Want this Tool; Don't need this tool

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach1 4spd Qcode Now: 427C Titus CHI top end TKO600 4whl disc
Those are pretty cool! Haha, I have drawers of tools I have no need for, that I have use twice every 10 years or so. When I managed the dealership Parts and Service departments, the damn Snap-On guy came every Tuesday morning to see the techs and stopped in my office to show me the latest greatest gadget. He knew I was a sucker for the cool stuff, I bought way too much of those flashy gimmicky tools.

I have a lot of one-time or seldom used specialty tools. I figure if labor is $300 for someone else to do the job, and the tool is $150, I buy the tool, I save the other $150, gain the experience, and have an asset in the tool that I can one day re-sell if I never use it again vs. pissing away $300 for soemone else to do it.

Those look pretty cool.

I have a lot of one-time or seldom used specialty tools. I figure if labor is $300 for someone else to do the job, and the tool is $150, I buy the tool, I save the other $150, gain the experience, and have an asset in the tool that I can one day re-sell if I never use it again vs. pissing away $300 for soemone else to do it.

This is how I try to roll too. There are just certain times the correct tool keep a job at 10 minutes instead of 2 hours!

Same here. I use flare wrenches and flare crows feet.
The tools linked look cool, but also look bulky. I could see having some trouble fitting that guy onto the back of a wheel cylinder or caliper due to clearance issues.

I have a similar issue with the fancy set of milwaukee floppy-headed ratcheting wrenches. They are very nice wrenches, but they are bulky. They do not fit in some spots that my other, more humble wrenches fit.

Fellas,
Really, 12 point flare nut wrench set, they will only cause you skinned knuckles and rounded off flare nuts.
Boilermaster

That looks like a dream. I have always wanted ratcheting open wrenches but never seen them before. Size may be an issue though. But how many times you have that tiny space to rotate the wrench where you go once, take the wrench off, flip it, then go a little bit, and repeat 100 times.
Also, depending on the tool quality, the number of ratcheting stops make a big difference.

I wouldn't use them to break a nut free. Just in those tight spots when the nut isn't moving by hand. Of course an open end wrench can do the job, you just have to turn it over a few dozen times. But well all know that 'smart' feeling when you have a situation and you say 'hey, I have the tool for this'.

I totally agree with whoever said "no 12pt wrench is going to break a brake line nut loose."

At least not the line nuts that I work on 99% of my time, the 12pt would just round them off...

Back