want to buy a welder immediately!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, even Auntie May over the road will see the welding sparks and bring the kitchen chair over and ask if you can quickly fix the broken weld. Even if it is braize welded onto cast iron! Please don't let her down! Hehe

I would look on your local criagslist too before you buy a new one..I seen some amazing deals on welders that would cost you a arm and a leg at the store...my freind got a like new gas powered lincoln for 400 bucks...has a v twin motor too...ever sence i kinda keep a eye on my local craigs for them...lol

A 110 welder and a bottle of gas will weld any sheet metal repair you need to do. I bought an eastwood 220 welder and love it. I have had it about year and half with no problems and use it alot. It was around 500 bucks and came with a spool gun to weld aluminum.
Olie, check the Eastwood 220 volt welders too before you decide. They are quality units with a 3 year warranty and less expensive than the name brands.

A 110 welder and a bottle of gas will weld any sheet metal repair you need to do. I bought an eastwood 220 welder and love it. I have had it about year and half with no problems and use it alot. It was around 500 bucks and came with a spool gun to weld aluminum.
Olie, check the Eastwood 220 volt welders too before you decide. They are quality units with a 3 year warranty and less expensive than the name brands.
i've looked into these welders too the only thing keeping me from it is shipping cost. the local stores are selling the welders cheaper online and i can have it now if i bought it locally instead or ordering.

i just want something that will suit all my needs and be there for whatever i need. the realisitic stuff ill need is 3/16 metal welding on most stuff but it'll be nice to be able to weld 1/4 without a heartbeat though.

I would look on your local criagslist too before you buy a new one..I seen some amazing deals on welders that would cost you a arm and a leg at the store...my freind got a like new gas powered lincoln for 400 bucks...has a v twin motor too...ever sence i kinda keep a eye on my local craigs for them...lol

i've been looking and some people are selling the whole welder, cart, gas with bottle, and welding helmet for 800 which i don't think really is a deal when i can get the whole thing plus some tools from summit with my pro shop account for cheaper.

i've been looking at the summit racing 220 welders but i can't find who makes them.

http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welders-175-amp-mig-welder-w-spool-gun.html

this does look attractive but only goes down to 30 amp output but the lincoln does too. the output level max is 175 which ok i guess.

the nice thing about this it comes with a spool gun.

Last edited:
To be honest I like this welder better than my Mig.

http://www.cobratorches.com/7.html

Unlike the mig you can use it for braising and soldering. Comes in VERY handy when you need to build up thin metal thats impossible to replace.

Once you get good you can cut with this puppy AS CLEAN as a plasma cutter. Find some videos on YOUTUBE. you will be amazed at the clean cuts. The tips are 00-3 and you can weld mild steel with very little heat and pin point accuracy.

YOU WILL LOVE THIS WELDER. Trust me on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest I like this welder better than my Mig.

http://www.cobratorches.com/7.html

Unlike the mig you can use it for braising and soldering. Comes in VERY handy when you need to build up thin metal thats impossible to replace.

Once you get good you can cut with this puppy AS CLEAN as a plasma cutter. Find some videos on YOUTUBE. you will be amazed at the clean cuts. The tips are 00-3 and you can weld mild steel with very little heat and pin point accuracy.

YOU WILL LOVE THIS WELDER. Trust me on this one.
i think i like the separate units. however, eastwood is offering a 220 welder and a 220 plasma cutter for 999. all plasma cutters are almost or over 700 dollars so this is a good price. for 999 dollars, not bad to have a 220 welder with spool gun, a plasma cutter. i'm going to purchase this when i get the plug installed.

Another option is to look at rental places. The replace their equipment often

and will sell you a used one for cheap. These places usually keep their equipment in great working order. I bought my {old school} stick welder from a place like that about 10 years ago and it still works great.

P.S. by old school I meant the old ones with the huge handle on the front that you'd turn and you gauged the heat with the moving needle. Mig welding is practical but stick is way more fun .Just not good for car related welding. I also found a really cheap stick tig welder that plugs in on 120 500$ at our local welding supply store. they are called inverters. the big name ones go for a lot more money.

Another option is to look at rental places. The replace their equipment often

and will sell you a used one for cheap. These places usually keep their equipment in great working order. I bought my {old school} stick welder from a place like that about 10 years ago and it still works great.

P.S. by old school I meant the old ones with the huge handle on the front that you'd turn and you gauged the heat with the moving needle. Mig welding is practical but stick is way more fun .Just not good for car related welding. I also found a really cheap stick tig welder that plugs in on 120 500$ at our local welding supply store. they are called inverters. the big name ones go for a lot more money.

i don't know of any companies here that rent out welders!

East wood was offering their tig welder and plasma cutter for 999 also. That was on my list but i had to buy an air compressor because mine died! There went 1100! So im saving up my garage fund again for the tig and plasma cutter. I love my eastwood mig welder. Works great and i weld alot with it without any problems so far. Good luck with your purchase .

The cobra torch does BOTH welding and cutting Watch the video on Youtube. Its pretty nice.

i just got a quote from a local electrican and he quoted me $175 for parts and labor. maybe a forum member whos an electrician can tell me if thats a reasonable fair price to install a plug thats RIGHT BEHIND the circuit board.

i just got a quote from a local electrican and he quoted me $175 for parts and labor. maybe a forum member whos an electrician can tell me if thats a reasonable fair price to install a plug thats RIGHT BEHIND the circuit board.

I'm not an electrician but if it were me I would install it myself. I would use the other 220 as a guide as to how they hook up to the box and at the plug. Just throw the main before hooking it up so as no possibility of hitting anything live. But that”s just me & what I would do. Lowes and the Home Depot sell eveything you need.

i just got a quote from a local electrician and he quoted me $175 for parts and labor. maybe a forum member who's an electrician can tell me if that's a reasonable fair price to install a plug that's RIGHT BEHIND the circuit board.
If you consider that TECHNICALLY you should have a new self installed outlet inspected (and will have to pay for the inspection), plus the cost of buying a new 220v breaker (or fuse), wire, outlet box and outlet, panel clamps and wire staples plus your time to properly drill and outfit the wire with conduit to meet code (if for some reason something were to ever happen with a self installation that wasn't inspected and your outlet were to be found at fault you'd be SOL as far as collecting insurance) then $175 is a pretty cheap investment.

I've done wiring myself (including wiring up the garage I built myself...) and it's not rocket science. Just make sure you follow all local laws and codes. If you're going to tackle it yourself make damn sure you have your main turned off.

Back