What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I know some of you will be jealous, but look what i found when i took the cowl cover off.

Not bad eh!

I guess i have to get lucky once in a while.

so now my cowl issues are just about resolved
That's good news Marc.

Drove to the car show, parked way out ILLEGALLY, Drove some more, actually got on the interstate and a guy and girl in a new charger (girl driving) giving me two thumbs up, then they pulled about 2 car lengths up and the window came down and he was actually hanging out the window from the waste up making sure I seen him giving me the thumbs up:D Stopped by the garage and drove some more then tucked her away in the garage.
Congrats Roy to a job well done. So how about those chrome jack stands. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! One sure does miss a lot when gone from here. I had to go down to Miami for a few days 1600 miles round trip. Then out to San Antonio for the long weekend...another 1600 miles roundtrip. So Roy'scar is done, cowls have been replaced, floors are being welded in, lots of major progress! Well done guys!

I still need to repair my fence when I get home. : /

Wow! One sure does miss a lot when gone from here. I had to go down to Miami for a few days 1600 miles round trip. Then out to San Antonio for the long weekend...another 1600 miles roundtrip. So Roy'scar is done, cowls have been replaced, floors are being welded in, lots of major progress! Well done guys!

I still need to repair my fence when I get home. : /
LOL not done but drivable,forgot to install my shock tower to firewall braces and today noticed a small oil leak, friday its going back to the garage for the Detroit locker install and find the oil leak:(

Thanks, all, for the kind words and thoughts for my buddy. Just got back from Idaho Falls about an hour ago.

Yahoo, Roy! Love it when ya get thumbs up from the "younger crowd". Can't wait to get to that point with my engine rebuild.

I gotta vote for the Rust Bullet, 71Mach, based on my research. But in the end, we all get to choose what products we use and which methods to follow. Do what makes you feel comfortable.

Doc

I FEEL like I made a lot of progress today, even though it doesn't really look like it. I blew through another stripping wheel getting the inner cowl cleaned up - lots of shiny metal now (which is not very apparent by the pictures for some reason... just trust me on that). I also managed to get the 'new' patches cut out and ready to go in (well, almost). Just gotta 'blast 'em, clean up the edges and fine tune the shapes, and weld them back together (the 'yard dawgs cut right through the air horns when they gave me the front clip last year - if I only would've known...). Then, cut out the rest of the bad stuff and get ready to weld in the 'new' pieces. I just pretty much laid them in there - so far, so good.

Here's the driver side initial 'test fit' - I cut it kinda long toward the middle... gonna trim a bunch tomorrow for a better fit:

396529_346393252038266_100000027814872_1334534_34399778_n.jpg

And here's the passenger side - this side is almost perfect in fit... could use a little more trimming though:

390300_346393228704935_100000027814872_1334533_1004912739_n.jpg

I also scored a bunch of 'Bonus' parts with the new piece of the donor car. Windshield wiper motor & linkage, driver side waffle vent insert, radio ground strap (mine got broken at the shop by one of the guys - sigh...), accelerator cable, gas pedal, door plunger switches, and some kind of weird thing I found on the passenger side "A" pillar about 10 inches above the rockers.

WTF.jpg

Anybody have any ideas? I was thinking some kind of 'ambient air temperature' sensor for an A/C equipped car... but I have no idea otherwise.

OK - got the cowl patches 'blasted, edges trimmed up, welded in patches from where the 'yard dawgs cut through [without any planning], and fitted everything in there. I got a little side-tracked helping my pal Jim fabricate some patches for his '63.5 Galazy 500 XL - the windshield and rear window channels are pretty shot in the corners (and the P.O. used tons of bondo to fill 'em in under the vinyl top).

Still gotta grind down the reassembly welds, glob on the seam sealer, and zap 'em down. Then clean the rest of the cowl, 'Rust Bullet' it and fold it back down.

403241_346970995313825_100000027814872_1335796_1616221933_n.jpg

Whaddaya think so far?

Last edited by a moderator:
OK - got the cowl patches 'blasted, edges trimmed up, welded in patches from where the 'yard dawgs cut through without planning and fitted everything in there. I got a litlte side-tracked helping my pal Jim fabricate some patches for his '63.5 Galazy 500 XL - the windshield channels are pretty shot in the corners (and the P.O. used tons of bondo to fill 'em in).

Still gotta grind down the reassembly welds, glob on the seam sealer, and zap 'em down. Then clean the rest of the cowl, 'Rust Bullet' it and fold it back down.

403241_346970995313825_100000027814872_1335796_1616221933_n.jpg

Whaddaya think so far?
::goodjob::

The guys at work blasted my upper cowl, the seat platforms, and the apron extensions which look tough to fix.

Jan 16-001.JPG

Jan 16-002.JPG

Jan 16-003.JPG

If I wasn't already going to be using mine, I'd send them to ya. I'll bet you could make some easy enough, though (I might try that next weekend if I have some time). Getting all the holes in the right place would be the tough part, I would think. At least they don't have the funky curves and 'dome-effect' like the cowl cover.

Your 'blasting looks great! I'm also glad to see I'm not the only one that must tackle these things in localized projects. I'd love to just take mine to a 'blaster and have it completely cleaned - but there isn't anybody here that could/would do it without charging me more than I paid for the car itself.

I'm thinking of picking up one of the hand-held soda units from HF and hitting my bad spots at the shop. They shouldn't have problems with the soda mess, I suppose.

Drove her into work today for a little show and tell:D You know I kinda miss this thread.................................................NOT
You know, if you're anything like the rest of us (and I'm sure you are) then you will start tinkering with it again soon enough. There's always something more to do!

And we'll be waiting here for ya!:D

I am still researching parts. I want to add sub frame connectors and I am looking for polyurethane bushings for my upper control arms on my 73 Mach. I am still torn between the Billet hood hinges and the old school look of original style of hinges. :)

Drove her into work today for a little show and tell:D You know I kinda miss this thread.................................................NOT

Come on Roy, get with the program.................................

:worthlesswithoutpics:

Come on Roy, get with the program.................................

:worthlesswithoutpics:
Yes, Roy, I mean now come on - what's up with this?

Went to the painter's...he's trying to get me in by mid February. BTW, he had a '71 that he just got the paint on. It's close to a Kandy Brandywine, and it looked friggin' AWESOME. Might have changed my mind again. Next time I stop by I'll snap a picture of it.

Back