What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK - today was a mixed bag. I took a couple of pictures of the reassembled tilt mechanism - they're too blurry to use. Yay.

Then I started putting it all back together and realized that I needed to remove the key cylinder in order to get the locking mechanism back in and aligned... then the key cylinder fell apart in my hands (literally - tumblers and everything just freaken fell out). WTF?!

After being mad about it for about a half hour (because I was so close to it being done), I decided to just press on and figure out the key cylinder thing next week after the box from OMS shows up with the new one. So, I slide in the locking mechanism, use the core of the key cylinder to line it all up, then put it all back together in short order. While I was at this point, I decided to paint the part of the tilt housing that was hidden by the column tube. Once the paint was dry (good ol' glossy engine enamel), I slid the column tube over the column and lined up the holes for the allen-bolt fasteners. Put the signal stalk in it works like a champ.

163521_588652724478983_740569431_n.jpg

Here's the picture after the key cylinder just gave up. First, the little retainer pin falls out (the one you push to change the cylinder out), then the whole thing just comes apart in my hand... so I pretty much dumped it out on the dyno and went looking for one of the tumblers that took off. Found it, but I'll be damned if I know how it goes back together. Notice the mangled spring in the middle as well. Weird.

625430_588652727812316_2082462702_n.jpg

And yes - I'm using a Mustang Dyno as a workbench. :cool:

Today was another productive day on the CJ. Got the brake lines flushed (nasty) and the drum mechanisms entirely rebuilt. Bled the rears out and will move to the discs up front next session.

Discovered during one of our "Cmon, start it. Just wanna hear it run." sessions that the alternator decided to start charging again and the AC-Heat blower works. All speeds.

@Mister 4x4; I had that exact same thing happen to me in the 65 coupe I used to have. Only thing different was the fact I was 3 cars back from the burnout pit in the lanes :eek: . Went to start the car and the whole cylinder just fell apart, I yanked the wires off and held them with a pair of vise grips and when I was ready to go, i ran the start wire over the vise grips and away I went...ahh the things we did at 18 years old.

nothing, but a guy in my club who moved to AZ was at a show at sanderson ford in glendale,AZ and sent me a pic of a car he found that looks a lot like mine....though it seems more yellow in color than mine (at least compared to the pic in my sig)

734486_10151303132765755_1275270241_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
discovered a small leak from the lower radiator hose, so that needs replacing , after that i found out that the hydraulic clutch is leaking, so the transmission needs to come off..

fixed a small pin-sized hole in the casting of the front left wheel. We had been having a problem for a while w/ it very slowly losing air over weeks when it sat. And though we took it to evans tire (where we had the wheels originally put on after the resto) they completely missed it (apparently) It was only today when we took it to discount tire that they found it (not sure why evan's missed if discount found it...past just being lazy)

so a quick tig weld and that is that problem finally fixed

I tried the blackout on the hood to see if I liked it. I did it with Plasti-Dip, so I can pull it off again.

I gotta admit that I am not sure if I like it or not. The hood scoop seems to vanish and the hood looks kinda weird.

I'll see if I get used to it over the next few days.

What do you guys think?

image.jpg

IMG_20130402_132423.jpgInterior is finally coming together, headliner is not perfect but looks OK. Waiting for the new dome light to finish it off. Put green LEDs in the sail panels tied into dome lamp switch for an added touch. New dash and white gauges installed, also back seat reupholstered, and new carpet. I am getting excited its really coming out nice.View attachment 14777]20130401_124206.jpg

20130401_131026.jpg

IMG_20130404_164916.jpg

Drove it for the first time this year with the top down, lot later than ussual. Last year I mowed the lawn twice by the first week of April!

Bad thing- cruise control installed last December was not working magnet had slide a bit and adjusted it a bit closer. Did it too close and wound up knocking it and the sensor off the car. Comapny that made it is o longer with us.

I tried the blackout on the hood to see if I liked it. I did it with Plasti-Dip, so I can pull it off again.

I gotta admit that I am not sure if I like it or not. The hood scoop seems to vanish and the hood looks kinda weird.

What do you guys think?
I really like it Mike, the only thing I would suggest is to round off the front corners of the stripe to match the back. If that makes sense.

Actually started installing the brake, gas and vapor lines today while tinkering back and forth on the rear end axle seals and brake lines. Good to be back in the garage again.

What do you guys think?
I liked it better before. It's hard to improve perfection.

Got the headliner in, only took me about 4 hours or so. Now I just need to figure out how to mount the sail panels. Also cleaned up the running light lenses so I can reinstall them tomorrow.

2lwnd6c.jpg

i2962x.jpg

It's hard to improve perfection.
That is just cool! Thanks!

I actually drove it to work today too. The temperatures are still below 50F but at least it was nice and sunny. I just had to grab the opportunity.

20130407_112906.jpg20130407_113552.jpg20130407_113323.jpgfront seats are done

After attempting to run the brake and fuel lines one handed I realized the car is not worth risking another surgery. (some things you just need 2 hands) :s So I moved to plan B and did those things that can be done 1 handed. :D

DSCN2451.JPGDSCN2450.JPGDSCN2449.JPGDSCN2448.JPG

Back