what can I do to make the dash lights brighter?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stangace20

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 351C Gold Glow
1991 LX 5.0 Hatchback
While the ones we've got in are right for the year and they do work.....they are still incredibly dull to the point that I can barely see most the speedo or odometer (or the sport guages for that matter). And basically because of that I HATE driving it at night and really try to avoid it whenever possible...which of course sux.

So I was curious if anyone else has had the same problem or at least knows what are my options to make them bright enough to at least see how fast I'm going (cause I need that one to be visible if nothing else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check that your cluster has a good ground.

Have you installed headlight relays yet? If not, do. They will increase the power available to the other lights as well as the headlights.

Another thing to do is check the blue diffuser globes on the dash lights. They are great dust collectors and also discolor from heat over time.

Clean the rheostat (dimmer) coil on the light switch. Use electrical contact cleaner - don't rub it as it is very fragile.

I know some people have switched to LED bulbs and white face gauges. I don't have either so cannot say if they will help in your case.

Last edited by a moderator:
I replaced my lights with LEDs but did not remove the diffusers, big mistake.

They are blue molded plastic and need to be cut out.

mike
I made the same mistake first time. The instructions in the LED kit I bought said leaving the diffusers in was an option, but it made a big difference when I pulled them out altogether second time around.

I pt green LEDs in my car. First did iot to my other car since it had no diffusers in it and the gagues were in whiteish yellow (I used green LEDs). Did the same in the Mustang but put a blue one in for the brights and a red for the brake. Looks a lot better- they have them with a different numnber of LEDs in them the more LEDs the brighter they get I used 3s I think they went up to 5s.

One thing about them there is no brightness control they are either on or off.

I pt green LEDs in my car. First did iot to my other car since it had no diffusers in it and the gagues were in whiteish yellow (I used green LEDs). Did the same in the Mustang but put a blue one in for the brights and a red for the brake. Looks a lot better- they have them with a different numnber of LEDs in them the more LEDs the brighter they get I used 3s I think they went up to 5s.

One thing about them there is no brightness control they are either on or off.
There is no brightness comtrol for the LEDs and they are polarity

sensitive. Need to be plugged in the right direction.

mike

The LED's I put in do dim, and are not polarity sensitive.

IMG_16131.jpg

IMG_16121.jpg

IMG_16171.jpg

Back