What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Body shop was not happy with the way the bonnet looked. Felt it needed something extra so put some inserts on 

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-21 at 10.55.35.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-21 at 10.56.14.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-21 at 10.56.23.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-21 at 10.59.33.jpeg

Replaced castor rod bushes, replaced front spring saddles, replaced front sock absorbers, replaced rust battery tray..

Fairly busy day really.

On your 8-Track. I have several in car and in home. One thing that people do not think much about are the tapes. There is a place on the net that sells new rubber wheels and one thing that goes bad is the foam pad behind the tape. Will cause the player to eat the tape. Be sure can clean the head and the drive on the side that pulls the tape across. If it gets dirty tape will surely stick and make a mess. You can get them to wind back up sometimes by pulling on the tape fast and it will rewind sometimes. It is tricky getting the cases apart you have to pry the hooked pins to the side and spread the case open. I might have 50 or so tapes.
So go search the net and find the repair parts for the tapes so you do not eat them all up.

20210327_142430.jpg

Put Pilterbilt truck pull-switch as replacement to the naff Ford design for this location  - solid metal construction 

knob is machined metal chromed  - and your knee  doesn't foul it

...a better quality option folks 

peterbilt.jpg

switch.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Stick Gator was toast... all perished away 

So wanted to make a hairy version like the Jagwaar XJS has ( I had one years ago - V12)

I bent my stiff bits to the right curve --- then trimmed my pubes to the right length with a little interlacing between partners. 

View attachment 50396

Mounted them and epoxy was used to make sure they stayed put. 
I've been wanting to do this. Where did you get the brushes at? 

Heard a ticking noise coming from the engine bay. It has been a few days that I hear it but it was not coming from inside the engine since it was not constant and did not detected it with the stethoscope. Today it got worst while at an AutoX event. Eventually I noticed that the engine pulley was wobbly. It happens that two of the bolts were gone and the two left were loose. No wonder. I was lucky to caught it. I ended up removing one and tightened them  180 degrees apart and made it home.

Now I have to get new bolts and I will use Loctite this time. The stock bolts have a serrated washer that is meant to prevent rotation but I think I will be better with Loctite. I think the main issue is that I reused the old bolts instead of getting new ones when I put the engine together.

Heard a ticking noise coming from the engine bay. It has been a few days that I hear it but it was not coming from inside the engine since it was not constant and did not detected it with the stethoscope. Today it got worst while at an AutoX event. Eventually I noticed that the engine pulley was wobbly. It happens that two of the bolts were gone and the two left were loose. No wonder. I was lucky to caught it. I ended up removing one and tightened them  180 degrees apart and made it home.

Now I have to get new bolts and I will use Loctite this time. The stock bolts have a serrated washer that is meant to prevent rotation but I think I will be better with Loctite. I think the main issue is that I reused the old bolts instead of getting new ones when I put the engine together.
Lucky you caught it before it came off.. Lords knows what kind of damage it would have caused flying around under the hood.  Glad you made it home ok.

I've been wanting to do this. Where did you get the brushes at? 
YO! ! ! Big Red 

they are stolen from these https://www.ebay.com/itm/223543502866 

Yes - a mail box  :thumb:

I just trimmed the pubes to the right size  :whistling:  with sharp scissors

They have a very heavy spine - I cut to size with heavy wire cutters and pinch down the two ends closed -

To get the curve- I just gently tease it with a small bench vice to help until I get the right radius for where the old rubbery gator went. It takes a bit of patience 

It is good to rough up the surface in there and use brake cleaner (IPA) to ensure no grease exists 

Place back the original gator metal shim held by the two capture washers

Then finally bond everything down with https://www.ebay.com/itm/363188053955 - when you're all satisfyingly "stiff" - replace back sending your big stick through the now hairy slot  :cool:

pubes copy.jpg

Been working on the rad support frame and headlight assembly's, knocking out dents, cleaning and working out correct bolts, sanding cleaning and painting.

A slection of Metric, and mis-matched bolts some idiot had used throwing the damaged car together!   It really annoys me when the wrong bolts are used! 

IMG_20210426_121828.jpg

Since the back is still out been finding and cleaning bolt on parts. Got quite a pile going. I did kick panels, one dash end, two radiator hold downs, window guide rods and one window lift. Also got the AM / Track bezel painted and wiped the paint back off the chrome outlines and volume and tuning letters. Cleaned some on the rear window guides and blasted some. Blasted the gas filler and flattened flange and sprayed. Cleaned grease and paint off hood hinges and parking brake with oven cleaner. Turned out an off brand worked better than Easy Off who took something out. After a couple days of drying I wrap in stretch wrap and put in boxes labeled where they go.
Can't get up on the mezzanine to get more parts will see who can come over help me move stuff around.
I do need a Mach 1 grill 1972 since this car will have Decor Group. I have several sets of the stainless trim but not a good grill two broke ones. I might go to my friends shop and make a new pivot pin for the hood release and get that staked in tomorrow then I can blast the hood latch, hood hinges, parking brake and gas pedal bracket and to the Manganese Phosphate on them. Will do some pics on that so all can learn it is simple to do just take a while to prep.

What does the Manganese Phosphate do??   Stop talking so fast...... how we supposed to learn :) 

Take Care

Rod

LOL, I do type with both hands and do not look at keyboard. My co workers use to get pissed because in training I was always done first.
Anyway, Ford used Manganese Phosphate on components that they felt paint might interfere with the operation. If you paint hood hinges, hood latches, parking brakes and gas pedals it can make them stick and not operate smoothly. The MP is what most know as Parkerizing, been used on guns for years to prevent rust. When you get a new cam most have M.P. coating on them for break in. The lobes look frosty and gray.
It is somewhat of a rust prevent but for sure not as good as plating but it does get into all the cracks and crevices that plating cannot get into. If you tried to plate a hood hinge assembled it would be horrible mess.
After the M.P. coating you spray several times with WD-40 and I am going to experiment with hot waxing to see if it will work. Ford use to dip their truck frames in hot wax to seal them up.
The most difficult thing is finding a container large enough to put the hood hinges in. I do remove the springs and put a piece of conduit to hold the coils apart to get full coverage.
Will take several day for me to prep my vacuum went out on blast cabinet so have to do something there also.
Here is link to site I get the chemicals from in S.C. you can get done at plating shops also. It just matches to what Ford did originally.
https://www.palmettoenterprisesparkerizing.com/product-page/manganes-pint-16oz
I ordered a gallon of chemical which gets expensive but going to do three sets of hinges and latches and stuff.

YO! ! ! Big Red 

they are stolen from these https://www.ebay.com/itm/223543502866 

Yes - a mail box  :thumb:

I just trimmed the pubes to the right size  :whistling:  with sharp scissors

They have a very heavy spine - I cut to size with heavy wire cutters and pinch down the two ends closed -

To get the curve- I just gently tease it with a small bench vice to help until I get the right radius for where the old rubbery gator went. It takes a bit of patience 

It is good to rough up the surface in there and use brake cleaner (IPA) to ensure no grease exists 

Place back the original gator metal shim held by the two capture washers

Then finally bond everything down with https://www.ebay.com/itm/363188053955 - when you're all satisfyingly "stiff" - replace back sending your big stick through the now hairy slot  :cool:

View attachment 50662
I tried to do this, but it isn’t as easy as you make it look! 
So I ordered a new one fro OMS, can’t wait to get it!

Rebuild brakes and flush brake system on the 72 Mach 1.

Replaced all 4 wheel cylinders and replaced master cylinder.

A good mate came over in his convertible to help out.

IMG_5304 (Large)1.jpg

IMG_5302 (Large).JPG

I see you still have 4 wheel drum brakes. Most people here in the U.S. do not realize that you need to grind the arch on the new shoes to fit the drum. If the drum is bell mouthed you need to turn within Max. spec. cast into the drum. I recently found one of the Ammco 8,000 shoe grinders and did a refurb on it. I am missing one piece that I will either make or find one.
When the asbestos scare hit in the 70's most shops took the grinders out. They do have a dust collection bag and I will also roll outside when I use it and wear a mask. I know Australia has cracked down on antique vehicles coming into the country with any asbestos parts such as brake shoes, clutches, gaskets and actually the undercoat and seam sealer Ford used had asbestos as a filler.
If you do not grind the shoes they have to wear in to fit the drum that is the reason drum brakes get a bad wrap. You start out with as little as 30% brake if not ground. You might check with some old shops to see if they still have one. This one will do from 6" dia. to 16" dia.. I think heavy trucks still do the grinding since they mostly have shoes. I also have and Ammco brake drum and rotor lathe. If you shop around the one I got was $350 and the grinder was $150. Some cleaning and few cans of paint looks like new.

20210418_173125.jpg

20210418_173136.jpg

20210418_173201.jpg

I finished up the front lighting between other chores and watching 2 young grandsons over the weekend. I went out with some gearhead friends on Friday evening and while talking I decided to wire the 73 turn signals as running lights. I have the 71-72 turn signals below the bumper so why not? There was a keyed hot wire in the harness for an electric fan I'm not using so... there ya go. The side markers are wired to flash with the turn signals. I installed a relay harness for the headlights and used the Hella globes and LED lights discussed in my headlight relay thread. There's no power yet so I'll have to wait to see how it works. On to the tail section. That should be simpler with less changes. 

Back