What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been gettin' a lot done since Thursday.

Patched the inner bad spots in the rear frame rails (still need pics of the patches before I post). Took the torch to the shock mount cross member and got it into the shape it needed to be for the new sections from the '69-'70 cross member - and got them welded down yesterday (still gotta get pics of those as well).

Today, I got the driver's side door hinge pins replaced, so no more sagging and it swings and closes like it's supposed to now (finally - not to mention that will be key when it comes to lining up the new quarter panels).

Also, tacked in the 'redneck gas tank hammock' across the rear frame rails to keep 'em straight... then fired up the plasma cutter and zapped off the tail light panel, lower rear sections of the quarter panels, and rear cross member. After I cleaned up the ends of the frame rails, test-fitted the repop cross member and it fits like a glove. Should be able to weld it in tomorrow - just gotta grind off the spot-weld leftovers and fine-tune all the tabs.

425275_365069003504024_100000027814872_1382196_352800673_n.jpg

Tomorrow, gonna weld-in the cross member, clean up some more of the frame rails, slather the insides with Rust Bullet, and maybe test-fit the trunk pan (not going to say I'll get it zapped down, but maybe... just maybe... we'll see). Probably also cut off more of the quarters, and see how bad the outer wheel houses are (and decide if I need to get new ones, or can just fix what's there - I'm betting on making an order tomorrow evening...)

Great progress you're making! Keep up the good work. I started wire wheeling and sanding my door hinges after I found out the 2 rolls of duct tape I use to seal the top of my blast cabinet was used for a "tent building" today. :mad: Kids? Go figure! (was a nicely constructed tent though I must admit) :rolleyes:

Well today I'm really happy

Finally finished all the sheet metal work in the engine bay.

This is a big mile stone for me as i have been itching to pull the roof off the coupe

Feb 11-12 031.JPG

Here we have it,

Replaced all four aprons, rebuilt the apron extensions, rebuilt the upper and lower cowl, replace DS part of the radiator panel.

I would have never thought that this was this much work!

So i have a greater appreciation for the work that everyone else has done on the site.

Thanks guys - more pics later. Off to the shop.

This is a big mile stone for me as i have been itching to pull the roof off the coupe
AWESOME Job!

Here we have it,

Replaced all four aprons, rebuilt the apron extensions, rebuilt the upper and lower cowl, replace DS part of the radiator panel.

So i have a greater appreciation for the work that everyone else has done on the site.
Looks like a lot of work to me! Congrats on finishing that stage.

welp....today was going to be wiring day.... car club friend shows up..."hey new guy in the neighborhood just bought a 66... wont start, lets go help him out" poor guy between "cashiers" at the O'Reilly's giving him the wrong part and his attempt to learn about these old cars he was stuck. I have to give him credit... he's out there in the cold wanting to learn all he can.

Here we have it,

Nice Job M :)

Yep, until you actually tackle this type of work most people have no clue what it really takes to do this type of work CORRECTLY ! Now you know why top quality restoration shops charge the money they do.

Well, with the floor out of the way I figured I get a jump on the passenger door repair..started prepping the lower half of the donor door section I got from mach71351c Thanks Mike !

100_3347.JPG100_3348.JPG100_3349.JPG100_3350.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Here we have it,

Hey Marc. Nice progress. Can't wait to see how your going to do the roof. Mike

Here we have it,

Nice Job M :)

Yep, until you actually tackle this type of work most people have no clue what it really takes to do this type of work CORRECTLY ! Now you know why top quality restoration shops charge the money they do.

Well, with the floor out of the way I figured I get a jump on the passenger door repair..started prepping the lower half of the donor door section I got from mach71351c Thanks Mike !
Your welcome Scott. The duct tape was the wife's idea. She didn't want you to cut your hands removing it from the box. :D

OK - today went pretty well, all things considered.

The flange/punch tool I picked up from Harbor Freight snapped the head off when I attempted to use it to straighten one of the frame rail tabs. First try - POP! I guess that's why I call it, "the Dollar General of tool stores." I did get the 1-year warranty, so I'll pick up the new one tomorrow.

I got the rear cross member all welded up after a little tweaking of the frame rail tabs and grinding off the last of the factory spot welds. Fits in there nice and tight, thanks to the Redneck Gas Tank Hammock's last gasp (tossed it aside once I got this piece in).

404567_365833330094258_100000027814872_1384241_452587905_n.jpg

Then, dropped in the new trunk pan for some test fitting and discovered something really sucky: the pan from CJ Pony Parts (that I ordered because I thought I was saving a couple bucks) is actually 6" 'shorter' than the 'full pan' from Ohio Mustang Supply (WTF is up with that, anyway?!). Crap! Oh well - "my bad" on that one. Otherwise, it fits like a champ (except for falling short of the intermediate panel above the shock mounts, that is).

430281_365833370094254_100000027814872_1384242_559711889_n.jpg

So now I gotta score a piece of sheet metal (6" x 44"), bash it into shape, and weld it down before dropping the pan in 'for real,' thanks to my not paying attention when ordering the part (way back in early December before CJ pissed me off with all the 'back order nonsense'). Hemikiller's trunk build-up thread was huge today, because I also had the dilemma of wondering what goes in first - the pan or the drop offs? (The pan according to his fine pictures)

Hopefully, next weekend will be about getting the pan and drop-offs nailed down, and opening up the quarter panels to see how bad the outer wheel houses are. Hopefully, the sub-frame connectors my wife bought me will show up as well.

Hopefully, next weekend will be about getting the pan and drop-offs nailed down, and opening up the quarter panels to see how bad the outer wheel houses are. Hopefully, the sub-frame connectors my wife bought me will show up as well.
Eric,

Don't install the drop offs with out fitting the qtrs ! You want to fit BOTH pieces at the same time..The drop offs may require some trimming to fit properly.. You can sheet metal screw them to the pan WHERE you think they go for now..But don't weld till you put the qtrs on. Also you need the gas tank forward strap bracket (you did save that from the old pan ?) You should also fit the gas tank .. the filler neck...rear body panel....Trunk lid ..BEFORE welding the floor in..Just use a few sheet metal screws when you have everything aligned.

I put a ton of new parts and said that next time I drive, it will be in BODY SHOP. The auto show this weekend, I've got my '80 CJ-7 to prepare, once this is done, I was to the front end of the Ruston rehabilitation diving, while the engine machining plant.

Eric,

Don't install the drop offs with out fitting the qtrs ! You want to fit BOTH pieces at the same time..The drop offs may require some trimming to fit properly.. You can sheet metal screw them to the pan WHERE you think they go for now..But don't weld till you put the qtrs on. Also you need the gas tank forward strap bracket (you did save that from the old pan ?) You should also fit the gas tank .. the filler neck...rear body panel....Trunk lid ..BEFORE welding the floor in..Just use a few sheet metal screws when you have everything aligned.
Great advice! You deserve some reputation points for that!

Back