Weak Spark, All New Components

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From your description it sounds like it is a later model designed for emission controlled engines.
Should i throw in some bigger jets?

Update, now it present even fire anymore and all of the spark plugs are fine, I'm going to try a new could and see what that does, when the distributor makes a tiny spark while the car cranks so I know it's not that and I know that the rotor is making contact woth the cap

Update, now it present even fire anymore and all of the spark plugs are fine, I'm going to try a new could and see what that does, when the distributor makes a tiny spark while the car cranks so I know it's not that and I know that the rotor is making contact woth the cap
 I'm having trouble reading what you are writing. Sorry to be critical, but if I/we can't understand what you're saying, it's hard for anyone to give you good information.

You have a new distributor. What did you put in the 351C? I'm far from being an expert, but to me I'm thinking that something is fundamentally wrong with the distributor or coil set up. Does your coil match your new dizzy? Do you have the correct voltage to the coil and is the pos wire on the correct side with the wire from the dist. going to the neg side of the coil? What plugs and plug wires do you have. Cheapo wires can cause a ton of issues, I made that mistake!! Compression, valves, too much oil etc. etc. has little or nothing to do with sparks. I could be wrong, I'm hopeless at electrical problem solving, but that's what I'd be looking at. Get a nice fat spark, then go from there.

Good luck, it's frustrating as hell I know............... believe me I know!!

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I kinda feel like this thing has veered on and off course like a drunk on the 18th fairway. Studdley can you describe exactly what is going on now, what you are absolutely certain of as far as whats been 100% correctly done or replaced? Troubleshooting is an a to b to c kinda thing and the post is reading like alksdjaslkdnjaschhjsdndnmgv;sdjfoah

I kinda feel like this thing has veered on and off course like a drunk on the 18th fairway. Studdley can you describe exactly what is going on now, what you are absolutely certain of as far as whats been 100% correctly done or replaced? Troubleshooting is an a to b to c kinda thing and the post is reading like alksdjaslkdnjaschhjsdndnmgv;sdjfoah
Good spark, accelerator pump is working, good compression, timing seemed right(had mechanic do it), timing chain is practically new

ok so, engine turns over freely? Timing is set, spark is good and the engine still wont fire? Anything else?

Basic engine philosophy, suck, bang, blow.

SUCK and BLOW Start back again, check compression on all 8 cylinders, on intake and exhaust strokes, write them down and make sure they don't vary too much

BANG if spark is good its good at the where, distributor, end of the plug cable, end of the plug, Fuel, is it getting fuel, will it turn over on its own with starting fluid. No guesses, gotta see it and know for sure.

ok so, engine turns over freely? Timing is set, spark is good and the engine still won't fire? Anything else?

Basic engine philosophy, suck, bang, blow.

SUCK and BLOW Start back again, check compression on all 8 cylinders, on intake and exhaust strokes, write them down and make sure they don't vary too much

BANG if spark is good its good at the where, distributor, end of the plug cable, end of the plug, Fuel, is it getting fuel, will it turn over on its own with starting fluid. No guesses, gotta see it and know for sure.
I think the carb is shot because the accelerator pump lever wont budge

by accelerator pump level do you mean the spring arm on the carb that is connected to the throttle cable? and if it doesn't move yes that's a problem. If its stuck there could also be other issues, a good carb rebuild guy can do them pretty cheap.

by accelerator pump level do you mean the spring arm on the carb that is connected to the throttle cable? and if it doesn't move yes that's a problem. If its stuck there could also be other issues, a good carb rebuild guy can do them pretty cheap.
I can rip into it and see what's up, forgot to mention that I have a fully functioning 4 barrel and the ap is jammed on the 2 barrel, is a 2v engine

?? Are you saying you slapped a 4bbl carb on a 2v manifold? Also it was asked several times if you were getting gas and the answer was yes. Now you’re not? I’m confused as hell.

??  Are you saying you slapped a 4bbl carb on a 2v manifold? Also it was asked several times if you were getting gas and the answer was yes. Now you’re not? I’m confused as hell.
Offenhauser aluminum 4 barrel intake, i slapped an adapter on the intake for a 2 barrel carb, do I have to run with a lifter valley pan?

If you have a 4bbl manifold and a functioning 4bbl carb put it on. Not reason to run a 2bbl carb and adapter. valley pan is not necessary.
It ran off of the 2 barrel until i tore it down so i was just trying to eliminate variables

Back