Weld through primer on Cowl Repair

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren 72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
Hey Guys,

Can anyone tell me how to use the weld through primer correctly. Once the lower cowl is repaired and sealed, does the weld through primer get sprayed over the sealant or should I tape off the areas and keep the seems bare metal and use the weld through primer. The pics I've seen shows the lower cowl completely sealed before welding begins.

Also is there anything used to seal the to halves together of the cowl before welding? I will be re-welding the spot weld areas and am not sure if the two halves (upper and lower cowl) are sealed first. It would seem like the sealant would get cooked off with the heat. Not sure how to complete the project properly.

Thanks

Hey Guys,

Can anyone tell me how to use the weld through primer correctly. Once the lower cowl is repaired and sealed, does the weld through primer get sprayed over the sealant or should I tape off the areas and keep the seems bare metal and use the weld through primer. The pics I've seen shows the lower cowl completely sealed before welding begins.

Also is there anything used to seal the to halves together of the cowl before welding? I will be re-welding the spot weld areas and am not sure if the two halves (upper and lower cowl) are sealed first. It would seem like the sealant would get cooked off with the heat. Not sure how to complete the project properly.

Thanks
Darren..The weld thru primer is used when joining 2 pieces together..Think of a sandwich..the meat is the weld thru primer & the bread the 2 pieces of metal..You can seal the 2 pieces first BEFORE asembley which is the prefered method but where ever a weld will be, needs to be ground to bare metal then weld thru primer spotted in where you ground. Are we talking sealent for the top hat to lower cowl ? If so you need this http://www.fascoepoxies.com/products.html it's called FLEXO #12 You will have to call & order direct If we are talking the top cowl to lower cowl you can use the same product at the joint from the INSIDE just use a popsicle stick of your finger wetted with wax & grease remover to get a nice bead or fillet..You can do this after you prime & weld but where ever you use it, It needs to scratched up first then cleaned with wax & grease remover FIRST..you can then spot prime the flexo after it cures..I recomend epoxy primer for all your base / metal work repaired areas..Watch my videos..www.saturdaymorninggarage.com

Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Guys,

Thanks
Darren..The weld thru primer is used when joining 2 pieces together..Think of a sandwich..the meat is the weld thru primer & the bread the 2 pieces of metal..You can seal the 2 pieces first BEFORE asembley which is the prefered method but where ever a weld will be, needs to be ground to bare metal then weld thru primer spotted in where you ground. Are we talking sealent for the top hat to lower cowl ? If so you need this http://www.fascoepoxies.com/products.html it's called FLEXO #12 You will have to call & order direct If we are talking the top cowl to lower cowl you can use the same product at the joint from the INSIDE just use a popsicle stick of your finger wetted with wax & grease remover to get a nice bead or fillet..You can do this after you prime & weld but where ever you use it, It needs to scratched up first then cleaned with wax & grease remover FIRST..you can then spot prime the flexo after it cures..I recomend epoxy primer for all your base / metal work repaired areas..Watch my videos..www.saturdaymorninggarage.com

Scott
Scott, thanks for the help.

I looked at Flex#12 and it is a superior caulking material it states. Can you use it to seal like glue all the edges of the upper and lower cowl. Put back cowl and clamp it down to set the flex#12? If so won't the weld burn the caulking. This is the part I'm not understanding. I basically don't want the spot weld areas around the lip to leak during heavy water periods which would be infrequent.

Can you actually get a tight seal utilizing the popsicle stick application method?

What do you think about POR-15 as a base sealant? Alot of guys I speak with swear by it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Guys,

Thanks

Scott

I looked at Flex#12 and it is a superior caulking material it states. Can you use it to seal like glue all the edges of the upper and lower cowl. Put back cowl and clamp it down to set the flex#12? If so won't the weld burn the caulking. This is the part I'm not understanding. I basically don't want the spot weld areas around the lip to leak during heavy water periods which would be infrequent.

Can you actually get a tight seal utilizing the popsicle stick application method?

What do you think about POR-15 as a base sealant? Alot of guys I speak with swear by it.
Darren,

So we are talking putting the top cowl back on to the lower cowl..No you can't glue it together it's a structural piece of the car..Forget por-15 Use the rust bullet I've been talking about..Rust bullet is the only rust product with a patent..Here's the procedure..Remove rust etc from top & lower cowl pieces...clean with water based wax & grease remover...or you can use metal blast by rust bullet...apply rust bullet to top & lower cowl pieces as per instructions...fit top cowl to lower & MARK where the spot welds will be..remove top cowl...grind (remove rust bullet ) where spot welds are to go...spray weld thru on those spots...attach top cowl & weld..MAKE SURE YOU WEAR A RESPIRATOR WHEN YOU WELD !!!!!!! & KEEP A AIR BLOWER HANDY THE RUST BULLET CAN CATCH ON FIRE !!!!...after you finish grinding your welds etc clean..vacum inside the cowl..THEN appy a bead of the flexo INSIDE the cowl joint.

Scott

Scott

Darren,

So we are talking putting the top cowl back on to the lower cowl..No you can't glue it together it's a structural piece of the car..Forget por-15 Use the rust bullet I've been talking about..Rust bullet is the only rust product with a patent..Here's the procedure..Remove rust etc from top & lower cowl pieces...clean with water based wax & grease remover...or you can use metal blast by rust bullet...apply rust bullet to top & lower cowl pieces as per instructions...fit top cowl to lower & MARK where the spot welds will be..remove top cowl...grind (remove rust bullet ) where spot welds are to go...spray weld thru on those spots...attach top cowl & weld..MAKE SURE YOU WEAR A RESPIRATOR WHEN YOU WELD !!!!!!! & KEEP A AIR BLOWER HANDY THE RUST BULLET CAN CATCH ON FIRE !!!!...after you finish grinding your welds etc clean..vacum inside the cowl..THEN appy a bead of the flexo INSIDE the cowl joint.

Scott
Got it...Thanks Scott

Back