What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't had mine out in a while . . . but I'm rigging up a small solar-powered electric system to run a couple of lights, radio, etc. in my shop off of an inverter hooked to a deep-cell. So while I have the panel already mounted on the roof, before I decide where I want to put the battery & the inverter, I just hooked it up to the Mustang. After a couple of days, the charge controller shows a full charge. It's nice to know that when I do go to start it, the battery is ready.

Eric,Don't install the drop offs with out fitting the qtrs ! You want to fit BOTH pieces at the same time..The drop offs may require some trimming to fit properly.. You can sheet metal screw them to the pan WHERE you think they go for now..But don't weld till you put the qtrs on. Also you need the gas tank forward strap bracket (you did save that from the old pan ?) You should also fit the gas tank .. the filler neck...rear body panel....Trunk lid ..BEFORE welding the floor in..Just use a few sheet metal screws when you have everything aligned.
Good advice, as always. I guess I need to put some braces in between the frame rails and underside of the trunk opening, then cut the quarters off next and replace the upper right corner/trunk surround area. It also looks like it's time to order a gas tank kit and some straps as well as the outer wheel houses.

I did actually keep the forward strap bracket (there were also two much smaller, although similarly shaped brackets as well - not sure of the exact locations on those), but I'm not sure how useable it will be. It's pretty rusted and very thin in areas (I was planning on fabricating a new one - simple bends, shouldn't be too bad).

I know you mentioned getting the longer pan, and it makes perfect sense. But honestly, I can't justify it - the gap is only 5", and a 6"x44" piece of 16 or 18 gauge sheet metal is way cheaper than $145 + oversize shipping charges (just to fill the gap). Aside from the dimpled area just to the passenger side of the middle, it shouldn't take too much effort to get it into shape.

The lesson I learned from this mistake of mine is to pay more attention to what I'm ordering beyond the price and just a quick glance at the picture. ;) I still don't get why they would make a 'full' and 'short' version of the trunk pan, though - maybe I'm just dumb or something.

Well, spent some time this weekend stripping off miscellaneous trim pieces, removing the tail lights, and putting the new wheel spacers on. Paint will be delayed a little bit, but the car will be ready for it.

Now I have to remove the windshield, bumpers, and grill.

Joey blow this morning taping off the car to contain all the metal fragments from grinding....Started but ran out of flap discs..Oh well tomorrow is another day!

100_3351.JPG100_3352.JPG

I still love how those extraction vents came out. Will the Ram Air still function, or is it a non-Ram Air hood?

I still love how those extraction vents came out. Will the Ram Air still function, or is it a non-Ram Air hood?
Thanks Eric.

I intend to fabricate my own "cold air induction system" not using the factory setup.
Q!!! did you see my response in the cowl or no cowl thread to your comment about NASA ??? :D

Q!!! did you see my response in the cowl or no cowl thread to your comment about NASA ??? :D
Yes D I did..Are you on patrol today ? rofl
Haaa .... I didnt see this response before I bumped the post for you to be skeer'd!!!:D

Nahh I'm off duty at the moment....but I AM looking over all these evidence pages.

Changed the dash speaker...well that's what it started out as. Then it became, well while I'm this far I might as well...you know the deal!

Dash.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I got tired of sanding my car to the metal.. remembered I had a container of aircraft stripper and went to town with it.. Almost got the whole car down the metal in 1 day :)

419924_10150688920621995_610141994_11481755_1711171027_n.jpg

426935_10150688921776995_1931157327_n.jpg

430663_10150688922711995_610141994_11481763_214927901_n.jpg

409399_10150688923426995_610141994_11481767_921260077_n.jpg

424542_10150688920131995_610141994_11481753_1438342078_n.jpg

tommorow I will continue stripping, clean it up with scotchbrite and mineral spirits and sand the remaining paint off.. then I can cover the whole thing in primer :)

Good progress, Len! Aircraft stripper is awesome. When I first heard the term, I was thinking "how can I become a frequent flyer on that airline" only to find out it was something that took every bit of surface paint off of metal objects. :p

Let us see how it looks after tomorrow.

Doc

tommorow I will continue stripping, clean it up with scotchbrite and mineral spirits and sand the remaining paint off.. then I can cover the whole thing in primer :)
Just curious why you would use mineral spirits? Thats gonna come back to haunt you as your primer flakes off down the road. You should use prepsol or better, denatured alcohol or the best is spi waterbase wax & grease remover. if you don't want to have a adhesion problem . I would also recommend using an epoxy primer.

http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/Product%20lines.htm

Just curious why you would use mineral spirits? Thats gonna come back to haunt you as your primer flakes off down the road. You should use prepsol or better, denatured alcohol or the best is spi waterbase wax & grease remover. if you don't want to have a adhesion problem . I would also recommend using an epoxy primer.

The aircraft stripper says to clean with mineral spirits and an abrasive pad.. I'm guessing to neutralize the chemical. I am going to go over the whole car with a DA again to get the spirits and small imperfections off, then use prepsol before I paint it.. I am using a self etching primer which is working great so far.

-Thanks Doc!

The aircraft stripper says to clean with mineral spirits and an abrasive pad.. I'm guessing to neutralize the chemical. I am going to go over the whole car with a DA again to get the spirits and small imperfections off, then use prepsol before I paint it.. I am using a self etching primer which is working great so far.

-Thanks Doc!
Beats the hell out of sanding it all down

keep us up to date on how it works out

Back