What do the original factory / dealer installed speakers look like?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdennis

Reaction score
Gents,

I have a 7/72 Mach 1 with a factory optioned AM radio on the build sheet. 

My car has speakers installed behind the front seats in the side panels below the small quarter windows. They look like this.

Are these the original ones per Ford or has someone replaced them?

The one on the drivers side is cracked on the outer rim and does not hold onto the metal speaker.. But is fixable. (I think).

Any info would be appreciated.

20210409_173243 (Large).jpg

Those are aftermarket. Ford installed the stereo speakers in the front lower inside of the door and they had a rectangular plastic grille covering them. AM mono speaker was under the perforation pattern in the top of the dash. 

They are aftermarket for sure. My car was also an AM radio only car. The only speaker in it is in the center of the dash. If it were AM/FM, it would have had door speakers and a twin speaker in the dash.

Hmm , Hemikiller beat me too it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. I do see the grill for a speaker in the dash. Will have to get in there and have a look. Will need to find some replacement speakers for the rear that look like they came from the 70's.. 

Would be nice to replace the plastics in the back as they look brittle and a bit scuffed up but Im guessing they are not made and hard to get in Ginger.

You might find this thread interesting. Although I did not as per usual take picture as I do things, I describe what I did to "hide" a pair of 4" speakers under the rear parcel shelf. Our cars only had door speakers and 2 small center speakers for AM/FM radios and only 1 center speaker for AM. I also comment that personally, I don't want big loud speakers and if I want big loud sound, I roll the windows down and listen to my Flowmaster FlowFX mufflers. (or words to that effect)

https://7173mustangs.com/forums/topic/37831-amfm-radio/?do=findComment&comment=385323

Thanks for the link to the other thread. I may look at one of the bluetooth/usb ones to install and replace the current speakers with decent ones. 

Thanks again.

Brendan.

We all have a car with holes in the hard to find rear panels I think. I never added any to my 73 I got new. There are no repo panels that fit. Finding good ones is difficult. The north east U.S. has the best ones. The plastic likes cold weather and turns to chalk if in the heat or desert like the south west.
I bought a couple sets of the door speakers in the 70's they are hard to find NOS for sure. I have 4 cars with door speaker and three with PW and door speakers. That wire harness is difficult to find. Here is what the door speakers look like and the boots and wires.
I did locate good Ginger door panels with door speakers for my 72 Q build it had AM/ 8 Track so it came with door speakers. The AM/FM also had door speakers. The 71 speaker grill is a one year thing has one reinforcement in the middle and they broke easily.

20200804_154359.jpg

20200804_154452.jpg

20200804_162047.jpg

20200804_162053.jpg

20200804_162138.jpg

DSC_1270.JPG

DSC_1275.JPG

DSC_1276.JPG

DSC_1277.JPG

20200702_181016.jpg

David, Thanks for the info.

I will remove the old crappy speakers and install new ones that don't look to modern, if I can find any.

Brendan..

Back