What are your guys thoughts on the new convex sport mirror assy

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys, have you NOT seen my post on how I designed and ENLARGED the right side mirror to CONVEX!! I did the same basic thing to the drivers one, but flat of course.

I submitted sketches with dimensions and a detailed account of how to make it. My mirror is a full 1/2" wider and a bit taller than the factory one or that stupidly small SD POS. A person may need to buy an repop base if the one on the car is too worn, but there's a way to fix that too.

How I came up with this? I wasted my money on a SD version, only to realize it was no where near going to give me full view of a far right lane when on a freeway when in the center lane at 70 mph.

Top pic is convex mirror installed, but I was looking at dimension variability in this shot.

#2 is the back on the backer plate.

Need more info, please ask or pm me. I'm not looking for cudo's, just offering a solution.

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I repaired mine myself. Somewhere on the internet, there was a how-to on fixing the limp mirror deal. It requires breaking ( yes, breaking, it's o.k. ) the old glass away from the backing to access the swivel mechanism and three small rivet type posts are ground flat to remove the ball retainer, which is then tapped flatter to re-new the tension on the pivot ball. Three small screws replace the peened over posts to hold the ball tension plate on That whole process took less than an hour, and then my local glass shop made a new mirror glass to shape , ground beveled edges and all, and glued it in place for cheap. It was painless to do and it's been perfect for the last 4 years so far. I'm so glad I found that tutorial on line.

I repaired  mine myself. Somewhere on the internet, there was a how-to on fixing the limp mirror deal. It requires breaking ( yes, breaking, it's o.k. ) the old glass away from the backing to access the swivel mechanism  and three small rivet type posts are ground flat to remove the ball retainer, which is then tapped flatter to re-new the tension on the pivot ball. Three small screws replace the peened over posts to hold the ball tension plate on That whole process took less than an hour, and then my local glass shop made a new mirror glass to shape , ground beveled edges and all, and glued it in place for cheap. It was painless to do and it's been perfect for the last 4 years so far. I'm so glad I found that tutorial on line.
I did similar long ago. There were few threads on this, and strangely not many were able to find a glass shop able or even wanting to cut the glass, do the edge etc...

If you are on US soil, 75 for everything sounds pretty fair to me.

Was that tutorial on West Coast Classic Cougar?
 I believe so. I took at look at that as well.

I fixed my limp mirror (I said limp mirror!) with a dob of good 'ol Goop. Even cheaper, but took 24 hrs to cure. It can be seen in my pic of base in prev. post. Actually, this was just intended as a quick fix for now, but it's held up for 2 years now, so if it ain't broke, don't fix it.... again.

In comparison, my conversion cost me about 60 bucks Can. Had to buy an expensive replacement mirror and then get it cut. Still a good deal for me though.

Geoff.

ya i watched the west coast classic video also. and ordered the lens. i didn't want to destroy the old mirror in case it didn't work the way i liked.

i cleaned both and RTV to old mirror. made a very nice difference and exact fit to old lens.

Back