What makes this 1 of 50?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All,

Look at the transmission picture. Is that an FMX transmission down under? Maybe $15K

mustang7173
Good catch! Is not a "U" C6. That is a FMX transmission. I had an FMX behind my M code 70 Torino GT and it was a good transmission. But at $42,500.00 without the original engine or transmission!? The only thing that made this car unique (71 "Q" engine) is missing. No thank you! $15k..how about $10k, AFTER a very thorough inspection to see how much rust, bondo, etc is hiding under that shiny red paint!

Way too much wrong-missing for the price. Good reason I don't trust these professional car flippers!

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it might be a C4. Here is our latest correspondence:

From them:

"Take a look at the marti report and research a little further. You will see it is in fact a Q code cobra jet. That's why we like these cars as there is so much to learn. Your input is appreciated. "

My response:

Hi,

I don't disagree that it is a Q code car. And they are rare. Just wanted you to understand the engine currently in the car is not the original engine and it is not a cobra jet engine. Most people would look at the air cleaner, valve covers, Mallory distributor, etc and know that it is not 'as it came from the factory' but many will not recognize it is not really a Cobra Jet. The transmission is also not a C6.

I am not trying to nit pick. I don't troll Ebay looking for auctions I can offer up advice on. I haven't sent an ebay message in months to anyone about anything.

If you were a private seller I probably wouldn't bother. But your reputation seems important to you and the 71/73 cars are not as well known as the earlier Mustangs. Your auction gives the strong impression the car has a Cobra Jet Engine and a C6 transmission.

Thanks

I thought it might be a C4. Here is our latest correspondence:

From them:

"Take a look at the marti report and research a little further. You will see it is in fact a Q code cobra jet. That's why we like these cars as there is so much to learn. Your input is appreciated. "

My response:

Hi,

I don't disagree that it is a Q code car. And they are rare. Just wanted you to understand the engine currently in the car is not the original engine and it is not a cobra jet engine. Most people would look at the air cleaner, valve covers, Mallory distributor, etc and know that it is not 'as it came from the factory' but many will not recognize it is not really a Cobra Jet. The transmission is also not a C6.

I am not trying to nit pick. I don't troll Ebay looking for auctions I can offer up advice on. I haven't sent an ebay message in months to anyone about anything.

If you were a private seller I probably wouldn't bother. But your reputation seems important to you and the 71/73 cars are not as well known as the earlier Mustangs. Your auction gives the strong impression the car has a Cobra Jet Engine and a C6 transmission.

Thanks
Looks like they're just using the info from the Marti report and would probably claim ignorance it someone complained after the sale. That's what the report says would be their defense.

I doubt they even know what the Q in the vin code implies or follow what you are trying to explain to them. Seems crazy that they are trying to sell things just based on the vin irregardless of whats actually in the car. I can imagine they saying "OK, its got a 6 cylinder but the vin claims its a Boss 302!, We just sell em 'as-is' !".

Way too much wrong-missing for the price. Good reason I don't trust these professional car flippers!
I think we all agree it's a good-lookin' car, and if everything's done well, would make a nice car for someone wanting a solid '71-'73 Mustang.

But yeah, when professional car flippers are involved, it's definitely a case of buyer beware. One of the defining moments for me was on Fast & Loud with the green '72 Mustang when Richard told them to throw on some of them Mach 1 stripes to sweeten the pot. I was SO done with that show. They tell you your junk ain't worth crap to low-ball the asking price, then do the minimum to get a little bit of wow factor, then jack up the price and lie their asses off to make profit. I'm sorry, but that's just plain old fraud to me.

It really IS a nice car... and I could see myself maybe going as high as $25K ONLY because it's obvious the seller's using no longer valid credentials as big money selling points.

They wrote me back, thanked me for the input and said they would research it.

I just looked at the ad. They updated almost all references to the engine being a cobra jet except the subtitle. They removed the reference to the factory c6 transmission too. It still shows up in 'sellers notes' but I don't know if that is an editable field.

I am leaning towards they didn't know it wasn't a real Cobra Jet engine. A lot of people are not as schooled on these cars as we are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good job, Will E... ::thumb::

I am wondering about if the car still looks as nice in real as in the photos. As often in real it is a little different than it looked on pictures by such dealers...

All in all picture by picture it looks good to me until I saw the hood-up picture and I got eye-cancer... How can somebody start so good (told from the pictures) and goof it with that engine-bay-bling-bling and the usual fails! But that is often the same story... A Windsor-engine is not a bad motor - my best friend with his '69 takes some serious riot out of it! But a 71-73 (if not a Resto-Mod) classic-wise must have a Cleveland, basta!

If all was made well somebody would get a well-done car - but the price is way too high. With all that mods it has to be a Boss at least, with a 4-speed!

1971 Q code C6 Mach 1 - only 50 built. Don (OMS) is right about total of 135 for all 71 Q codes which accounts for the other body styles. BTW only 5 convertible 71 Q codes; 4 C-6 autos and only ONE 4 speed! WOW.

Ray

Back