What gear ratio?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
calculating the speedo gear is a problem there is actually software that calculates it but it costs a lot of money i had a license for the software but that was a couple of computers ago and i no longer have access to it.

i don't know how accurate this is

http://www.tciauto.com/tc/speedometer-gear-calculator/

or

http://www.classic-cougar.com/tools/speedocalc/speedocalc.php

when you do the calculations by hand you end up with numbers like 11.5 or 13.9 so you have to round up or down and there is a percentage of error involved.

changing a speedo gear in the trans at least for a C6 is very easy. there is one bolt you pull out the cable with gear, pop the clip and then install a new gear and pop it back in. there is no fluid loss at least with a C6.

when you change the gear find a road with a speed sensor that shows your current speed, and drive it with the new rear end and see how off you are, then buy a couple of gears and try them out.

with my car i did the software method then i tested the car on a road with a speed camera and confirmed i was basically right on the mark.

there are not too many gears to choose from so it wouldn't be that hard to just keep swapping them.

i used to have a 2.75:1 ratio and at 65 it was about 2500, i needed to replace the gears due to damage and i had to go with a 3.00:1 ratio because they do not make 2.75:1 ratios any more. so at about 70 i'm running about 2900rpms. i do a lot of highway driving and honestly i hate the lower ratio i would of loved to have stuck with the 2.75 but at the time i didn't have a choice. what sucks is running at 75-80mph to keep up with traffic. i'm up towards 3500rpms and it just gets really loud inside the car. so it kind of forces me to go 60-65 and i have to stay in the right lane.

i can't even imagine guys that have 4.25 in the back doing 5000rpms at highway speed its like screaming going slow.

These are P235/60R14. Car now has 2.75 rear and trying to decide

if to put in the 3.50 Trac-Lok I got from Don. Don't do much hiway

driving. I would get better snap at the gas pedal I guess.

mike
Mike, Are you sure about your gears? Yours is a 4-speed M-code?

you can also use a flat road with mile markers and try different speeds until you pass 1 mile in 60 seconds then note your speedo speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
These are P235/60R14. Car now has 2.75 rear and trying to decide

if to put in the 3.50 Trac-Lok I got from Don. Don't do much hiway

driving. I would get better snap at the gas pedal I guess.

mike
Mike, Are you sure about your gears? Yours is a 4-speed M-code?
Yeh, original was 3.25 standard. When I bought the car from my

mechanic he had installed a 2.75 "posi" because he did a lot of freeway

driving. I bought (stole) a 3.50 Trak -Loc from Don of OMS. It is in

mint condition just waiting to be slapped in the car, a 3 hour driveway

job.

mike

2.75 is pretty steep for a 4 speed
Yes! And this engine will pull the car up an incline at 400 RPM like

a tractor. The 3.50 should launch this car.

mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike, that's why I asked. The 3.25 would have come as standard equipment. User mdunlap is looking for a 2L75 rear for his car which was what came in his car. I've net Marc twice now, super nice guy.

Back