what is the best way to fix

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 mustang convertible
94 mustang gt convertible
Pretty darn close to a virgin here when it comes to any body work besides replacing pieces. I was replacing the trunk molding and ran into a few rust patches that were under the molding. what would the best way to repair the pieces that have rusted thru

2012_0324AA.JPG

2012_0324AC.JPG

The best way... Cut out the rotted metal and replace with fresh metal. I'm not sure they make re-pop trunk channel, you may need to form a piece from flat stock.
They do not make a re-pop trunk channel - that portion comes as the top part of the tail light panel.

It's not really a repair, per se, but if the bad spots are small enough and don't affect the functionality of the trunk seal, it might not be bad to simply remove the bad spots of metal and protect them (with some anti-rust agent, primer, and maybe some body color, and leave them at that. You won't see the bad spots with the trunk seal installed, and if you ever have to replace the tail light panel, you won't have to worry about it.

If you can weld, or know someone who can, you could possibly patch just the holes with some small pieces of sheet metal. Or, cut the bad sections out (be very careful you don't cut too far into the visible part of the tail light panel itself or you'll have bigger problems) and replace them with some 'grafts' from another vehicle.

I'll check the panel I recently removed from the Rustang, and if there's a good part of it big enough that you can use, I'll be happy to mail it to you.

Pretty darn close to a virgin here when it comes to any body work besides replacing pieces. I was replacing the trunk molding and ran into a few rust patches that were under the molding. what would the best way to repair the pieces that have rusted thru
Very simple repair..remove all rust scale etc..Take copper welding spoon..http://www.harborfreight.com/welding-spoon-66785.html

Hold behind the hole....Fill with mig...Grind to shape/contour..Add more if required after 1st shaping..since that area is hidden...you can use rust bullet or epoxy primer..Brushed on after your done.:)

Very simple repair..remove all rust scale etc..Take copper welding spoon..http://www.harborfreight.com/welding-spoon-66785.html

Hold behind the hole....Fill with mig...Grind to shape/contour..Add more if required after 1st shaping..since that area is hidden...you can use rust bullet or epoxy primer..Brushed on after your done.:)
^^^ What he said - even better.

You can try what q said first, It will be hard to fill the hole if the metal is thin. I think that metal is a little thicker in that spot and I prefer q's method. Please be advised IF the hole begins to get bigger don't feel bad or get mad and Throw tools like I might do :) . Just move onto eric's method. Hey these guys got you covered here, more than one way to skin the kitty cat. "May your holes fill easily and grind to perfection" that may be my signature line from now on :)

If you want a piece I still have my old tailight panel and can cut you out about a foot that is still good. But that small of a hole should be a simple repair, but as said with a mig the thin stuff around it is going to go fast and it will get bigger

well i didn't have access to a welder so i took a piece of steel screening in behind the trunk lid and put a 3/8" x 2" piece of steel behind it. i then took an old old 250w soldering iron and melted lead into the hole with the mesh. the lead bonded to the trunk and the screening and i am cleaning it up. i did bubble the paint a little sure hope it works

2012_0331AG.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
well i didn't have access to a welder so i took a piece of steel screening in behind the trunk lid and put a 3/8" x 2" piece of steel behind it. i then took an old old 250w soldering iron and melted lead into the hole with the mesh. the lead bonded to the trunk and the screening and i am cleaning it up. i did bubble the paint a little sure hope it works
Of all the arts forms, the most noble and self gratifying is the art of improvisation.

And, don't use the V word around here. The last thing we need is to get rocketfoot excited.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is actually a good repair! Body solder is a lost art & very few know how to do it..The only thing is to make sure to neutralize the flux..A mixture of baking soda & water

Back