Vacuum line?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ehenry77

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Grande 302
Replacing leaf springs and shocks today and I came across this. I'm assuming it's a vacuum line? How serious of an issue is this? Is it a vacuum line?IMG_20240814_160901083~2.jpg

It should definitely be replaced. When you replace it make sure the vent is not plugged where it enters the housing with rust or other debris.
Yeah that is my only concern with its condition. I would assume there is at least a bit of dirt in the line.

If the vent is plugged condensation trapped inside the housing will cause rusting. Also, when the vent is plugged, and the differential warms up while driving, the built-up pressure can force gear lube out through the seals.

Npd sells a kit with new hose and clamp. Almost every old Ford or Mustang needs this replaced , if it hasn't already been. Just to be thorough, unscrew the hose fitting rom the axle and make sure the hole is drilled through. I have one of those fittings that I took of an old Mustang that wasn't drilled all the way through, so that axle never breathed. It's still in my tool box as a reminder.

Back