What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The upholstery looks good, Ron. Did you do it yourself?
Yeah got the deluxe set from CJs and my wife and I installed them. Not to difficult really and cost around $400 with hog ring tool and hog rings.

I didn't take any pictures, but I replaced my wheel cylinders and bleed the brakes. Great now I can actually drive my car! Well so I thought, I resealed my valve cover gaskets and now that they weren't leaking..now I can drive my car!

finally I was all excited to have my brakes working and could drive the car further than the could sac. So I pull on out and drive away with my big ole smile on my noggin. Take a few turns down some side streets when screeeec...from somewhere in the front of the car..so I limp it back home praying its nothing serious, I notices my brakes were funky again too. I park it in the driveway and take a good visual inspection. Nothing really out of place so I hop back in to take it down the driveway once more, this time all was quiet again so my stupid side kicked in an just mashed the pedal and weeeeeee all was happy again, until the screeeeching noise cane back. So I decided to call it quits and take her back to her parking spot. After backing her in I left her running to check those valve covers and I was so happy not to see a BBQ going on the right bank. I was thinking about this noise when I thought, hell it could be those 20+ year old belts and they are really loose and dry rotted. So I'm chucking it up to the belts right now because I was able to replicate the noise by revving her up a few times and the upper rpms it started to squeak. My master cylinder is leaking from just about everywhere so that's due to be replaced and rebleed the system again.

my alt light has been on and some weird lighting problem I have been happening is due to the voltage regulator, at first I check the voltage engine idle was 18v (wow not good) I cleaned up the connector and prongs and was able to get it down to 16v, so I'm ordering one of those soon. Overall I had a blast enjoying the sunny and 70 Virginia weather today and I'm on step further up the never ending latter of restoration.

Parts are on order for overdrive transmission, should be done over the summer. My camara batteries are charged for updates. Details to follow:)

Repainted the rear housing and started on the A/C box. Now I know why Don said wait to sweep the garage out until after I was through. Loctite works great on the seals. Got it about half done and took the fan blower apart to glass bead tomorrow after therapy.

DSCN2455.JPGDSCN2454.JPGDSCN2456.JPGDSCN2452.JPG

Started the car for first time since the Sandy storm. Put in a new MTP-24F and only took turning the key 3 times. Just in time for the weather; was 45 yesterday, might hit 79 tomorrow. Nice

Started the car for first time since the Sandy storm. Put in a new MTP-24F and only took turning the key 3 times. Just in time for the weather; was 45 yesterday, might hit 79 tomorrow. Nice
That's great it started with only 3 try's. It hit an unusual 81 here in Northern Virginia today, but is supposed to cool back down into the 50's by the weekend.

Yeah when I got home my ac was not working and it was 81 in my house. Resetting the breakers got her up and going but that's VA for ya . Monday 48 Tuesday 81 Wednesday 37 and snow. I'm hoping to do some more repairs tomorrow.

I tried the blackout on the hood to see if I liked it. I did it with Plasti-Dip, so I can pull it off again.

I gotta admit that I am not sure if I like it or not. The hood scoop seems to vanish and the hood looks kinda weird.

I'll see if I get used to it over the next few days.

What do you guys think?
I like it. It looks cool!

Finished the A/C box and then glass beaded the blower fan (nasty). Took the advice from Don at OMS and put a coulpe droms of strait 40 weight on the shaft at the sealed bearing. He naturally was right. Really have to appriciate vendors like OMS and Midlife who are willing to just share their knowledge.

After about 40 years of wear that thing started just humming when that oil hit it. Installed the fan and ran it again via my charger on the 2A setting. Turned out great! Anyboby know proper distance of fan from backing plate? I have 2 set screw marks on the shaft 1/4 in apart.

DSCN2459.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a couple things were done today.. Removed the front seats and the interior carpet. Started fighting with the lil spring that sits to the left of the headlight housing. I was installing some blue colored headlights. Thats about it.

just washed it, there's a show this weekend and since I had the time I thought I'd wash it and then wax/detail it the day before the show

Blasted and painted a set of backing plates and rear drums I got from Jeff73Mach1 who converted to rear disc. Thanks Jeff they're turning out great and will live on. :)

DSCN2463.JPGDSCN2464.JPG

Finished the backing plates and rebuilt the wheel cylinders. Question. Isn't the brake pad width measured to the inside lip of the drum? Old shoes were 2 inch but drum measures 2-1/2 inches.

Finished the backing plates and rebuilt the wheel cylinders. Question. Isn't the brake pad width measured to the inside lip of the drum? Old shoes were 2 inch but drum measures 2-1/2 inches.
Im not 100% sure but i thought there were 2 different size brake shoes for the rear. Dont quote me on that but i thought i remembered that from somewhere??

PITA:noun, That task where on one side you grind and PB Blaster the 8-32 capscrew that you broke off in the headlight assembly removing the grill (naturally next to the welded plate where the vise grips can only turn the other side 1/10 of a revolution). :mad:

Determined. adj, Makes you say things that your thankful small children are all in school so they didn't pick up on bad words. Describes spending 2 hours heating and turning an 8-32 capscrew 4 full revolutions without snapping it off because it demanded to be heated about every 4th 1/10 of a revolution and you really don't want the grill loose. :dodgy: 1 down. 2 to go!

DSCN2465.JPGDSCN2466.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Took today off (practicing for DoD civilian furlough - without the pay cut rofl ) and worked on the dashboard wiring. I got the rest of the ducting in for the Classic Auto Air system (well... mostly. I haven't actually installed the 'vent-sides' yet). Also ran the HVAC wiring and zip-tied the excess to be a little cleaner in there (each of the component wiring 'harnesses' are at least 3 feet long to allow placement options for the HVAC ECU). Also manipulated more of the factory harness for various things to fit in their proper places (main fuse block, some ground wires, courtesy lights and door pin switches, etc.). I cleaned up the courtesy lights (the contacts were really rusty), ohm'd them out, and mounted them after I installed some new bulbs. Also repaired the tail section harness and plugged in the dome light (still need to run the tail section harness to its rightful place, but I wanted to test it first). Hooked up the battery and Lo & Behold - the dome & courtesy lights came on when I opened the doors (both door pins work fine).

I know it doesn't sound like much, but it's HUGE for my project - I HAVE INTERIOR LIGHTS!!! (and no smoke or fire!!!) I'll bet this is the first time the poor car has had any kind of electricity running through it in over 30 years.

Back