What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice roundabout and good to see others know who has right of way. Here, Canadians find them "highly confusing". Why I don't know, they're the best things ever invented for roads. Coming from the UK I might be slightly biased.
That is the design of a roundabout that I once wished was the design of particular roundabout I encountered.

Outbound from London, middle of the night, fog, I miscounted roundabouts. Ran straight into a solid wall about three feet high.

I was driving a 36 English Ford street rod. It was full fendered but I had bobbed the fenders, so there was no sheet metal damage.

Got it off the highway. Public transportation ran all night, got back to base. The next weekend, a buddy, and his VW bug, hauled me and a front axle assembly, back to the car. Swapped the axle and drove home.

That was 1960. Think the car would have still been there a week later today?

Oh, a week later a big truck did the same thing, same place. That wall was not as solid after that.

I did another roundabout trick in England, at night, in fog. I pulled into the roundabout and counted exits. I had never been at that spot before. And that one was very rare. One exit was a divided highway. I drove several miles in the wrong lanes.

Last edited:
That is the design of a roundabout that I once wished was the design of particular roundabout I encountered.

Outbound from London, middle of the night, fog, I miscounted roundabouts. Ran straight into a solid wall about three feet high.

I was driving a 36 English Ford street rod. It was full fendered but I had bobbed the fenders, so there was no sheet metal damage.

Got it off the highway. Public transportation ran all night, got back to base. The next weekend, a buddy, and his VW bug, hauled me and a front axle assembly, back to the car. Swapped the axle and drove home.

That was 1960. Think the car would have still been there a week later today?

Oh, a week later a big truck did the same thing, same place. That wall was not as solid after that.

I did another roundabout trick in England, at night, in fog. I pulled into the roundabout and counted exits. I had never been at that spot before. And that one was very rare. One exit was a divided highway. I drove several miles in the wrong lanes.
Oh that's funny, but a good story to tell. I've seem many times where trucks and cars have gone straight over the top, or as in your case, hit a wall. So, you got introduced to good ol' English FOG eh! What they call "fog" here is nothing more than a thick mist. Still nasty and dangerous though.
Lots has changed over there since you were there. Last year when I was over, I didn't rent a car and really didn't miss not driving. The traffic is many times more then when I lived there 50 years ago and some "roundabouts" if you can call them that now, are MASSIVE!
What part of England were you stationed at? I lived in the Cambridge area, lot's of USAF base around there.

What part of England were you stationed at? I lived in the Cambridge area, lot's of USAF base around there.
RAF Weathersfield. Nine miles and sixty five curves from Braintree, Essex. 1958-61. Could walk London, midnight, alone. Can you do that now?

RAF Weathersfield. Nine miles and sixty five curves from Braintree, Essex. 1958-61. Could walk London, midnight, alone. Can you do that now?
Ah, so not too far from my area. You could do a lot of things back in those days you can't do now. Oh have the times changed............. and not for the better.

Got the heater box in today. The evaporator was bad along with the heater core, all the seals but one were ok, and I was able to make a replacement. Still have to reattach the vacuum lines but I didn't take any pictures before hand so I'll have to resort to my shop manuals. Glad that job is done. I don't enjoy wallowing around in the floorboard.

What an exciting day! Finally got the old Drum style calipers in, they have been holding me up for a couple weeks. Finally able to tie in the Global West upper and lower control arms, old struts and the new 1-1/8" sway bar. Just waiting on the new drum rotors and I can install the Mustang Steve big brake package I bought a year and a half ago.

Attachments

• IMG_1809.jpeg
    IMG_1809.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1808.jpeg
    IMG_1808.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Took the mustang in a month ago to get the transmission checked it wasn’t down shifting automatically had to manually down shift. They called and said there were pieces broke and the clutches were burnt. After the rebuild they took it for a drive and it still didn’t shift right so they pulled the pan and found lots of metal shavings so now they had to order a torque converter and go completely back through it. I should be getting it back this week. Then I plan on installing a gear vendor and putting the 389 gears back in and taking the 325s out
Finally got the transmission done and installed a kick down cable. Now it shifts as it should. Now to order the gear vendor and get it put in. Has anyone put one on. Just curious of the tunnel room?

I pulled the factory AM/8-track so I can send it in for restoration. In the interim, I installed a factory AM/FM so I have something to listen to, and to fill the space in the dash. The FM sounds so nice I may have to get the AM/8-track modded with FM and Bluetooth.

Lessee...

Weds evening we drove up to the in-law's house to pick up the Cougar from it's winter storage. Cranked over a couple times to get fuel to the carb and she lit right off. Drove 65 miles home all highway. Tach is inop as I have the HEI wired direct diagnosing a surge. Pretty sure it's a problem with the fuel level in the AVS2 carb.

1713188056951.png

Sunday I tore into the broken toploader to replace the input shaft. I opted for the upgraded 1 1/8" x 26 spline input that David Kee and others offer. This is the same as a "fine spline" Muncie, and uses the same bearing support (and clutch fork). The 11" disc application is a 71 454 Nova. The root diameter of a 10 spline 1 1/16" toploader input is 3/4", the new input is a full 1". I also "downgraded" to a full organic clutch vs the hybrid organic/ceramic I was running. I'll take "slip" over "snap". IMO the ceramic disc coupled with a Long centrifugal assist pressure plate is just too violent for this application. The ceramic hybrid would be better suited to a tow rig.

1713189013318.png

The old ceramic on the way out

1713189028953.png

1713189417131.png

Lessee...

Weds evening we drove up to the in-law's house to pick up the Cougar from it's winter storage. Cranked over a couple times to get fuel to the carb and she lit right off. Drove 65 miles home all highway. Tach is inop as I have the HEI wired direct diagnosing a surge. Pretty sure it's a problem with the fuel level in the AVS2 carb.

View attachment 87838

Sunday I tore into the broken toploader to replace the input shaft. I opted for the upgraded 1 1/8" x 26 spline input that David Kee and others offer. This is the same as a "fine spline" Muncie, and uses the same bearing support (and clutch fork). The 11" disc application is a 71 454 Nova. The root diameter of a 10 spline 1 1/16" toploader input is 3/4", the new input is a full 1". I also "downgraded" to a full organic clutch vs the hybrid organic/ceramic I was running. I'll take "slip" over "snap". IMO the ceramic disc coupled with a Long centrifugal assist pressure plate is just too violent for this application. The ceramic hybrid would be better suited to a tow rig.

View attachment 87840

The old ceramic on the way out

View attachment 87841

View attachment 87842
Remember to replace/inspect your crank pilot bearing.

Remember to replace/inspect your crank pilot bearing.

Yep, that's going to be replaced, along with the throwout bearing and input bearing. Going to need some surgery on the old input to remove the bearing retainer, so I pulled a good used one from the parts bin.

Finished the repairs to the toploader last night. Tonight I'll replace the pilot bearing and get the clutch, PP and bellhousing bolted back up. While I have the exhaust off I'm setting up the O2 sensor bungs and routing wires for the LM2 unit.

1713278973772.png

Last edited:
Added the "Mustang Steve" brackets today. I was a little bummed out when I realized the '73 bearing races don't fit in the 64-69 hubs. I was looking all over for '73 hubs to go with my '73 spindles but couldn't find them. Then I noticed that 'Street or Track' had the '64-'69 listed as '64-'73. There was a note on a forum that said the hubs were interchangeable. I should have kept reading because it also says you need to take the races from the '69 bearing and use it, instead of 73 race. I will verify tomorrow if I can find the '69 bearings in town.

Attachments

• IMG_1823.jpeg
    IMG_1823.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1822.jpeg
    IMG_1822.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Added the "Mustang Steve" brackets today. I was a little bummed out when I realized the '73 bearing races don't fit in the 64-69 hubs. I was looking all over for '73 hubs to go with my '73 spindles but couldn't find them. Then I noticed that 'Street or Track' had the '64-'69 listed as '64-'73. There was a note on a forum that said the hubs were interchangeable. I should have kept reading because it also says you need to take the races from the '69 bearing and use it, instead of 73 race. I will verify tomorrow if I can find the '69 bearings in town.
That's good to know. What's your assessment of the Mustang Steve kit?

That's good to know. What's your assessment of the Mustang Steve kit?
Bolting it up is all I have done so far. I have to get new rims before I can put wheels on the car because original wheels won’t fit on a big brake.
In order to get new rims I need to throw the engine back and get some weight on the new front suspension to see the wheel travel. The Global West arms move the wheel back in the wheel well so I may gain a little backspace which would help in selecting new rims.
But as far as the Mustang Steve brackets, they are very good quality. The bolt holes are very tight and I actually had to use a rubber mallet to drive in one of the bolts but it all matches up perfectly. He is a great resource for setting these up and what parts need to be modified like the brake line and master cylinder and rear brake proportion depending on your original equipment.

Last edited:
Back