired. and seats with base IIRC was right at $1100~

http://www.corbeau.com/products/reclining_seats/vx2000/

Last edited by a moderator: